Pieces of Eight Cover

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Pieces of Eight Cover

Postby brywool » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:49 am

Um...

WHAT was the band thinking with the album cover for Pieces of Eight??????
NO. He's NOT Steve F'ing Perry. But he's Arnel F'ing Pineda and I'm okay with that.
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Everett » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:14 am

ask JY
All in a day's work
Everett
Compact Disc

Re: Pieces of Eight Cover

Postby bugsymalone » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:23 am

brywool wrote:Um...

There is an interview with Dennis somewhere where he talks about this album cover design at length. Darned if I know where I might find it again. Suite is our go-to person on this...eh, Suite?? :D

I do remember his making fun of the older women on the cover but saying something to the effect that they represent the moneyed class and the Easter Island statues as earring decorations maybe represent some sort of worship. Maybe of money?

I believe I also read that Chuck was the person responsible for album cover art and the rest of the group left that to him.

Bugsy
Change your hairdo. Change your name.
Congratulations! You're still the same.
bugsymalone
Stereo LP

Postby brywool » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:56 am

it stinks.
NO. He's NOT Steve F'ing Perry. But he's Arnel F'ing Pineda and I'm okay with that.
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Postby bugsymalone » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:09 am

brywool wrote:it stinks.

LOL!

Bugsy
bugsymalone
Stereo LP

Postby Everett » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:22 am

brywool wrote:it stinks.

It's not the worst cover though
All in a day's work
Everett
Compact Disc

Postby FormerDJMike » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:47 am

Dennis talks about it in the Redbeard interview. I forgot which interview it was but it was mainly him and JY with Redbeard. Dennis said he hated it but now that he's older
"those women look pretty good!". It may be on the GI interview. Again, I dont remember which one.
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:06 am

bugsymalone wrote:

There is an interview with Dennis somewhere where he talks about this album cover design at length. Darned if I know where I might find it again. Suite is our go-to person on this...eh, Suite?? :D

I do remember his making fun of the older women on the cover but saying something to the effect that they represent the moneyed class and the Easter Island statues as earring decorations maybe represent some sort of worship. Maybe of money?

I believe I also read that Chuck was the person responsible for album cover art and the rest of the group left that to him.

Bugsy

Here is one of the interviews, I think I have a few more :)

DDY: It's really very highly intellectual - it's three old broads on Easter Island, as far as I can tell looking at this thing. Here's the deal: when the people who designed this album cover, Hipgnosis, they're English - I think that explains most of it - when they showed me this album cover, I gotta tell you, I hated it. "Why do you have these old women on our album cover?" was the first thought that came to my mind. But here's the deal (and of course, now that I've gotten older, these women are starting to look pretty good to me): since pretty much what Pieces of Eight is about is not giving up your dreams just for the pursuit of money and material possessions, this album cover symbolizes these women who are affluent by their demeanor and they way they're dressed, and they all have these earrings on which are of the Easter Island statues, made famous by Thor Heyerdahl in Aku-Aku, and what that supposedly symbolizes is that these women - imagine them all belonging to the same country club, where the status symbol is to have these earrings, the statue of these little Easter Island earrings, as a symbol of their achievements in life, a symbol of their monetary success and materialism, yet Easter Island, as we all know, the statues themselves symbolize a lost civilization, which somehow built these wonderful monuments, and has completely disappeared without any trace. So I suppose the moral of the story is, when you just pursue this sort of thing, this monetary gratification, that perhaps the ultimate goal would be extinction.
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby bugsymalone » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:06 am

SuiteMadameBlue wrote:
bugsymalone wrote:

Bugsy

DDY: It's really very highly intellectual - it's three old broads on Easter Island, as far as I can tell looking at this thing. Here's the deal: when the people who designed this album cover, Hipgnosis, they're English - I think that explains most of it - when they showed me this album cover, I gotta tell you, I hated it. "Why do you have these old women on our album cover?" was the first thought that came to my mind. But here's the deal (and of course, now that I've gotten older, these women are starting to look pretty good to me): since pretty much what Pieces of Eight is about is not giving up your dreams just for the pursuit of money and material possessions, this album cover symbolizes these women who are affluent by their demeanor and they way they're dressed, and they all have these earrings on which are of the Easter Island statues, made famous by Thor Heyerdahl in Aku-Aku, and what that supposedly symbolizes is that these women - imagine them all belonging to the same country club, where the status symbol is to have these earrings, the statue of these little Easter Island earrings, as a symbol of their achievements in life, a symbol of their monetary success and materialism, yet Easter Island, as we all know, the statues themselves symbolize a lost civilization, which somehow built these wonderful monuments, and has completely disappeared without any trace. So I suppose the moral of the story is, when you just pursue this sort of thing, this monetary gratification, that perhaps the ultimate goal would be extinction.

Perfect! Thank you, Dennis, for that astute analysis. And thank you, Suite, for finding and posting it. I knew you could do it! :)

Bugsy
bugsymalone
Stereo LP

Postby brywool » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:25 am

bugsymalone wrote:
SuiteMadameBlue wrote:
bugsymalone wrote:

Bugsy

Perfect! Thank you, Dennis, for that astute analysis. And thank you, Suite, for finding and posting it. I knew you could do it! :)

Bugsy

Maybe when they remaster it, they could change the name and cover to something called "BP" and have a picture of an oil slick...
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Postby pinkfloyd1973 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:29 pm

SuiteMadameBlue wrote: Here is one of the interviews, I think I have a few more :)

Hipgnosis, I believe is the art design group which Storm Thorgerson was affiliated with :D

Robin
8)

"So this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause."
pinkfloyd1973
Cassette Tape

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:30 pm

pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
SuiteMadameBlue wrote: Here is one of the interviews, I think I have a few more :)

Hipgnosis, I believe is the art design group which Storm Thorgerson was affiliated with :D

Robin
8)

Hipgnosis was a British art design group that specialized in creating cover art for the albums of rock musicians and bands, most notably Pink Floyd, Wishbone Ash, UFO, 10cc, Bad Company, Led Zeppelin, The Alan Parsons Project and Genesis. Hipgnosis consisted primarily of Storm Thorgerson, Aubrey Powell, and later, Peter Christopherson. The group dissolved in 1983, though Thorgerson still works on album designs, and Powell works in video, most notably with The Who.
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby Boomchild » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:53 pm

brywool wrote:
bugsymalone wrote:
SuiteMadameBlue wrote:
bugsymalone wrote:

Bugsy

Bugsy

Maybe when they remaster it, they could change the name and cover to something called "BP" and have a picture of an oil slick...

Good luck on seeing any re-masters in the US of full albums by Universal (who now owns A&M's catalog). They don't seem to have much interest in Styx's catalog at all. The last re-master was GI and Universal didn't even do it. Plus it wasn't anything to write home about. It's a shame.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby ptgraphics » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:24 pm

I like the PO8 cover. Hipgnosis did some fantastic covers. There is a whole book just on Storm Thorgerson and the album covers his team did.

Storm Thorgerson also did the Cyclorama CD artwork. I don't like that one as much though.

Pat
ptgraphics
Ol' 78

Postby brywool » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:57 am

ptgraphics wrote:I like the PO8 cover. Hipgnosis did some fantastic covers. There is a whole book just on Storm Thorgerson and the album covers his team did.

Storm Thorgerson also did the Cyclorama CD artwork. I don't like that one as much though.

Pat

I knew that was coming... I actually prefer that cover. Both tend to send similar messages regarding money. Hipgnosis did some great art in the 70s. Just not wild about PO8's cover
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Postby ptgraphics » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:36 am

brywool wrote:
ptgraphics wrote:I like the PO8 cover. Hipgnosis did some fantastic covers. There is a whole book just on Storm Thorgerson and the album covers his team did.

Pat

I knew that was coming... I actually prefer that cover. Both tend to send similar messages regarding money. Hipgnosis did some great art in the 70s. Just not wild about PO8's cover

It just seems too much like a Alan Parsons cover to me (and I like AP), especially one of his later releases.

Pat
ptgraphics
Ol' 78

Return to Styx