The Lost Tapes YouTube, It Was Fun While It Lasted

RIP Frankie's Playtoy

Moderator: Andrew

The Lost Tapes YouTube, It Was Fun While It Lasted

Postby Slander » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:41 am

Happy New Year everyone,

Went the the Lost Tapes sight to see if there were anymore Survivor hidden gems, and poof they are all gone, got this This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Frankie Sullivan.

No one has ever made it harder to be a fan of a group. It was so much fun rediscovering the group after a few years away.
"But it ain't about how hard you hit... it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward." Rocky Balboa
Slander
Stereo LP

Re: The Lost Tapes YouTube, It Was Fun While It Lasted

Postby Journey/Survivor » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:05 pm

Slander wrote:Happy New Year everyone,

Went the the Lost Tapes sight to see if there were anymore Survivor hidden gems, and poof they are all gone, got this This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Frankie Sullivan.

No one has ever made it harder to be a fan of a group. It was so much fun rediscovering the group after a few years away.

I knew that was going to happen.

I think that most of what we were hearing were NOT official demos. Sullivan owns those demos and could do the right thing and release the official demos so the fans can hear them. Even if he charged a small amount for them. But he won't do that, he's too lazy among other things to do that. Even though he asked fans many years ago how we'd like them released, like on CDs or downloads?

I'm extremely grateful to who ever released those Lost Tapes recordings. It was the most excited I've been about Survivor in years.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby def » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:02 pm

Good ole FS should keep on fishing, walking his dog, brabbling strange wisdoms, collecting guitars and cars and boring his fans to death with posting about all this all the time. There does not seem to be any creativity left except for some pyjama blues jingleings in the mornings.

There are people, who consider themselves as artists, because they have the inner urge to stay creative, to keep on writing and recording music as their way to express themselves and let their music reach an audience. He is none of that. Considering his age his catalogue is small: that at most mediocre Mariah stuff, eight albums with Survivor and some production with McAuley and Eddie Money. That’s all and he didn‘t do the Survivor albums all by himself. They were successful, because there were two gifted singers and of course Jim Peterik. Without them he seems to be asked to much of to write first class music.

Over here in Germany there are just a few people and fans left, who know Survivor. Of course many people know EOTT, but the first thing they connect with the song is Rocky and not Survivor or Frank Sullivan. Pride of Lions is probably better known to AOR fans nowadays than Survivor ever has. There a just a few die hard fans left, who know that Survivor were much more than EOTT und BH. So, from that perspective it may not make any sense to him, to release the demos. There is no market for them. He should keep his demos and put them where the sun does not shine. I do not care anymore and prefer to look forward to Bickler’s next solo release. I really enjoy the first one. There are strong songs on the record (Sky Is Falling, Time, Magic).
def
Ol' 78

Postby Mikele » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:46 pm

That's such a shame... I too knew it would happen, and I've enjoyed while it lasted.
One of the last video published was a demo from Hughie Tomasson/Outlaws band. The guy mentioned that he worked with him in the past. So, was Jimbo itself the guy behind The lost Tapes? The best thing that happened to us fans, you are right Journey/Survivor
Mikele
45 RPM

Postby Slander » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:17 am

You are so right, J/S this was the most fun we've had as Survivor fans in a long long time. I want to thank Jim Peterik if he was indeed the person who leaked these amazing recordings. It was like discovering the greatness of the band all over again. BTW, how good was the Bickler concert in Germany. Damn, that voice has never sounded better.

Imagine having such a loyal fan base, and taking it for granted? I will never understand that. I wouldn't drive 5 minutes to the local park for a free concert to see them now. It's THE SINGER, not the song. Long live the memories we have with Dave and Jimi.
"But it ain't about how hard you hit... it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward." Rocky Balboa
Slander
Stereo LP

Postby Andrew » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:04 pm

There is more unreleased material...all studio album off-cuts etc...

I'd jump on doing a box set for them in a heartbeat, except you know that Frankie just isn't interested/doesn't care.
Andrew
Administrator

Postby Slander » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:05 am

Andrew wrote:There is more unreleased material...all studio album off-cuts etc...

I'd jump on doing a box set for them in a heartbeat, except you know that Frankie just isn't interested/doesn't care.

Thanks Andrew for weighing in here. I appreciate the work you do, although I haven't told you that recently. Can you imagine how excited the fan base would be if any of this amazing work was released? I can't recall a fan base so loyal and yet so neglected and taken for granted.
Slander
Stereo LP

Postby Richard Epps » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:17 pm

I am not convinced it was Jim behind it,but it is all a crying shame the whole thing.The band is no more I am afarid :(

Andrew,are you going to do a review for Tigress?,I know it isn't everyone's cup of tea.
Richard Epps
Ol' 78

Postby Andrew » Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:02 pm

Slander wrote:
Andrew wrote:There is more unreleased material...all studio album off-cuts etc...

Thanks Andrew for weighing in here. I appreciate the work you do, although I haven't told you that recently. Can you imagine how excited the fan base would be if any of this amazing work was released? I can't recall a fan base so loyal and yet so neglected and taken for granted.

There could be deluxe reissues or a box set of at least 4CDs of unreleased material - add in demos and it would double in size. I've tried contacting Frankie as have others I know that have communicated with him. Absolute zero response.
Andrew
Administrator

Postby Andrew » Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:02 pm

Richard Epps wrote:I am not convinced it was Jim behind it,but it is all a crying shame the whole thing.The band is no more I am afarid :(

Andrew,are you going to do a review for Tigress?,I know it isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Jim's weakest album perhaps ever I'm afraid to say. Review coming.
Andrew
Administrator

Postby Journey/Survivor » Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:40 pm

I especially loved the unreleased songs that we were hearing from Too Hot To Sleep, but it was great getting to hear all of the Lost Tapes.

The THTS unreleased songs should have made it on to some Survivor album, either on THTS or been used on the Ultimate Survivor CD as bonus tracks.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Mikele » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:02 pm

We loyal fans have been deprived for so many years of new/unreleased stuff or whatever from the band, that I can recall being really emotional sometimes when playing those YT posts and feeling like in a dream :)
Jim and Dave together should be next dream come true
Mikele
45 RPM

Postby FalconONE » Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:00 am

While it was fun we finally found the holy grail of the live performance of Survivor (Wheeling, WV 1982-11-22) and some demos from WSC & THTS, we're still looking for these demos that we are dreamin' bout for years!!

- The Premonition Demos (CRC 80's
- Eye Of The Tiger Demos (Including a clean version of the Rocky III movie's version (Demo) Of EOTT)
- Vital Signs Demos

& some of these known demos
- Velocitized (1992 Version With J. Jamison) "Jim Peterik; "Through The Eye Of The Tiger" Biography"
- Empires (Survivor's Version With J. Jamison) "Jim Peterik; "Through The Eye Of The Tiger" Biography"
- Hearts Of Stone (1978-79 Demo With D. Bickler) "Jim Peterik; "Through The Eye Of The Tiger" Biography"
- Credits Roll (1978-79 Demo With D. Bickler) "Jim Peterik; "Through The Eye Of The Tiger" Biography"
- Kid Dynamite (1978-79 Demo With D. Bickler) "Jim Peterik; "Through The Eye Of The Tiger" Biography"
- The Fighter (? Demo With D. Bickler) "Jim Peterik; "Through The Eye Of The Tiger" Biography"
- It's Criminal (1984 Vital Signs Demo With J. Jamison) "Interview; https://www.angelfire.com/az2/strutter8 ... ERVIEW.htm"

- Prisoners Of Gravity (1992 Demo With J. Jamison)
- Rocket Science (1994 Demo With D. Bickler)
- Sweet Candy (? Demo With D. Bickler) "Through The Eye Of The Tiger" Biography"
- Talk To Me " (? Demo With J. Jamison) Through The Eye Of The Tiger" Biography"
- That's Why I Sing (Ecstasy of love) (? Demo With J. Jamison)"From Liner Notes of Crossroads Moment"
- We Wish (Demo 1996-1997 With D. Bickler)
- When The Phone Don't Ring (It's Me) - (? Demo With J. Jamison)
FalconONE
Ol' 78

Postby Journey/Survivor » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:18 pm

Mikele wrote:We loyal fans have been deprived for so many years of new/unreleased stuff or whatever from the band, that I can recall being really emotional sometimes when playing those YT posts and feeling like in a dream :)

I think that possibly the most excited that I've ever been for a new album to be released was when Survivor were about to release their THTS album? Journey's Trial By Fire is also up there, as well as Survivor's Reach. But I think I have to give it to THTS?

When I was listening to those unreleased songs from the THTS album it was taking me back to that feeling of excitement that I had back in 1988 when THTS was released. I was 16 years old then. I will very soon be turning 50 years old. I miss those days, and the unreleased songs were helping me relive those days!
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:21 pm

In addition to all of the awesome Survivor songs that we would all love to still hear that have never been officially released, I also really wish that a lot of Jimi Jamison's unreleased songs would be made available!
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:24 pm

Mikele wrote:We loyal fans have been deprived for so many years of new/unreleased stuff or whatever from the band, that I can recall being really emotional sometimes when playing those YT posts and feeling like in a dream :)

I too would love for Peterik and Bickler to do a new album together!!! If Droubay was involved on the project, all the better!
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Mikele » Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:50 pm

FalconONE wrote:While it was fun we finally found the holy grail of the live performance of Survivor (Wheeling, WV 1982-11-22) and some demos from WSC & THTS, we're still looking for these demos that we are dreamin' bout for years!!

- The Premonition Demos (CRC 80's
- Eye Of The Tiger Demos (Including a clean version of the Rocky III movie's version (Demo) Of EOTT)
- Vital Signs Demos

At least we got Premonition never released songs "Live with me tonight" and "Lorelei", I was first-timer with those
Mikele
45 RPM

Postby Slander » Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:21 am

And who knew Bickler played Saxaphone? Love it! By the way how good is Missing Persons? One of my favorite Survivor tracks ever. We need to get Bickler, Peterik, and Droubay together. Just one more time. And for old time sake, I'd love to read one of those long winded Sullivan waxing poetic about positive vibes.
Slander
Stereo LP

Postby Mikele » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:29 am

Slander wrote:And who knew Bickler played Saxaphone? Love it! By the way how good is Missing Persons? One of my favorite Survivor tracks ever. We need to get Bickler, Peterik, and Droubay together. Just one more time. And for old time sake, I'd love to read one of those long winded Sullivan waxing poetic about positive vibes.

Yeah Missing Persons is a killer killer tune...
I agree, would love to see one last, loyal, hard-rocking version of the band before it's really over for obvious reasons.
Mikele
45 RPM

Postby Slander » Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:09 am

I agree, would love to see one last, loyal, hard-rocking version of the band before it's really over for obvious reasons.

Is there any bad blood between Peterik Bickler and Droubay. You would think they would make an attempt to do it just one more time. I know Jim and Dave are doing their own thing and may just want to turn the page. Still it would be awesome to see one last time.
Slander
Stereo LP

Postby Andrew » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:23 am

Proof that we will never get anything cool from Frankie.

I emailed Frankie about an unreleased tune written by him and JP and sung by Cathy Richardson. I wanted to use on the new MRCD compilation as a cool unreleased song for fans. Everyone was on board (JP and Cathy), but rather than reply to my email, Frankie had his lawyer contact me and deny the request.

How hard would it be to simply email me and say no thanks?
Andrew
Administrator

Postby Mikele » Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:49 pm

Andrew wrote:Proof that we will never get anything cool from Frankie.

I emailed Frankie about an unreleased tune written by him and JP and sung by Cathy Richardson. I wanted to use on the new MRCD compilation as a cool unreleased song for fans. Everyone was on board (JP and Cathy), but rather than reply to my email, Frankie had his lawyer contact me and deny the request.

How hard would it be to simply email me and say no thanks?

That sucks
Mikele
45 RPM

Postby FalconONE » Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:12 am

Hi Andrew, what was song title of this unreleased gem?
Thank you!
FalconONE
Ol' 78

Postby Andrew » Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:30 am

Love's The Last To Know
Andrew
Administrator

Postby Mikele » Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:12 am

Andrew, I believe you have an idea of whos the man behind the best thing ever in Survivor-land in last 15 years
Mikele
45 RPM

Postby Andrew » Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:33 pm

Mikele wrote:Andrew, I believe you have an idea of whos the man behind the best thing ever in Survivor-land in last 15 years

Nothing for certain.
Andrew
Administrator

Postby Journey/Survivor » Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:24 pm

I would think that Peterik probably wrote the bigger majority of that song "Love's The Last To Know" with Sullivan being a minority writer of the song?

If that's the case I would think that Peterik would have the rite to authorize the release of the song?

Andrew, do you know if that song was written during the Bickler years of the band, or the Jamison years?
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Andrew » Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:05 pm

Journey/Survivor wrote:I would think that Peterik probably wrote the bigger majority of that song "Love's The Last To Know" with Sullivan being a minority writer of the song?

If that's the case I would think that Peterik would have the rite to authorize the release of the song?

Andrew, do you know if that song was written during the Bickler years of the band, or the Jamison years?

Sounds early 90s to me - much more recent. And JP and Cathy were fine...but as I said, Frankie's lawyer wasn't. Even for this special occasion.
Andrew
Administrator

Postby Journey/Survivor » Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:06 pm

Andrew wrote:
Journey/Survivor wrote:I would think that Peterik probably wrote the bigger majority of that song "Love's The Last To Know" with Sullivan being a minority writer of the song?

Sounds early 90s to me - much more recent. And JP and Cathy were fine...but as I said, Frankie's lawyer wasn't. Even for this special occasion.

Thanks for the reply!

I just meant that I would think that potentially Peterik would have the authority to release the song whether Sullivan liked it or not? But maybe Sullivan is considered the controlling owner of the song now since it was written to be a Survivor song?
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Andrew » Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:18 pm

You can't publish anything without the ok of both writers, no matter who controls the master.
Andrew
Administrator

Next

Return to Survivor / Jim Peterik / Toby Hitchcock / Pride Of Lions / Marc Scherer / Sir Jimi (RIP)