OT: Restaurant Refuses to serve OJ Simpson

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

OT: Restaurant Refuses to serve OJ Simpson

Postby T-Bone » Thu May 10, 2007 10:08 am

And then some shitwad decides that this is somehow related to race? Where in the article with the owner of the restaurant did he EVER say anything about race? It couldn't POSSIBLY be about what happened to his ex wife and Goldman now could it?!?!?.... NAH.... Play the race card.....

For some odd reason, I can already picture Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson on the Jesse Express Leer Jet on their way to Kentucky.....

Restaurant owner says O.J. Simpson just not welcome

(LOUISVILLE) -- Louisville rolled out the red carpet for a lot of celebrities in town during Derby week, but O.J. Simpson wasn't welcome at one restaurant, and the eatery's refusal to serve the man who was acquitted of killing his former wife and here companion is causing some controversy. WAVE 3's Scott Harvey has the details.

The general manager for Jeff Ruby's Steakhouse in Louisville, says that Simpson showed up at around 10 p.m. Derby eve, after the Kentucky Oaks. He says Simpson didn't have a reservation but demanded to be seated.

The owner, Jeff Ruby, said he then approached Simpson at his table, "the same table that Nick Lachey had just sat at, and had just left. And I walked over to him, and I sat at the table, and I guess he was waiting for the rest of his party. There might have been one other person.

And I said: 'I'm not serving you. He looked at me ... dumbfounded and I repeated. I said: 'I'm not serving you.'"

Ruby says at that point Simpson got up from his seat and began to leave peacefully, although his girlfriend did protest. Ruby later told us he asked Simpson to leave out of respect for the families of Nicole Brown and Ron Goldman.

"I feel bad for the Goldman family and the Brown family," Ruby said. "He ruined their lives. I may have ruined his Derby, but that doesn't bother me. I'm OK with that."

But it's not OK with the Rev. Louis Coleman with Louisville's Justice Resource Center. He says Ruby's refusal to serve Simpson violates the Public Accommodation Law. Coleman has sent a letter to the Louisville Human Relations Commission alleging racial discrimination, and asking the commission file an official complaint against the restaurant.

"We just feel that actions should be taken against this owner, so that this cannot be done to any other human being," Coleman said. He and several other people picketed the restaurant on Wednesday.

It is against the law to refuse to serve a customer based on race, but Emily Riggshartlage, an attorney with the Kentucky Commission on Human Rights says there are situations when a business owner can legally decline to serve someone.

"A business owner can refuse service if it's based on a personal reason," Riggshartlage said, "as long as the refusal of service is not based on race, color, national origin, religion or disability."

The commission will look at the letter and then decide if a complaint will be filed. If a complaint is filed, an investigation will follow.

"Upon investigation, there would have to be some evidence that the ill treatment was based on discrimination," Riggshartlage said.

Simpson was welcomed at another restaurant, Basa Modern Vietnamese Cuisine, on Thursday. The co-owner, Steven Ton, said he tries to treat everyone equally. "I try to treat everyone like family when they are here. I treated him just like I did everyone else."

Ton also said none of the other customers complained about Simpson's presence.

Simpson, a Heisman Trophy winner, has starred in several movies and has been inducted into the NFL Hall of Fame. He was found not guilty of killing his wife and Goldman in 1995, but was later found liable in a civil trial and ordered to pay millions to the families of Brown and Goldman.

He made headlines recently when he reportedly accepted money from to write a book called "If I Did It" -- a hypothetical account of how he would have committed the murders. The book and a television interview were later canceled after public outcry
We, The Inept, Lead by the Incompetent, have been doing so much, with so little, for so long... We can practically do anything, with absolutely nothing.
T-Bone
Backup Admin

Re: OT: Restaurant Refuses to serve OJ Simpson

Postby bluejeangirl76 » Thu May 10, 2007 11:03 am

T-Bone wrote:
For some odd reason, I can already picture Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson on the Jesse Express Leer Jet on their way to Kentucky.....

Gee, why would you EVER think THAT would happen. :roll:
No doubt the picketing of the restaurant is already scheduled and old Jesse already has his speech written.

That took guts what that restauant owner did. I wouldn't have wanted OJ eating in my restaurant either.
I admit harboring strong prejudices again murderers.
bluejeangirl76
MP3

Postby Ms_M » Thu May 10, 2007 11:49 am

bluejeangirl76 wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

No doubt the picketing of the restaurant is already scheduled and old Jesse already has his speech written.

That took guts what that restauant owner did. I wouldn't have wanted OJ eating in my restaurant either.
I admit harboring strong prejudices again murderers.

That's my prejudice, too. Murderers, child molesters, rapists..... I think it's great someone, besides the Browns and the Goldmans, are saying - HEY! We don't have to put up with him being out in public and still somewhat enjoying life. I'm sure his life is not what it could've been, but it's not what it SHOULD be either.
Ms_M
Stereo LP

Postby Carlitto H@kk » Thu May 10, 2007 11:54 am

bluejeangirl76 wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

Oh yea, them 2 fuckheads will be there...
Unless they've finally realized that OJ is a bigger
Albitros than even those 2 could bear anymore :lol: :lol: :lol:
Welcome to Terminus... You hungry?
Carlitto H@kk
Stereo LP

Postby Perry86fan » Thu May 10, 2007 12:16 pm

I am glad he sent him packing what a ass he is.He can still do whatever he wants would Nicole & Ron can never do that again. It just makes me sick.But you know one fine day he will get his.
Perry86fan
8 Track

Postby Crazie Scarab » Thu May 10, 2007 12:52 pm

I just wish everyone would quit distracting OJ while he's out there looking for the real killer.
Brian
Crazie Scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby 7 Wishes » Thu May 10, 2007 1:01 pm

Well, he's searched every golf course in North America and he hasn't found him yet, so restaurants is the logical next step in the process.
7 Wishes
Stereo LP

Postby Crazie Scarab » Thu May 10, 2007 1:08 pm

7 Wishes wrote:Well, he's searched every golf course in North America and he hasn't found him yet, so restaurants is the logical next step in the process.

Yep. I agree! Restaurants are a good place to go look after all the golf courses. Obviously, he came up empty out on the greens..
Brian
Crazie Scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Shadowsong » Thu May 10, 2007 2:05 pm

I thhink he should serve OJ.
Flame broiled & well done!

:lol:
Shadowsong
Cassette Tape

Postby Moon Beam » Thu May 10, 2007 2:22 pm

Shadowsong wrote:I thhink he should serve OJ.
Flame broiled & well done!

:lol:

I'd roast a marshmellow over that flame for surely shadow! :lol:
http://moonbeamsmindgrounds.blogspot.com/
Good, Bad Or Ugly, Live It, Love It Or Leave It.
Moon Beam
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Shadowsong » Thu May 10, 2007 2:27 pm

8)
Shadowsong
Cassette Tape

Postby Perry86fan » Thu May 10, 2007 9:53 pm

7 Wishes wrote:Well, he's searched every golf course in North America and he hasn't found him yet, so restaurants is the logical next step in the process.

Yeah and the golf courses in N.W.Fl gte your ass out of here we don't want you here.
Perry86fan
8 Track

Postby Liquid_Drummer » Thu May 10, 2007 11:42 pm

I happen to live in Lousivlle and they are making such a big deal out of this. Why does anyone give a shit about this type of stuff. It should not be news !
Liquid_Drummer
Cassette Tape

Postby strangegrey » Thu May 10, 2007 11:50 pm

What do you expect....whitey denies blackie....OUTRAGE!!!!

It's not hard-working-tax-payer denies murderous-tax-cheater...
strangegrey
Stereo LP

Postby T-Bone » Fri May 11, 2007 12:03 am

Either way, this restaurant owner got a huge applause when OJ left, and all this coverage is going to do wonders for his business. Good for him :twisted:
We, The Inept, Lead by the Incompetent, have been doing so much, with so little, for so long... We can practically do anything, with absolutely nothing.
T-Bone
Backup Admin

Postby jrnychick » Fri May 11, 2007 2:25 am

What time does Jesse's flight leave? I'm sure he'll find a way to bring this to the national spotlight.
jrnychick
8 Track

Postby T-Bone » Fri May 11, 2007 2:35 am

jrnychick wrote:What time does Jesse's flight leave? I'm sure he'll find a way to bring this to the national spotlight.

Maybe they'll drop him off somewhere over Kentucky and forget to pack his chute....
T-Bone
Backup Admin

Postby squirt1 » Fri May 11, 2007 2:52 am

Jeff Ruby was interviewed on TV yesterday. The Sharptons & Jackson types will not be able to inject race in this. The next party of 30 to take the table was Michael Jordan. Jeff has 4-5 top restaurants which he started over the last 30 yrs here in Cincinnati. He will not need the extra business. You can hardly get into his restaurants now. All the Bengals go to the Precinct. I don't know if Chris Collingsworth and Johnny Bench are still partners or not.
squirt1
Cassette Tape

Postby Blondie » Fri May 11, 2007 5:23 am

The Public Accommodation Law my ass. Whatever happened to restaurants reserving the right to refuse service to anyone...
"I still cling to hope, and I believe in love and that's faith enough for me"-RUSH

"Life's too short to be a dumbass" - Me

www.myspace.com/blondiesc
Blondie
8 Track

Postby Liam » Fri May 11, 2007 5:27 am

Blondie wrote:The Public Accommodation Law my ass. Whatever happened to restaurants reserving the right to refuse service to anyone...

I've been accused of being racist 'cause I cut a black guy off. He was an asshole and hammered...had NOTHING to do with the color of his skin. Fuckin' people ALWAYS play the race card. :evil:
Liam

"It ain't how hard you can hit. It's how hard you can get it, and keep goin'." - Rocky
Liam
MP3

Postby whocares » Fri May 11, 2007 7:13 am

I loved this. I saw the interview with the guy last night where he stated his reasons. It's HIS business, he HAS the right to refuse service. After they said that MJ and his "party" had been seated in OJ's place, then followed it up with OJ's lawyers saying "He hasn't heard the last from us..." I about shit. THIS IS NOT ABOUT RACE!!! it's about personal morals. More people should have them.
Without ego, we have no pride in what we are saying.
whocares
Stereo LP

Postby chf34jmac » Fri May 11, 2007 8:42 am

I think all of us MR users that think this guy did the right thing should put together a collection and buy him a plaque.
chf34jmac
Cassette Tape

Postby whocares » Fri May 11, 2007 9:01 am

hell no! I mean I like what he did, but he doesn't need plaque, I'm sure with his various business ventures, he's got a great dentist! :wink:

That said, he stated that he'd recieve hundreds of email by the next morning, commending him for what he'd done. that's enough, I think.
Without ego, we have no pride in what we are saying.
whocares
Stereo LP

Postby chf34jmac » Fri May 11, 2007 10:23 pm

If I remember correctly, being the owner gives you the right to refuse service to anyone, anytime and for any reason except race. His religious convictions allowed him to refuse service to a double murderer. I again applaud this guy.
chf34jmac
Cassette Tape

Postby KCfla » Fri May 11, 2007 11:16 pm

chf34jmac wrote:If I remember correctly, being the owner gives you the right to refuse service to anyone, anytime and for any reason except race. His religious convictions allowed him to refuse service to a double murderer. I again applaud this guy.

Having worked in the business for a while, ( at least in FL.) it is the rights of any owner of an establishment ( especially one that serves alcohol!) to refuse service for any reason ( except discrimination- sexual,race,etc.) You can refuse service because of how a person's dressed, how they act, etc.

Obviously, OJ can be refused anywhere he goes, 'cause IMHO- he should be behind bars!
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body,but rather to skid in sideways,wine and chocolate in hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "what a ride!"
KCfla
45 RPM

Finally........

Postby epresley » Fri May 11, 2007 11:31 pm

Finally a forum that has articulate, educated members with opinions that I share!!!! How refreshing for a change!
epresley
Cassette Tape

Re: Finally........

Postby Blueskies » Fri May 11, 2007 11:34 pm

epresley wrote:Finally a forum that has articulate, educated members with opinions that I share!!!! How refreshing for a change!
:shock: You ARE new, aren't you! :lol:
Blueskies
Digital Audio Tape

Finally!

Postby epresley » Sat May 12, 2007 4:34 am

hahahahaha :lol:
epresley
Cassette Tape

Re: Finally!

Postby larryfromnextdoor » Sat May 12, 2007 4:37 am

epresley wrote:hahahahaha :lol:

listened to the 11th hour the other day !! 17 years old now.. :shock: fun stuff