ALERT: Bickler-era live concerts audio surfaced on YT!!

RIP Frankie's Playtoy

Moderator: Andrew

ALERT: Bickler-era live concerts audio surfaced on YT!!

Postby Mikele » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:08 pm

Just came across these when looking for another bootleg I already knew:

- Survivor Live from Wheeling, WV 11-22-82
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WehHdEwHCqs

- Survivor Live from Studio One 1980
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5zzqh9Fy5I

The guy has posted other gems and demo and is going to be posting more of the Bickler lost era in the next months!
Mikele
45 RPM

Re: ALERT: Bickler-era live concerts audio surfaced on YT!!

Postby Journey/Survivor » Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:54 pm

That's awesome news! Thank you for posting that!

Unfortunately for me, I am not currently able to view those shows, much less download them. :cry:
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Mikele » Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:16 am

Journey/Survivor wrote:That's awesome news! Thank you for posting that!

Unfortunately for me, I am not currently able to view those shows, much less download them. :cry:

Can I in any way help?
Mikele
45 RPM

Postby Journey/Survivor » Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:52 pm

Mikele wrote:
Journey/Survivor wrote:That's awesome news! Thank you for posting that!

Can I in any way help?

That's extremely nice of you to ask!!!

My problem is that I have an autoimmune disorder that causes me to have extreme inflammation and extreme pain, as well as many other health issues. I have very little use of my hands anymore from extreme arthritis in my hands. I am unable to work, and I keep getting denied for disability payments from social security. I am currently waiting on a decision from a judge in my latest attempt to get the disability payments. I may find out literally any day now?

Since I'm dead broke and can't buy a new computer I had been using my old computer for about 15 years. It died a couple of years ago, so a friend of mine gave me one of his old computers that was already outdated a couple of years ago.
I can only barely afford to pay for dial-up internet. Therefore my connection is too slow to view YouTube clips.

I suppose that if you were able to download some of the Survivor stuff off of YouTube and send it to me that I could send you a small amount of money in return for your trouble? But I don't know if that is even possible for you to do? If it's not possible for you don't feel bad about that! I more than understand if you're not able or are too busy. I certainly don't want to put you out in any way!!!

I might be able to get a friend of mine to eventually download the stuff for me if it stays on YT long enough?

Like I said, if that would be a problem for you to do, then don't worry about it. It's just nice of you to even ask!
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Mikele » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:50 pm

Journey/Survivor check your inbox I've sent you a PM
Mikele
45 RPM

Postby Mikele » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:43 pm

Of great notice, the 1978 demo (amazing!) includes many of the songs that were mentioned here on the board years ago in this topic
viewtopic.php?t=15448

Anyone heard these gems? Or it is too late already to enjoy? I thought this would resuscitate this place immediately :)
Mikele
45 RPM

Postby Journey/Survivor » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:45 pm

Mikele wrote:Of great notice, the 1978 demo (amazing!) includes many of the songs that were mentioned here on the board years ago in this topic
https://forums.melodicrock.com/phpBB/vi ... hp?t=15448

Anyone heard these gems? Or it is too late already to enjoy? I thought this would resuscitate this place immediately :)

I've heard several of those songs played live by Survivor from the bootleg of their second ever live performance. But that's the only time I've heard them. It would be awesome to finally have those studio demos!!!

Unfortunately, so few people are posting here anymore (In the Survivor forum) that I think that that's why there aren't a lot of people posting how excited they are to hear the stuff?

I'm sure that when more people see this thread they'll be very happy to find out that some of this stuff is finally seeing the light of day!

Like you said, this is the biggest news here in this forum in the last 15 years!

Thanks for letting us all know about the stuff being on YouTube!
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Flip » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:55 pm

I think most Survivor fans saw the posts on You-Tube and probably everyone was as pleased as you to see these great track finally come out the dust.
The die-hard fans are still out there but unfortunatly the real Survivor is dead and I think that's why most people lost interest in joining this board.
Besides that for me Survivor is still the geatest band ever and I'm very thankful that Jim Peterik has always come up with some Survivor kinda music.
Let's just hope the guy on You-Tube can provide some more treasures for us crazy fans!!

Over thelast weeks me and a few other die-hard fans have checked out what is out there on Survivor recordings and we also checked all the recording on date and veneu and other info. We've managed to correct everything and it was a pretty huge list.
I've put al the info on a blog just as a helpfull tool for us fans but also as a tribute to my all time favourite band.
You can find the blog here : http://aorflipside.blogspot.com/

Hope you enjoy it guys!
Flip
Radio Waves

Postby Mikele » Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:21 pm

Flip wrote:I think most Survivor fans saw the posts on You-Tube and probably everyone was as pleased as you to see these great track finally come out the dust.
The die-hard fans are still out there but unfortunatly the real Survivor is dead and I think that's why most people lost interest in joining this board.
Besides that for me Survivor is still the geatest band ever and I'm very thankful that Jim Peterik has always come up with some Survivor kinda music.
Let's just hope the guy on You-Tube can provide some more treasures for us crazy fans!!

Over thelast weeks me and a few other die-hard fans have checked out what is out there on Survivor recordings and we also checked all the recording on date and veneu and other info. We've managed to correct everything and it was a pretty huge list.
I've put al the info on a blog just as a helpfull tool for us fans but also as a tribute to my all time favourite band.
You can find the blog here : http://aorflipside.blogspot.com/

Hope you enjoy it guys!

Hey Flip, thanx that's an amazing job!
I was going to ask you guys to complete the unofficial recordings sections at the Discogs website (which is way outdated), but you and your friends did all the work!
One question: did you do all the artworks for the " Survivor the concert recordings" series? And are these complete recordings floating around?
(note: for the recently released mp3s "Sucker Punch" the uncorrect year on the cover (1986) it's another dramatic stab at the fans,,,)
Thanx again
Mikele
45 RPM

Postby Flip » Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:51 am

It was a pretty difficlut task to check all the recordings we found on the internet. Some recordings were the same but with different date and venues and other had hardly info on it. Although hard work and time cunsuming it was fun doing.
All the recordings we found on the internet, it was collected over more than 20 years and really don't have an idea where or from what site they came, a lot of them are on You-Tube.

The Sucker Punch release is an official release but only released digital, A disc release is an option but I doubt it.
Flip
Radio Waves

Postby Journey/Survivor » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:06 pm

I bumped a couple of the old threads that list a lot of the Survivor info of past albums and songs so that they will be easier to find in case that helps anyone?

Or, of course I can also do this....

http://forums.melodicrock.com/phpBB/vie ... 2e0f105883

Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Slander » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:03 am

On a personal note. It's great to see some old faces on here, enjoying Mr. Bickler! My god, the arguments we had over the years about everything from Jamo, Robin, etc. It was and will always be about the music. It's so good to hear these songs. I had the pleasure of interviewing Dave right after Frankie shafted him yet again. What a class act! Love him. I'm so glad his talent is getting recognized again. How about that Super Bowl ad? How cool was that. Terrific solo effort. Good things indeed happen to good people. By the way, I had never heard Missing Persons! Wow. Blown away. Hello again everybody.
"But it ain't about how hard you hit... it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward." Rocky Balboa
Slander
Stereo LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:44 pm

Slander wrote:On a personal note. It's great to see some old faces on here, enjoying Mr. Bickler! My god, the arguments we had over the years about everything from Jamo, Robin, etc. It was and will always be about the music. It's so good to hear these songs. I had the pleasure of interviewing Dave right after Frankie shafted him yet again. What a class act! Love him. I'm so glad his talent is getting recognized again. How about that Super Bowl ad? How cool was that. Terrific solo effort. Good things indeed happen to good people. By the way, I had never heard Missing Persons! Wow. Blown away. Hello again everybody.

Hey Slander, it's good to hear from you again! I remember a lot of the battles that you had on here with some members of the forum. In the end it's great that we're all huge fans of Survivor, and hopefully we've all had some good times posting on here as fellow fans!
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:04 pm

A few questions for any of you who can answer these for me...

That "Sucker Punch" recording, is it the exact same broadcast as the 1985 Indianapolis show that was on Westwood One? Is it newly remastered or are there any other changes from the Westwood One broadcast or the Extended Versions release?

Are all of the unreleased Survivor demos songs that were intended to be on the Premonition album, or are some from the self titled album? In this case I'm referring to the demos from the late 70s/early 80s, not the demos from the 1990s.

If I recall correctly, I believe that Gary Smith once posted a demo on his website that was from the self titled Survivor album? Is that one of the songs that is on YouTube, and are there any other demos of songs that did make it onto the self titled album?

When it says that Fire Makes Steel was remastered in 2019, was that some how officially remastered in a studio, or was it done by a fan?
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Mikele » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:13 pm

Slander wrote:On a personal note. It's great to see some old faces on here, enjoying Mr. Bickler! My god, the arguments we had over the years about everything from Jamo, Robin, etc. It was and will always be about the music. It's so good to hear these songs. I had the pleasure of interviewing Dave right after Frankie shafted him yet again. What a class act! Love him. I'm so glad his talent is getting recognized again. How about that Super Bowl ad? How cool was that. Terrific solo effort. Good things indeed happen to good people. By the way, I had never heard Missing Persons! Wow. Blown away. Hello again everybody.

Hi there! I hoped to see the interest spark as this is every Survivors fan dream come true. Can't have enough praise for Bickler: he's the original guy of my favorite all time band and he should be still fronting it...
Mikele
45 RPM

Postby Mikele » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:21 pm

Journey/Survivor wrote:A few questions for any of you who can answer these for me...

That "Sucker Punch" recording, is it the exact same broadcast as the 1985 Indianapolis show that was on Westwood One? Is it newly remastered or are there any other changes from the Westwood One broadcast or the Extended Versions release?

If I recall correctly, I believe that Gary Smith once posted a demo on his website that was from the self titled Survivor album? Is that one of the songs that is on YouTube, and are there any other demos of songs that did make it onto the self titled album?

When it says that Fire Makes Steel was remastered in 2019, was that some how officially remastered in a studio, or was it done by a fan?

As far as I know, Flip can correct me of course, it is the same soundboard recording of the 1984 show in Indy. I haven't compared them yet. The "extended versions" album was instead recorded in Japan 1985.

Gary Smith posted Whole towns talking, if I'm correct, the rough version. It is not among the ones that came out these last days, but you can still find it somewhere on the net.

Fire makes still remastered I don't have any idea...i seriously doubt it was done officially thou
Mikele
45 RPM

Postby Flip » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:22 am

Sucker Punch is indeed the 1984 recording.

Fire Makes Steel Remastered is done by someone who is not profesional but does it for a hobby.
Flip
Radio Waves

Postby Journey/Survivor » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:14 pm

Thank you Mikele and Flip for the responses!

I was getting my live shows mixed up in my mind. I have most of the Westwood One Indianapolis show because I bought the records that Westwood One originally used for the radio broadcasts. But the records don't include 2 or 3 of the songs that were released in other formats, so I don't have those songs.

I have the Japan concert on VHS that MTV aired in the mid 80s. And I have the Extended Versions CD. But again, I don't think that those include the full show?
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:18 pm

I remember one time several years ago finding a website that listed the title of every song that Jim Peterik ever wrote, including a lot of unreleased songs.

By chance, does anyone know what website that may have been? From what I recall I think that it was a very plain looking page, but it served its purpose well.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:50 pm

This first link is for a website that lists every hit song that Jim Peterik ever wrote and where it charted on the Billboard Chart.

https://www.musicvf.com/songs.php?page= ... rchartstab

This second link is for a website that list almost everything that Neal Schon ever officially released. I know that Neal wasn't in Survivor, of course. But the people who posted the Neal Schon recordings did an awesome job, and the website does have a few Survivor listings as well in other threads.

https://www.exmusikpress.de/t149f9-NEAL ... jekte.html
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Slander » Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:09 am

So I just listened to Survivor Live at Wheeling in 82 on YouTube. Damn Dave has never sounded better. Best version of Tiger ever with Dave and Frankie's guitar work at the end! Thank you. Thank you. Thank You.

Are there any live concerts with Dave on the Caught In The Game tour? I would love to hear some of those gems live. Was the plug pulled before they could promote that record? I've seen CITG and Jackie Don't Go on Solid Gold, but nothing live.

One final note on Live At Wheeling. How good was American Heartbeat live! It could have been a patriot anthem during the '80s for the band. It was a Top 20 hit! God forbid we should be play a fan favorite, but NO over the years, we had to endure 10-minute guitar solos during TYOAS instead of American Heartbeat. Wasted opportunity, but then again that is the story of Survivor.
"But it ain't about how hard you hit... it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward." Rocky Balboa
Slander
Stereo LP

Postby Mikele » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:16 pm

Slander wrote:So I just listened to Survivor Live at Wheeling in 82 on YouTube. Damn Dave has never sounded better. Best version of Tiger ever with Dave and Frankie's guitar work at the end! Thank you. Thank you. Thank You.

Are there any live concerts with Dave on the Caught In The Game tour? I would love to hear some of those gems live. Was the plug pulled before they could promote that record? I've seen CITG and Jackie Don't Go on Solid Gold, but nothing live.

One final note on Live At Wheeling. How good was American Heartbeat live! It could have been a patriot anthem during the '80s for the band. It was a Top 20 hit! God forbid we should be play a fan favorite, but NO over the years, we had to endure 10-minute guitar solos during TYOAS instead of American Heartbeat. Wasted opportunity, but then again that is the story of Survivor.

Dave was top form I agree, really. Amazing singer. But then again, he still had it in the 90's when he was pulling those Jimi songs live and in the demos FMS.
American Heartbeat, I agree with this. Was a partial hit and live was well received so it should've been played consistently. I always thought that once JJ was in the band, there was this not-so-silent attemp to erode the past and the association with Bickler. Peterik was never really kind and honest about Dave in his book

I'm back re-reading Peterik book to find some notes on CITG tour dates if any. Meanwhile I found out he's referencing 3 other songs that were demoed for Premonition album, not present in the demo recently released
Mikele
45 RPM

Postby Slander » Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:09 am

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I think American Heartbeat, while a little repetitive, is a great Survivor song and anthem! Anyway, I'd love to read Jim's book. What is it called?
Slander
Stereo LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:36 am

Slander wrote:I'd love to read Jim's book. What is it called?

Jim Peterik: Through The Eye Of The Tiger.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:46 am

Mikele wrote:I always thought that once JJ was in the band, there was this not-so-silent attemp to erode the past and the association with Bickler. Peterik was never really kind and honest about Dave in his book

Journey have definitely done that with Steve Augeri. It seems like that they would prefer that everyone think that Arnel Pineda is the only singer that Journey have had since Steve Perry left the band.

I too would have liked to have seen Peterik say better things about Bickler in his book. I really wish that Peterik would have worked more with Bickler in recent years than he has. They could have done an album with a lineup of Bickler, Peterik, Droubay and when he was still alive, Stephan Ellis. Or even if he wasn't gonna bother with Droubay and Ellis, at least do a Bickler/Peterik album.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Slander » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:30 am

No offense to Arnel, but Arrival is some of the best stuff Journey has ever put out. Not sure why they would want to put that behind them. Also saw Journey at Red Rocks with Augeri on lead. Out of body experience!

As a far as Peterik. My guess is Jim and Frankie were close. Survivor was theirs. My guess, Dave wasn't allowed to get close. Best heard on the mic, not in the office. Know what I mean? Dave kind of reminds me of Randy Mesiner of the Eagles. Amazing talent, and kind sould. Way too kind and decent for the music biz. Dave deserved better!
Slander
Stereo LP

Postby Mikele » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:52 am

Could be Slander..however JP has no kind words for any member, only for Jimi.
In the book Jim makes it very clear that he was the odd one in the band: not invited to parties, not partaking in drugs, not friend with anybody.
He held grudges from the start because he wanted to sing and play guitar, while the guys embraced Frankie's vision of the band (thanx god). Also, a focal point of disagreement was his involvement with 38 Special: Frankie was against and Jim could never understand why.
Well, Jim, let me tell you this: writing hits songs with other bands it's not the best way to bond with the other members of your band. I think he should have at least discuss it with them
Mikele
45 RPM

Postby Mikele » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:08 pm

Journey/Survivor wrote:I too would have liked to have seen Peterik say better things about Bickler in his book. I really wish that Peterik would have worked more with Bickler in recent years than he has. They could have done an album with a lineup of Bickler, Peterik, Droubay and when he was still alive, Stephan Ellis. Or even if he wasn't gonna bother with Droubay and Ellis, at least do a Bickler/Peterik album.

Would have loved it. And there are some videos around of the duo playing some live stuff, and sounds incredible.

BTW, in the book there's no mention of dates in 1983. Jim writes that when album was done no tour happened, that-s all.
Mikele
45 RPM

Postby Journey/Survivor » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:29 am

Mikele wrote:
Journey/Survivor wrote:I too would have liked to have seen Peterik say better things about Bickler in his book. I really wish that Peterik would have worked more with Bickler in recent years than he has. They could have done an album with a lineup of Bickler, Peterik, Droubay and when he was still alive, Stephan Ellis. Or even if he wasn't gonna bother with Droubay and Ellis, at least do a Bickler/Peterik album.

Would have loved it. And there are some videos around of the duo playing some live stuff, and sounds incredible.

BTW, in the book there's no mention of dates in 1983. Jim writes that when album was done no tour happened, that-s all.

Does anyone know if the band did any shows for a THTS tour? Or did they break up almost as soon as they finished the THTS album?
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Mikele » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:36 pm

In a new excellent post by the YT user, the japan 85 rough mix, but also in some of the previous ones, there are hints in the description that makes one wonder this guy has a very "internal" connection with the band...
Don't know if he holds the rights to this stuff, cos in this case he might even be Jim
Mikele
45 RPM

Next

Return to Survivor / Jim Peterik / Toby Hitchcock / Pride Of Lions / Marc Scherer / Sir Jimi (RIP)