Journey, Foreigner, & Styx - The Grand Karaoke Tour 2011

General Intelligent Discussion & One Thread About That Buttknuckle

Moderator: Andrew

How do they determine which band gets to headline the tour?

By the band's popularity when their lead singer was onboard.
55%
By how well the new lead singer can impersonate the old singer.
45%

Total votes : 20

Journey, Foreigner, & Styx - The Grand Karaoke Tour 2011

Postby Voyager » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:37 am

None of these bands have their original lead vocalists that made them famous. Yet, they keep on touring as if they did.

I think Styx should be headlining the tour since they actually have Tommy Shaw and James Young in the band, who sang lead vocals on some of their songs.

How do they determine who headlines the tour, when none of the bands have their original lead singer? Is it based on their popularity from back when they had their original lead singer, or on how well their new lead singer can sing karaoke today?

:?:
Voyager
Compact Disc

Postby conversationpc » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:44 am

Journey headlines...They're the most popular right now. After that, it's a crapshoot...I'd say Styx opens and Foreigner goes on next or they do what Styx & REO did on the Classic Rock's Main Event tour and alternate opening.
My blog = Dave's Dominion
conversationpc
Super Audio CD

Postby Don » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:49 am

conversationpc wrote:Journey headlines...They're the most popular right now. After that, it's a crapshoot...I'd say Styx opens and Foreigner goes on next or they do what Styx & REO did on the Classic Rock's Main Event tour and alternate opening.

Foreigner says on their website that Styx is the special guest so I think Styx opens every show. Foreigner is just as popular as Journey in Europe but I think the J-boyz get the closer slot because of their success overall the last few years.
Don
Super Audio CD

Re: Journey, Foreigner, & Styx - The Grand Karaoke Tour

Postby pinkfloyd1973 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:16 am

Voyager wrote:None of these bands have their original lead vocalists that made them famous. Yet, they keep on touring as if they did. I think Styx should be headlining the tour since they actually have Tommy Shaw and James Young in the band, who sang lead vocals on some of their songs.

Tommy Shaw is not an original member either (ALTHOUGH he was in the band during their heyday) :P
"So this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause."
pinkfloyd1973
Cassette Tape

Postby mr.v » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:28 am

Journey headlines, Foreigner middle and Styx opens. Although I am a huge Styx fan, they had less success over seas than the other two groups. That being said I think it will be hard for Journey and Foreigner to follow them if their energy is anywhere near what it was on the tour that just ended. Styx is a GREAT live band and doing a short opening set will allow them to blow it out every night. Journey should consider themselves lucky to have Foreigner as a buffer between them and Styx. Just for the record I am a big Journey fan as well.
mr.v
45 RPM

Postby Saint John » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:34 am

Updated tour schedule:

06.04.11 • London, UK • Wembley Arena
06.05.11 • Birmingham, UK • LG Arena
06.07.11 • Newcastle, UK • Metro Arena
06.08.11 • Manchester, UK • Evening News Arena
06.09.11 • Glasgow, UK • SECC
06.11.11 • Dublin, Ireland • The O2 Arena
06.12.11 • Belfast, N. Ireland • Odyssey Arena
Saint John
Super Audio CD

Postby SusieP » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:40 am

Journey stole the show when they played at Download [Donington] last year.

The crowd went WILD for them. And I think they got the best crowd response out of all the bands that year.

That's why I think they are headlining this tour.

http://www.smoothduo.co.uk
https://www.facebook.com/SuzeFromSmoothDuo/ Twitter @smoothduo
Rest In Peace Deano.
SusieP
Stereo LP

Postby mikemarrs » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:45 am

in order of overall success it goes like this

Journey headlines, Foreigner middle and Styx opens.
mikemarrs
Stereo LP

Postby Don » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:51 am

Saint John wrote:Updated tour schedule:

06.04.11 • London, UK • Wembley Arena
06.05.11 • Birmingham, UK • LG Arena
06.07.11 • Newcastle, UK • Metro Arena
06.08.11 • Manchester, UK • Evening News Arena
06.09.11 • Glasgow, UK • SECC
06.11.11 • Dublin, Ireland • The O2 Arena
06.12.11 • Belfast, N. Ireland • Odyssey Arena

These are listed like Co-Headliner dates with no Styx. I think Styx will be at Sweden Rock Festival anyway. So, no Download Festival then.
Last edited by Don on Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don
Super Audio CD

Postby Jana » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:56 am

SusieP wrote:Journey stole the show when they played at Download [Donington] last year.

The crowd went WILD for them. And I think they got the best crowd response out of all the bands that year.

That's pretty amazing when you consider the type of crowd that was there, more for heavier rock acts. I remember reading comments by people at Download raving about Journey.
Jana
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Don » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:59 am

Jana wrote:
SusieP wrote:Journey stole the show when they played at Download [Donington] last year.

That's pretty amazing when you consider the type of crowd that was there, more for heavier rock acts. I remember reading comments by people at Download raving about Journey.

Unless Journey is okay with six shows in a row and can play Download that Friday, they aren't going this year (which I THINK IS BETTER FOR THEM ANYWAY).
Don
Super Audio CD

Postby Rockindeano » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:15 am

Don wrote:
Jana wrote:

Unless Journey is okay with six shows in a row and can play Download that Friday, they aren't going this year (which I THINK IS BETTER FOR THEM ANYWAY).

I already see a three day back to back to back...I am sure Pineda will sound wonderful tuned down that third night.
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby Ehwmatt » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:17 am

Rockindeano wrote:
Don wrote:
Jana wrote:

I already see a three day back to back to back...I am sure Pineda will sound wonderful tuned down that third night.

Say, how did that Four Loko treat you the other night?
Ehwmatt
MP3

Re: Journey, Foreigner, & Styx - The Grand Karaoke Tour

Postby Everett » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:18 am

Voyager wrote:None of these bands have their original lead vocalists that made them famous. Yet, they keep on touring as if they did.

I think Styx should be headlining the tour since they actually have Tommy Shaw and James Young in the band, who sang lead vocals on some of their songs.

How do they determine who headlines the tour, when none of the bands have their original lead singer? Is it based on their popularity from back when they had their original lead singer, or on how well their new lead singer can sing karaoke today?

Who cares styx is the BEST band on this bill. Foreigner and journey should be OPENING for them!!!!! :twisted: :evil: 8)

(you can't tell i'm biased can you? :lol:)
Everett
Compact Disc

Postby Saint John » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:21 am

Rockindeano wrote:
Don wrote:
Jana wrote:

No different than Perry at the same age when he failed to finish the tuned down FTLOSM tour. Hell, he couldn't even finish the ROR tour when he was only 38.
Saint John
Super Audio CD

Postby Rockindeano » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:30 am

Ehwmatt wrote:
Rockindeano wrote:
Don wrote:
Jana wrote:

Say, how did that Four Loko treat you the other night?

Had a blast. Was up til 230A, buzzed strong all night, but nothing "weird." I would definitely do it again, and next time accelerate it a bit more...and drink more too. Two thumbs up from me.
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby scarab » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:34 am

So Journey becomes the top trex on dino tour, with all three band with out their lead singers,

great way for journey to tour behind their upcoming cd. maybe we will hear 1 new song, and maybe 1 from augeri era
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Rockindeano » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:35 am

Saint John wrote:
Rockindeano wrote:
Don wrote:
Jana wrote:

No different than Perry at the same age when he failed to finish the tuned down FTLOSM tour. Hell, he couldn't even finish the ROR tour when he was only 38.

We have had this argument before. Perry at this age doesn't fly, Dan. Throughout his career, Perry played to arenas full of people, bringing his A game nightly, unlike Pineda who dawdled along in bars singing less difficult songs....I can tell you though, that during the Departure tour, Perry sang 30 straight days back to back. I have to dig it up, but it is on the net. I just think Pineda is much more fragile than Perry ever was.

If you want to talk the ROR tour, then I can't comment. Only Perry knows why he didn't continue on. He said he was toast, but if you notice, he never ever sang another live night with Journey again, so it could definitely be more to his voice going away. There could have very well been a personality clash that took place, or even a band fight, we don't really know. But for you to even want to put up Pineda vs Perry is pretty ballsy, and pretty fuckin stupid.
Last edited by Rockindeano on Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby Don » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:36 am

They'll either be stepped down all the shows or none. I can't see them yoyo'ing with that.
Don
Super Audio CD

Postby Saint John » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:57 am

Rockindeano wrote: Perry at this age doesn't fly, Dan.

Sure it does. After all, he took such great care of his voice. Even going so far as to not to talk to anyone. Is that what he's doing today, too?:lol: :roll:

Rockindeano wrote: Throughout his career, Perry played to arenas full of people, bringing his A game nightly, unlike Pineda who dawdled along in bars singing less difficult songs....

Um, no. Pineda was also singing Journey songs, songs not in his natural range, doing it for 3 times as long and on more days of the week. All in smoky bars, 5-6 nights a week.

Rockindeano wrote:I can tell you though, that during the Departure tour, Perry sang 30 straight days back to back. I have to dig it up, but it is on the net. I just think Pineda is much more fragile than Perry ever was.

Perry was Superman for awhile, but there's nothing to suggest that he was anything but a 10 year singer that didn't take care of his voice.

Rockindeano wrote:If you want to talk the ROR tour, then I can't comment. Only Perry knows why he didn't continue on. He said he was toast, but if you notice, he never ever sang another live night with Journey again, so it could definitely be more to his voice going away. There could have very well been a personality clash that took place, or even a band fight, we don't really know.

He struggled like hell a great amount of nights on that tour just to sing the older songs in key. Often times, and the proof is all there, they sounded like absolute shit. Sounds like he was the one that was "fragile." He really couldn't sing most songs in key for more than any 5-6 year period.
Saint John
Super Audio CD

Postby Jeremey » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:08 pm

I love Arnel, and I think he's a great singer. Many times I hear that he sang 6 hours a night, every night of the week. My question is, where does this happen, and for how long did it go on? Can anyone help a brotha out with some specific information? Cause that's fuckin NUTS! :lol:
Jeremey
Stereo LP

Postby Saint John » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:15 pm

Jeremey wrote:I love Arnel, and I think he's a great singer. Many times I hear that he sang 6 hours a night, every night of the week. My question is, where does this happen, and for how long did it go on? Can anyone help a brotha out with some specific information? Cause that's fuckin NUTS! :lol:

Good read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnel_Pineda
Saint John
Super Audio CD

Postby Rockindeano » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:16 pm

Oh Wikipedia....let me guess, put thogether by a few million Pinoys. No, that's not a stretch of the fucking truth, no. :roll:
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby Don » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:17 pm

Jeremey wrote:I love Arnel, and I think he's a great singer. Many times I hear that he sang 6 hours a night, every night of the week. My question is, where does this happen, and for how long did it go on? Can anyone help a brotha out with some specific information? Cause that's fuckin NUTS! :lol:

He was doing it in bars inthe Philppines and Hong kong. I've seen plenty of great Filipino singers there and those working abroad in Japan doing it. 6 days a week, 5 to 6 hours a night, and in really smoked filled rooms. These guys/gals would do it years on end to feed their family, some sounding even better than Arnel.
Don
Super Audio CD

Postby larryfromnextdoor » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:19 pm

the story gets bigger and bigger.. 6 hours a night , standing on one leg, sick, in a smokey room , while getting shot at ..

etc etc.. 8) maybe it was for 6 hours.. from 8 pm-2am... with 30 min between each set .. giving buckets of beer away to kill time. .. with a 10 min. drum solo.. and really try to end at 1:45 am to start loading gear.. collect his share of $175.. and go to work in the morning.. and say that he does it for the music.. and not the $50 bar freebies.. :lol:
larryfromnextdoor
MP3

Postby Melissa » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:22 pm

larryfromnextdoor wrote: in a smokey room

Was there wine and cheap perfume too?

:lol:
Melissa
Compact Disc

Postby S2M » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:25 pm

Melissa wrote:

Dork! lol
Tom Brady IS the G.O.A.T.
S2M
MP3

Postby larryfromnextdoor » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:26 pm

Melissa wrote:

my ladies wear White Diamonds.. sometimes Red Door :lol: we shop a Dillards for PERfume 8)
larryfromnextdoor
MP3

Postby Melissa » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:31 pm

S2M wrote:
Melissa wrote:

Dork! lol

Yes I am :oops: :lol: But hey it IS funny, especially if made you utter a little laugh :lol:
Melissa
Compact Disc

Postby Melissa » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:32 pm

larryfromnextdoor wrote:
Melissa wrote:

my ladies wear White Diamonds.. sometimes Red Door :lol: we shop a Dillards for PERfume 8)

:lol: :lol:
Melissa
Compact Disc

Next

Return to Snowmobiles For The Sahara