Journey, Styx, and Kansas tour

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Journey, Styx, and Kansas tour

Postby chowhall » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:10 am

Excerpt from interview with Kansas guitarist Rich Williams:

Matt: Do you ever miss life on the road like that? Driving around in close quarters with the rest of the band, overnight trips to the next gig, that sort of thing?

Rich: Not really no. Laughs. We just did a tour like that in Germany a few weeks ago, where we were on a bus for two weeks. We’ll also be doing a tour later this year with Journey and Styx for four weeks, so that’ll be a bus tour. It’s not how we’ve done most of our touring over the last fifteen years or so, but when the opportunity came up to go on the road with those two great bands we figured it was worth it.

http://modernguitarist.guitarinternatio ... 02/kansas/
Chow
chowhall
8 Track

Postby Everett » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:26 am

I wonder what type of tune neal schon & tommy could come up with?
All in a day's work
Everett
Compact Disc

Postby tommyluvr2 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:38 am

Not a pairing I'm really excited about, if they're in my back yard, I would go, otherwise this one is a pass for me.

Denise
tommyluvr2
Ol' 78

Postby LordofDaRing » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:35 am

I saw a Youtube this morning of Kansas around 2002 singing a live version of Play the Game tonight. I know they have changed vocalists a few times, but this version really did not sound that good. I saw them a few years ago, and they lumped that song into a medley which really sucked.
LordofDaRing
8 Track

Postby weatherman90 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:55 am

All I can say is that if I don't get to see Styx in 2010, I'm going to lose it - total mental breakdown. :lol:
Matt
--------------------------------------
www.melodicrockconcerts.com
weatherman90
Cassette Tape

Postby conversationpc » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:59 am

If true, this is excellent...Kansas is playing better than ever with David Ragsdale in the band on violin and rhythm guitar. Walsh's voice ain't what it used to be but they do a good show...despite what Angiekay says. :lol:
My blog = Dave's Dominion
conversationpc
Super Audio CD

Postby KWH17 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:53 am

weatherman90 wrote:All I can say is that if I don't get to see Styx in 2010, I'm going to lose it - total mental breakdown. :lol:

I've been trying to see them for three years and no dice, so I'm feeling the same way. :lol:

Hopefully this will be it. My friends love Journey, but their casuals, so if I leave out that it's not the same lead singer, they may just go with me to a show [if one comes close enough that is.]
KWH17
Ol' 78

Postby froy » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:10 am

conversationpc wrote:If true, this is excellent...Kansas is playing better than ever with David Ragsdale in the band on violin and rhythm guitar. Walsh's voice ain't what it used to be but they do a good show...despite what Angiekay says. :lol:

I saw Kansas with Ragsdale in 96 with Styx
Not my forst choice Robbie Stienhart much better on vocals.
froy
Compact Disc

Postby cittadeeno23 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:45 am

I saw Kansas open for Styx about 10 times on the RTP tour in 96. They were OK. But I was there to see Styx so I spent most of the time in the beer line!
cittadeeno23
LP

Postby cittadeeno23 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:23 am

How much attention to you think a Styx/Journey show would get if Dennis and Steve Perry were on board? They would have to promote the fact that both guys were back because nobody would believe it otherwise! I remember the radio commercial for the 1996 Styx tour. It started out by saying "Dennis Deyoung and Tommy Shaw back together". I'm pretty sure that helped sell tickets!
cittadeeno23
LP

Postby Higgy » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:53 am

froy wrote:
conversationpc wrote:If true, this is excellent...Kansas is playing better than ever with David Ragsdale in the band on violin and rhythm guitar. Walsh's voice ain't what it used to be but they do a good show...despite what Angiekay says. :lol:

I saw Kansas with Ragsdale in 96 with Styx
Not my forst choice Robbie Stienhart much better on vocals.

I agree about Stienhart, but Freaks Of Nature might be one of my favorite Kansas albums - and Ragsdale kicks ass on that. Robbie Steinhart needs to start working out before he tours again!
Higgy
LP

Postby masque » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:28 am

kansas is awesome live......their musicianship is incredible and as a long time kansas fan they do a fantastic job of spanning their entire catalog when putting together a setlist.

walsh's voice is nearly all the way back.....there a few of the highest notes that he strains to reach but his voice has really recovered in recent years compared to what it was 10 years ago.

billy greer is an excellent singer in his own right and when he sings with walsh it is pure magic.

this triple bill would be awesome....styx and kansas are my two favorite bands and journey isnt too far down the list so i would enjoy it a great deal.
masque
Cassette Tape

Postby KWH17 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:08 am

cittadeeno23 wrote:How much attention to you think a Styx/Journey show would get if Dennis and Steve Perry were on board? They would have to promote the fact that both guys were back because nobody would believe it otherwise! I remember the radio commercial for the 1996 Styx tour. It started out by saying "Dennis Deyoung and Tommy Shaw back together". I'm pretty sure that helped sell tickets!

If Perry and Deyoung came back to do a joint tour with their respective bands, they'd probably sell out some if not all of the bigger venues. Plus, ticket prices would probably be close to as high as U2's

okay, so maybe I'm exaggerating, but it would be a big to-do.
KWH17
Ol' 78

Postby yogi » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:13 am

They should do a solo tour together.

It would be incredible!!!!!
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby cittadeeno23 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:39 am

I'd rather have the Real Styx And Real Journey than a solo tour. But have 2 lead singers EVER been dis-liked so much by their former bands than Perry and Deyoung are by their former bands????? There is virtually no chance at this ever happening. It's too bad because it would be amazing. And now is a good time to do it too. It's been 12 years since Dennis toured with Styx and longer since Perry toured with Journey. Real fans would go Ape Shit!
cittadeeno23
LP

Postby Higgy » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:45 am

KWH17 wrote:
cittadeeno23 wrote:How much attention to you think a Styx/Journey show would get if Dennis and Steve Perry were on board? They would have to promote the fact that both guys were back because nobody would believe it otherwise! I remember the radio commercial for the 1996 Styx tour. It started out by saying "Dennis Deyoung and Tommy Shaw back together". I'm pretty sure that helped sell tickets!

If Perry and Deyoung came back to do a joint tour with their respective bands, they'd probably sell out some if not all of the bigger venues. Plus, ticket prices would probably be close to as high as U2's

Well I paid $45 for floor seats at the U2360 show so it wouldn't be hard to be as high as that.
Higgy
LP

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:29 pm

yogi wrote:They should do a solo tour together.

Was it 2002 or 2003 that it was going to be Steve Perry, Dennis DeYoung & Peter Cetera touring together, I think the tour was going to be called "The Voices of Rock". I can't remember, Bugsy do you remember???
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:30 pm

cittadeeno23 wrote:I'd rather have the Real Styx And Real Journey than a solo tour. But have 2 lead singers EVER been dis-liked so much by their former bands than Perry and Deyoung are by their former bands????? There is virtually no chance at this ever happening. It's too bad because it would be amazing. And now is a good time to do it too. It's been 12 years since Dennis toured with Styx and longer since Perry toured with Journey. Real fans would go Ape Shit!

Yep, "Real Fans" would go Ape Shite and don't forget those "Real Fans" kids too - LOL I know my kids would :)
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby bugsymalone » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:50 am

SuiteMadameBlue wrote:
yogi wrote:They should do a solo tour together.

Was it 2002 or 2003 that it was going to be Steve Perry, Dennis DeYoung & Peter Cetera touring together, I think the tour was going to be called "The Voices of Rock". I can't remember, Bugsy do you remember???

I remember ......vaguely, lol. It would have been so cool had that come to be. At the time, Dennis hadn't really revived his solo career. Steve was the mysterious recluse. And who knows with Peter?

I think they could have sold out venues everywhere, but I am guessing the logistics, not to mention how to present these three guys in a way that was equal, and amenable to all three, was probably too much to overcome.

I think that train has left the station, though, so I don't guess this will ever come to pass. :cry:

Bugsy
Change your hairdo. Change your name.
Congratulations! You're still the same.
bugsymalone
Stereo LP

Postby KWH17 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:53 am

Didn't someone, somewhere [okay, yes, I am aware I am being VERY vague] say that it was inevitable DDY would be back in Styx eventually? I don't think it's an inevitability, but there's the possibility. I know Chuck said he WANTS the group back together, even if for a short while, before one more original member dies [knock on wood]. I think he made some allusion to the Beatles when he said that.
KWH17
Ol' 78

Postby weatherman90 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:18 am

KWH17 wrote:Didn't someone, somewhere [okay, yes, I am aware I am being VERY vague] say that it was inevitable DDY would be back in Styx eventually? I don't think it's an inevitability, but there's the possibility. I know Chuck said he WANTS the group back together, even if for a short while, before one more original member dies [knock on wood]. I think he made some allusion to the Beatles when he said that.

From The Grand Delusion: "I believe, as I did in the early nineties, that a reunion with Dennis and Tommy is inevitable. Just like paying taxes." - Glen Burtink
Matt
--------------------------------------
www.melodicrockconcerts.com
weatherman90
Cassette Tape

Postby RumTumJM » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:42 am

weatherman90 wrote:
KWH17 wrote:Didn't someone, somewhere [okay, yes, I am aware I am being VERY vague] say that it was inevitable DDY would be back in Styx eventually? I don't think it's an inevitability, but there's the possibility. I know Chuck said he WANTS the group back together, even if for a short while, before one more original member dies [knock on wood]. I think he made some allusion to the Beatles when he said that.

From The Grand Delusion: "I believe, as I did in the early nineties, that a reunion with Dennis and Tommy is inevitable. Just like paying taxes." - Glen Burtink

Yes, but isn't the general conclusion that the real friction is between JY & Dennis?
http://twitter.com/RockNationRadio

"Whatever doesn't kill you, makes you...ROCK!"
-Brian May, Queen
RumTumJM
LP

Postby Everett » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:58 am

For a full blown styx reunion to happen jy will have to a: get his act together and go with the flow or b: unfortunatly be replaced. I think the beef between tommy and dennis has been gone for a while now. It's just the anger with dennis jy can't get over with for some reason. Can't be pissed at someone forever look at sammy hagar and eddie van halen.
All in a day's work
Everett
Compact Disc

Postby KWH17 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:48 pm

I know Tommy probably wouldn't mind DDY being back, but I think a member here said once that Tommy is leader in name only, and that JY pulls the right strings to keep Tommy in his influence. Okay, that does sound a little paranoid, but it is common knowledge that JY is very intelligent. And if his anger issues are as bad as comes across in his interviews, then I would not put it past him to put that intelligence to good use, and keep Tommy from even thinking about letting DDY back in. Who knows, maybe Tommy has thought about it, told JY, and then JY started a rant that begins with, "But remember....."

@Nightbull;

-JY's animosity probably started very mild at first, starting with Equinox when the two of them basically switched roles in the bands makeup. As DDY continued to churn out more hits, and then feel entitled to have things go his way, that animosity only festered. During the Wooden Nickel years, as I said in another thread, he and the record company were expecting him to be how they reached super stardom. [Theory of course, but I think it has good standing].

As for DDY to come back; Tommy would have to firmly decide, despite JY's protests, to take DDY back. Then lay it straight to JY that if they had to drag him kicking and screaming into a reunion, they'd drop him. And JY would probably decide that a solid career working with a guy he doesn't like is better than no career at all. Or he wouldn't and just leave. I like JY, but he can be a real pain sometimes.
KWH17
Ol' 78

Postby StyxCollector » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:20 pm

KWH17 wrote:And JY would probably decide that a solid career working with a guy he doesn't like is better than no career at all. Or he wouldn't and just leave.

YOu basically just described what was probably 1991, 1996, and 1997 :)
StyxCollector
Cassette Tape

Postby Grotelul » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:51 pm

KWH17 wrote:

Sell out the bigger venues? Are you kidding? Steve Perry's voice is shot and why would any more people pay to see DDY than they do now?
Grotelul
LP

Postby kansas666 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:37 am

Grotelul wrote:
KWH17 wrote:

Sell out the bigger venues? Are you kidding? Steve Perry's voice is shot and why would any more people pay to see DDY than they do now?

There's probably not a room big enough to contain those 3 egos. It's too bad the ticket sales wouldn't materalize.
Dave
kansas666
8 Track

Postby Everett » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:59 am

Didn't dennis tour with lou graham (spelling) a while back? If that worked i'm sure a tour with perry could work.
All in a day's work
Everett
Compact Disc

Postby fightingilliniJRNY » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:18 am

Thenightbull wrote:Didn't dennis tour with lou graham (spelling) a while back? If that worked i'm sure a tour with perry could work.

Are you talking about a Dennis DeYoung/Steve Perry tour, or a Journey with Steve Perry/Styx with Dennis DeYoung tour. While neither would ever, ever happen, the DeYoung/Perry tour has the better chance. It could be named the "Don't Play Well With Others Tour." :roll:
fightingilliniJRNY
Cassette Tape

Postby Everett » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:49 am

fightingilliniJRNY wrote:
Thenightbull wrote:Didn't dennis tour with lou graham (spelling) a while back? If that worked i'm sure a tour with perry could work.

Are you talking about a Dennis DeYoung/Steve Perry tour, or a Journey with Steve Perry/Styx with Dennis DeYoung tour. While neither would ever, ever happen, the DeYoung/Perry tour has the better chance. It could be named the "Don't Play Well With Others Tour." :roll:

I was talking about a dennis& perry tour by themselves. But i wouldin't mind a dennis and a journey with perry tour either. That would probably be the only way I would ever see journey.
All in a day's work
Everett
Compact Disc

Next

Return to Styx