President Barack Obama - Term 1 and 2 Thread

Off Topic Babble. The really important stuff...

Moderator: Andrew

President Barack Obama - Term 1 and 2 Thread

Postby Fact Finder » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:53 am

Now that the Inaugural Honeymoon is over, it's time to start examining the first term of President Obama.

Good or bad, or however you see it, post it in here and we can spare Andrew the suffering of multiple threads on every little thing that the President does. The Presidential election thread went on for quite awhile and for the most part was pretty orderly. Let's see if this thread can do the same, and better than that, let's see if we can keep it going for 4 years.

Hit it with your best shot.

God Bless America!
Last edited by Fact Finder on Wed May 31, 2017 12:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Only $5 Million more and I'll be a Greedy One Percenter.
Fact Finder
MP3

Postby Fact Finder » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:55 am

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id ... _article=1

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan (AP) - Missiles fired from a suspected U.S. spy plane killed seven people Friday on the Pakistan side of the Afghan border, a lawless region where al-Qaida militants are known to hide out, officials said.

The strike was the first on Pakistani territory since the inauguration of President Barrack Obama.

Pakistani leaders had expressed hope Obama would halt the attacks, more than 30 of which have been launched since the middle of last year, reportedly killing several senior militants.

The pro-U.S. government routinely protests them as a violation of the country's sovereignty, but most observers speculate it has an unwritten agreement allowing them to take place.

One drone fired three missiles into the village of Zharki in North Waziristan, hitting two buildings, the intelligence officials said on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the media.

At least seven people were killed, but there identities were not immediately known.

Fact Finder
MP3

Postby Fact Finder » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:57 am

http://www.iht.com/articles/2009/01/23/ ... 414168.php

Guantánamo detainee resurfaces in terrorist group

By Robert F. Worth Published: January 23, 2009

BEIRUT: The emergence of a former Guantánamo Bay detainee as the deputy leader of Al Qaeda's Yemeni branch has underscored the potential complications in carrying out the executive order that President Barack Obama signed that the detention center be shut down within a year.

The militant, Said Ali al-Shihri, is suspected of involvement in a deadly bombing of the U.S. Embassy in Yemen's capital, Sana, in September. He was released to Saudi Arabia in 2007 and passed through a Saudi rehabilitation program for former jihadists before resurfacing with Al Qaeda in Yemen

His status was announced in an Internet statement by the militant group and was confirmed by a U.S. counterterrorism official. "They're one and the same guy," said the official, who insisted on anonymity because he was discussing an intelligence analysis. "He returned to Saudi Arabia in 2007, but his movements to Yemen remain unclear."

The development came as Republican legislators criticized the plan to close the Guantánamo Bay detention camp in the absence of any measures for dealing with current detainees. But it also helps explain why the new administration wants to move cautiously, taking time to work out a plan to cope with the complications.

Almost half the camp's remaining detainees are Yemenis, and efforts to repatriate them depend in part on the creation of a Yemeni rehabilitation program - financed in part by the United States - similar to the Saudi one. The Saudi government has claimed that no graduate of its program has returned to terrorism.

"The lesson here is: Whoever receives former Guantánamo detainees needs to keep a close eye on them," the U.S. official said.
Fact Finder
MP3

Postby stevew2 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:57 am

Keep Tito banned from this thread
stevew2
MP3

Postby Michigan Girl » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:59 am

The only complaint I have, thus far, is the amount of money
spent on the inauguration events considering the state of our
economy....funds should've been cut, somewhere!!! :( :wink:

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Inaugura ... 946&page=1
Michigan Girl
MP3

Postby Fact Finder » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:59 am

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/7cf745dc-e8ce ... fd2ac.html

Obama urges Israel to open Gaza borders

By Daniel Dombey in Washington and Tobias Buck in Jerusalem

Published: January 22 2009 22:07 | Last updated: January 23 2009 00:04

President Barack Obama urged Israel on Thursday to open its borders with Gaza.

The plea came in a speech that signalled the new US administration’s shift from Bush-era policy on the Middle East and the world as a whole. In a high-profile address on his second day in office, just hours after he signed an executive order to close the centre at Guantánamo Bay, Mr Obama proclaimed that the US would “actively and aggressively seek a lasting peace between Israel and the Palestinians” in the wake of this month’s Gaza war.

“The outline for a durable ceasefire is clear: Hamas must end its rocket fire: Israel will complete the withdrawal of its forces from Gaza: the US and our partners will support a credible anti-smuggling and interdiction regime, so that Hamas cannot re-arm,” the US president said.

“As part of a lasting ceasefire, Gaza’s border crossings should be open to allow the flow of aid and commerce, with an appropriate monitoring regime, with the international and Palestinian Authority participating.”

Mr Obama and Hillary Clinton, secretary of state, also announced the appointment of George Mitchell, as the US special envoy for the Arab-Israeli conflict and Richard Holbrooke, former US ambassador to the United Nations, as representative for Afghanistan-Pakistan.
Fact Finder
MP3

Postby stevew2 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:01 am

Michigan Girl wrote:The only complaint I have, thus far, is the amount of money
spent on the inauguration events considering the state of our
economy....funds should've been cut, somewhere!!! :( :wink:

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Inaugura ... 946&page=1
That happens with every president, it is retarded though
stevew2
MP3

Postby Tomulator » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:09 am

Uhh...hstily ordering Guantanamo Bay closed BEFORE you figure out what to do with the prisoners was unwise, IMO.

:shock:
"I was merely probing the patient for muscle tone and skeletal girth. We mock what we don't understand."
Tomulator
Cassette Tape

Postby stevew2 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:13 am

Tomulator wrote:Uhh...hstily ordering Guantanamo Bay closed BEFORE you figure out what to do with the prisoners was unwise, IMO.

i think he is going to give them a shovel and make the prisoners build roads and bridges,thats what i would do
stevew2
MP3

Postby conversationpc » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:15 am

Tomulator wrote:Uhh...hstily ordering Guantanamo Bay closed BEFORE you figure out what to do with the prisoners was unwise, IMO.

Considering how often he'd talked about it even before the election, you think he would've already had a plan for this. It doesn't sound like it was thought through very well.
My blog = Dave's Dominion

conversationpc
Super Audio CD

Postby finalfight » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:24 am

He's already figured that out...

Middle of ocean

Splash, splash, splash, splash, splash, splash, splash, splash, splash, splash, splash, splash, splash, splash, splash, splash, splash, splash, splash
finalfight

Postby Fact Finder » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:30 am

Now they've updated that Pakistan Story to 2 missle strikes and up to 18 killed. Is there any doubt that O knew about or orderd the strikes to go ahead? Maybe he won't need Gitmo because he's gonna kill em all, take no prisoners and let Allah sort em out.. :shock:
Fact Finder
MP3

Postby Fact Finder » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:35 am

Fact Finder
MP3

Postby bluejeangirl76 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:42 am

finalfight wrote:

He's already figured that out...

Middle of ocean

Splash, splash, splash, splash, splash, splash, splash, splash, splash, splash, splash, splash, splash, splash, splash, splash, splash, splash, splash

LMAO! Yeah there ya go.

But yeah, right off the bat, this Gitmo thing isn't striking me as a particularly good idea.
Its gonna be an interesting four years.

I am, however, looking forward to watching Sideshow Joe. Man that guy is gonna be fun. I'm betting on some Cheney-shooting-his-friend-in-the-face style extra-curricular hijinks. :twisted:
bluejeangirl76
MP3

Postby conversationpc » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:07 am

Fact Finder wrote:Image

What's the purpose of posting a pic of this gossip rag?

conversationpc
Super Audio CD

Postby bluejeangirl76 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:55 am

:lol: :lol:
bluejeangirl76
MP3

Postby Onestepper » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:01 am

bluejeangirl76 wrote:Image

This made me laugh. Hard.
Onestepper
Cassette Tape

Postby Fact Finder » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:10 am

conversationpc wrote:

What's the purpose of posting a pic of this gossip rag?

I saw it at the market this morning and thought it was funny. That's all.
Fact Finder
MP3

Postby Luvsaugeri » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:15 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Luvsaugeri
Cassette Tape

Postby LLL » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:37 am

BJG - when I first saw this post I didn't see the website logo in the bottom corner clearly because of the angle of my lcd screen. It looked like it said "punchkitten.com" instead of "punditkitchen.com". I was LMAO thinking they really had a site for the kitten puncher thing! :lol: :lol:
LLL
Cassette Tape

Postby Rhiannon » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:44 am

:P
Rhiannon
MP3

Postby finalfight » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:44 am

LLL wrote:

BJG - when I first saw this post I didn't see the website logo in the bottom corner clearly because of the angle of my lcd screen. It looked like it said "punchkitten.com" instead of "punditkitchen.com". I was LMAO thinking they really had a site for the kitten puncher thing! :lol: :lol:

I tawt I saw that too! :lol:
finalfight

Postby Lula » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:59 am

conversationpc wrote:

Considering how often he'd talked about it even before the election, you think he would've already had a plan for this. It doesn't sound like it was thought through very well.

my understanding is the detainees will be put into the u.s. system of justice and leave behind the seemingly illegal practices of the past several (bush) years.
Lula
Stereo LP

Postby Andrew » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:22 am

The height of journalistic integrity and excellence....look at those insightful articles. Can some one post me a copy of this magazine from the USA. It looks like essential bathroom reading.
Andrew
Administrator

Postby conversationpc » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:23 am

Lula wrote:
conversationpc wrote:

my understanding is the detainees will be put into the u.s. system of justice and leave behind the seemingly illegal practices of the past several (bush) years.

How is that possible since they are not subject to nor are they entitled to the rights inherent in our system of justice?

conversationpc
Super Audio CD

Postby Lula » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:36 am

i don't know dave. i'm just going off of the few tidbits i heard on the radio. i suppose there is a year to figure it out though. i like the idea of closing the 'camp' and hope it does happen.
Lula
Stereo LP

Postby finalfight » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:38 am

Andrew wrote:

The height of journalistic integrity and excellence....look at those insightful articles. Can some one post me a copy of this magazine from the USA. It looks like essential bathroom reading.

Might make an interesting April Fools diversion to redecorate the front page of MR with similarly ludicrous articles! You could start with one about Perry actually releasing new material! :lol:
finalfight

Postby Rick » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:55 am

finalfight wrote:
Andrew wrote:

Might make an interesting April Fools diversion to redecorate the front page of MR with similarly ludicrous articles! You could start with one about Perry actually releasing new material! :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I like to sit out on the front porch, where the birds can see me, eating a plate of scrambled eggs, just so they know what I'm capable of.
Rick
Super Audio CD

Postby S2M » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:00 am

finalfight wrote:
Andrew wrote:

Yeah, you can start it off by reporting that an anonymous source(sister's cousin's third grade teacher's proctologist) claims SMFP is releasing something by November...... :shock:
Tom Brady IS the G.O.A.T.
S2M
MP3

Postby TRAGChick » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:02 am

LMAO!!!

Perhaps THIS should be my new Wallpaper!! :lol: :lol: :twisted:

Yeahright.....my Husband, the Republican, would freakin' DIVORCE me.... :o
TRAGChick
Compact Disc

Next