Administrator

Postby Saint John » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:20 pm

You have a little tartar auce on your lip, boss. :lol:
Saint John
Super Audio CD

Re: Ok, it's official!

Postby Eric » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:45 pm

Okay..so..tell us this.

1) Out of the 5 songs they did live, are there any the Youtube clips didn't do justice

2) Are the 5 songs they performed live indeed the 5 best songs on the album?

3) Are you feelin' the concept?
Eric
Eric
Stereo LP

Postby froy » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:21 pm

Andrew wrote:I have the full Eclipse album.

It has been on constant playback.

And...

If Perry were in with this it would have been huge Thanks Steve
froy
Compact Disc

Postby Archetype » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:33 am

Thanks for that plethora of details.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby SF-Dano » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:53 am

And...

^^^^this

How do you leave a Journey fan in anticipation? I'll tell you tomorrow. :lol:
SF-Dano
Cassette Tape

Postby marco17 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:55 am

It's a Journey album, Andrew can't help but think it's the best thing since sliced bread :D
marco17
8 Track

Postby Don » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:05 am

Saint John wrote:You have a little tartar auce on your lip, boss. :lol:

Heavy, yet melodic. Adventurous, yet familiar. Dark & moody, yet uplifting. Simply bloody AMAZING.

I don't think that's tartar sauce.
Don
Super Audio CD

Postby S2M » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:13 am

Don wrote:
Saint John wrote:You have a little tartar auce on your lip, boss. :lol:

Heavy, yet melodic. Adventurous, yet familiar. Dark & moody, yet uplifting. Simply bloody AMAZING.

I don't think that's tartar sauce.

I'm recalling Dan in Elgin eating wings with Behshad..... :shock: :lol:
Tom Brady IS the G.O.A.T.
S2M
MP3

Postby steveo777 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:21 am

And...

You like it?

Is the constant playback so it will grow on you, or is it really that good???
steveo777
MP3

Postby jrnyjetster » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:42 am

I wonder if Steve Perry has his copy yet? :P :lol:
jrnyjetster
Cassette Tape

Postby S2M » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:46 am

BTW, any ex-member of ANY group, when asked, tells you that they haven't heard the latest release from ex-band, or isn't interested in checking it out is fucking lying through their pearly whites.... :evil: :lol:
S2M
MP3

Postby steveo777 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:47 am

S2M wrote:BTW, any ex-member of ANY group, when asked, tells you that they haven't heard the latest release from ex-band, or isn't interested in checking it out is fucking lying through their pearly whites.... :evil: :lol:

I believe this. It would be only natural to want to hear what your successors are doing, if only to remind yourself of how good you were.
steveo777
MP3

Postby Jana » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:38 am

And...

Waiting ..........................
Jana
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Andrew » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:46 am

Archetype wrote:Thanks for that plethora of details.

:D
Andrew
Administrator

Postby steveo777 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:55 am

Andrew wrote:
Archetype wrote:Thanks for that plethora of details.

:D

You're a good steward of the music that has been entrusted to you for your safe keeping, I see. :D
steveo777
MP3

Postby Andrew » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:59 am

Ok.

ECLIPSE is a MASTERPIECE.

There...I've said it.

The difference between Revelation and Eclipse is the same difference between Generations and Revelation. It is simply stunning.

This has been on daily constant rotation for a while now....it has plenty of time to sink in or wear off and it simply gets better and better. It's RAW though...well mixed, with so much going on, but it has such raw energy.

As Don quoted from my Twitter feed - it is heavy....but VERY melodic. The constant wall of guitars on this record is unbelievable. EVERY song features wailing solos and rocking riffs. The songs are LONG. Most over 6 mins, a few under.

The live YouTube clips are MUD compared to the finished product.

It is one of the boldest, bravest moves I have heard from a classic rock band. Maybe EVER as far as a band of this age. There are so many twists and turns, it is almost progressive in places. This record will likely scare the shit out of middle-America and the Perryloon fan club members.

It's dark and moody and heavy, but melodic and uplifting at the same time.

It features some utterly amazing guitar work. Neal sounds like 5 guitarists in one on some tracks. So much to absorb. Deen is a frickin machine. He has never pounded so hard on those skins, not even in Hardline.

Arnel - fuck me. What a stunning vocal performance. STUNNING. His vocals are a MILE in front of Revelation (and how good were those anyway!).

There is no way this band could EVER have recorded tis album with Steve P. No offence to Steve, but it simply rocks so much and Arnel is pushed the outer limits of human ability with some wailing vocals. And you know what - he spends a lot of the album signing in his own natural timbre, not trying to be SP or anyone else. And it works so well.

The songs - not one week moment on there at all. Not one song I would ever skip due to any particular mood. It has to be played thru from start to finish every time - but you'll need over 60 mins to do so!

More thoughts to come - but this has to be considered a classic. Simply put - it is one of the FINEST albums I have heard in my time running this site and has immediately declared itself to be one of my favourite Journey albums EVER.
Andrew
Administrator

Postby Glenn » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:03 am

S2M wrote:BTW, any ex-member of ANY group, when asked, tells you that they haven't heard the latest release from ex-band, or isn't interested in checking it out is fucking lying through their pearly whites.... :evil: :lol:

Good God in Heaven Sean....I found something I agree with you 100%.

:lol:
Glenn
Cassette Tape

Postby Melissa » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:05 am

Andrew wrote:This record will likely scare the shit out of middle-America and the Perryloon fan club members.

GOOD. That's what I want to hear!
Melissa
Compact Disc

Postby JRNYFan » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:09 am

Andrew wrote:Ok.

There...I've said it.

The difference between Revelation and Eclipse is the same difference between Generations and Revelation. It is simply stunning.

This has been on daily constant rotation for a while now....it has plenty of time to sink in or wear off and it simply gets better and better. It's RAW though...well mixed, with so much going on, but it has such raw energy.

As Don quoted from my Twitter feed - it is heavy....but VERY melodic. The constant wall of guitars on this record is unbelievable. EVERY song features wailing solos and rocking riffs. The songs are LONG. Most over 6 mins, a few under.

It is one of the boldest, bravest moves I have heard from a classic rock band. Maybe EVER as far as a band of this age. There are so many twists and turns, it is almost progressive in places. This record will likely scare the shit out of middle-America and the Perryloon fan club members.

It features some utterly amazing guitar work. Neal sounds like 5 guitarists in one on some tracks. So much to absorb. Deen is a frickin machine. He has never pounded so hard on those skins, not even in Hardline.

Arnel - fuck me. What a stunning vocal performance. STUNNING. His vocals are a MILE in front of Revelation (and how good were those anyway!).

There is no way this band could EVER have recorded tis album with Steve P. No offence to Steve, but it simply rocks so much and Arnel is pushed the outer limits of human ability with some wailing vocals. And you know what - he spends a lot of the album signing in his own natural timbre, not trying to be SP or anyone else. And it works so well.

The songs - not one week moment on there at all. Not one song I would ever skip due to any particular mood. It has to be played thru from start to finish every time - but you'll need over 60 mins to do so!

More thoughts to come - but this has to be considered a classic. Simply put - it is one of the FINEST albums I have heard in my time running this site and has immediately declared itself to be one of my favourite Journey albums EVER.

Thanks Andrew! So what exactly is the concept on this record? I've heard the five songs from Vegas, but I still can't piece together a theme. Is it just their "views about the world and life" like Cain said or is there an actual theme?
JRNYFan
LP

Postby S2M » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:10 am

Melissa wrote:
Andrew wrote:This record will likely scare the shit out of middle-America and the Perryloon fan club members.

Huh? I thought you didn't like it.... :lol:
S2M
MP3

Postby Journey/Survivor » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:17 am

ANDREW

Are any of the songs on the album as heavy or even heavier than Journey songs like "One More" "Castles Burning" "Edge Of The Blade" "Out Of Harms Way?"

Is every song heavy, or are there any ballads?

Is there even one song on the album that's as heavy as Soul Sirkus at their heaviest?
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Jana » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:18 am

Andrew wrote:Ok.

There...I've said it.

There is no way this band could EVER have recorded this album with Steve P. No offence to Steve, but it simply rocks so much and Arnel is pushed the outer limits of human ability with some wailing vocals. And you know what - he spends a lot of the album signing in his own natural timbre, not trying to be SP or anyone else. And it works so well.

The songs - not one weak moment on there at all. Not one song I would ever skip due to any particular mood. It has to be played thru from start to finish every time - but you'll need over 60 mins to do so!

Wow. You have got me really counting the days now until this album. I am really looking forward to it and will give it many listens before commenting, because albums like this usually need that, and especially from what you're saying.
Jana
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Melissa » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:20 am

S2M wrote:
Melissa wrote:

Huh? I thought you didn't like it.... :lol:

Oh shut up, you know what I mean! :lol: He even said the youtubes sounded like mud, so it's obvious, like I said more than once, there's no way to get a feel from youtubes for new, never-before-heard songs. I hope it scares the shit out of everyone here :lol:
Melissa
Compact Disc

Postby S2M » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:20 am

Heavy and melodic...but is it catchy? With 'heavy and melodic' you could be talking about Anthrax. With 'dark and moody' you could be talking about King Diamond...neither is catchy.

And a 5 guitared layer of sound? hard to duplicate in concert. Journey has always been a band that releases stuff based on the current limitations of it's lead singer. I have no doubt that SP couldn't sing this album. I'm sure he wouldn't want to either.

Journey has no identity, and hasn't since TBF. And it's sad, really....
S2M
MP3

Postby steveo777 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:24 am

So one of two things here. This album is really damn good, or Andrew has jumped the shark. :wink:

I have a feeling I'm gonna want to play this one loud. :D
steveo777
MP3

Postby S2M » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:27 am

steveo777 wrote:So one of two things here. This album is really damn good, or Andrew has jumped the shark. :wink:

Right about now Drew is wearing a leather jacket, rockin that white t-shirt, and is at Arnold's necking with Pinky.... :lol:
S2M
MP3

Postby Jana » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:29 am

S2M wrote:Heavy and melodic...but is it catchy? With 'heavy and melodic' you could be talking about Anthrax. With 'dark and moody' you could be talking about King Diamond...neither is catchy.

And a 5 guitared layer of sound? hard to duplicate in concert. Journey has always been a band that releases stuff based on the current limitations of it's lead singer. I have no doubt that SP couldn't sing this album. I'm sure he wouldn't want to either.

You don't want it to be good.
Jana
Digital Audio Tape

Postby steveo777 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:32 am

Jana wrote:
S2M wrote:Heavy and melodic...but is it catchy? With 'heavy and melodic' you could be talking about Anthrax. With 'dark and moody' you could be talking about King Diamond...neither is catchy.

Nobody ever wants to be proven wrong. Eating crow and humble pie is never fun! :lol:
steveo777
MP3

Postby S2M » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:34 am

Jana wrote:

Wrong. To me, this is like going from RATKOS to ELAHE....ROR being ELAHE, and the last 4 albums/EP have been RATKOS.

I wish Journey would get their asses together and realize their legacy. An SP-led Journey with a diminished voice is better than the trash they've been releasing for 10 years....sorry.
Last edited by S2M on Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
S2M
MP3

Next

Return to Journey