Lawrence Gowan review

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Re: Lawrence Gowan review

Postby Monker » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:33 am

Boomchild wrote:
Monker wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
Monker wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
Monker wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
Monker wrote:Unlike Dennis, Gowan doesn't have to rely on Styx songs to have a solo tour.


LOL, All Gowan has had prior to Styx is a solo career so that's like comparing an apple to an orange. Of course Dennis is not as recognized for his solo work as his work in Styx. Thanks for pointing out the bleeding obvious. You point this out as if this is something uncommon for artists like Dennis that were in a very popular band and then went solo and their solo work did not catch on as much as their prior work. This kind of thing happens to many artists. Not to mention Dennis has always said that he didn't really want to be a solo artist and envisioned that Styx would regroup with Tommy at some point. He really didn't do much in supporting those solo releases. If memory serves, the solo shows that Tommy had lined up for his last solo album got cancelled due to lack of ticket sales.


Blah, blah, blah. Gowan can tour as a solo act and Dennis can't. Dennis tried for YEARS to do it, and couldn't. That is the way it is...regardless of your spin.


Sure Gowan can, as long as it is in Canada. Dennis' success in the music business overshadows Gowan's by a mile.


Correct, despite all of Dennis' success in the music business, he can't tour as a solo act...in any country. Yes, Gowan can.


I don't think it really matters to Dennis nor his fans that he performs his Styx material rather then his solo material. After all, he spent the majority of his career in Styx in the first place. As far as Gowan goes, the only places he can perform as a solo act is in Canada and maybe in the UK. The only way he has been able to perform in the U.S. is to join an act that was far bigger then his entire solo career singing songs thataren't even his. Even with that Gowan couldn't get a booking for a solo show in the U.S. even at your local bar.


Correct. Gowan can perform a solo tour performing solo songs and Dennis and his fans do not care enough about his solo songs and his solo career to allow for a very successful solo tour.

And, if nobody cared about this, you wouldn't be arguing about it.


I am happy to see Dennis perform no matter whether it his solo or Styx material. So for me it has nothing to do with having any preference of his solo or material he has done with Styx. I am sure that I am not the only one with that viewpoint. The only successful solo touring Gowan has done is in Canada, which isn't saying much. He never broke beyond that.


Correct. Gowan can tour in Canada as a solo act. Despite people like you who do not care what his set list is, Dennis can not tour as a solo act anywhere in the world.
User avatar
Monker
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 7015
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: Lawrence Gowan review

Postby Boomchild » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:53 am

Monker wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
Monker wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
Monker wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
Monker wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
Monker wrote:Unlike Dennis, Gowan doesn't have to rely on Styx songs to have a solo tour.


LOL, All Gowan has had prior to Styx is a solo career so that's like comparing an apple to an orange. Of course Dennis is not as recognized for his solo work as his work in Styx. Thanks for pointing out the bleeding obvious. You point this out as if this is something uncommon for artists like Dennis that were in a very popular band and then went solo and their solo work did not catch on as much as their prior work. This kind of thing happens to many artists. Not to mention Dennis has always said that he didn't really want to be a solo artist and envisioned that Styx would regroup with Tommy at some point. He really didn't do much in supporting those solo releases. If memory serves, the solo shows that Tommy had lined up for his last solo album got cancelled due to lack of ticket sales.


Blah, blah, blah. Gowan can tour as a solo act and Dennis can't. Dennis tried for YEARS to do it, and couldn't. That is the way it is...regardless of your spin.


Sure Gowan can, as long as it is in Canada. Dennis' success in the music business overshadows Gowan's by a mile.


Correct, despite all of Dennis' success in the music business, he can't tour as a solo act...in any country. Yes, Gowan can.


I don't think it really matters to Dennis nor his fans that he performs his Styx material rather then his solo material. After all, he spent the majority of his career in Styx in the first place. As far as Gowan goes, the only places he can perform as a solo act is in Canada and maybe in the UK. The only way he has been able to perform in the U.S. is to join an act that was far bigger then his entire solo career singing songs thataren't even his. Even with that Gowan couldn't get a booking for a solo show in the U.S. even at your local bar.


Correct. Gowan can perform a solo tour performing solo songs and Dennis and his fans do not care enough about his solo songs and his solo career to allow for a very successful solo tour.

And, if nobody cared about this, you wouldn't be arguing about it.


I am happy to see Dennis perform no matter whether it his solo or Styx material. So for me it has nothing to do with having any preference of his solo or material he has done with Styx. I am sure that I am not the only one with that viewpoint. The only successful solo touring Gowan has done is in Canada, which isn't saying much. He never broke beyond that.


Correct. Gowan can tour in Canada as a solo act. Despite people like you who do not care what his set list is, Dennis can not tour as a solo act anywhere in the world.


And Gowan can't perform outside of Canada without doing someone else's material and using their brand recognition. Dennis never wanted to be a solo artist and it showed based on how little he did to promote it back in the day. He said he mainly did it to keep busy while Styx was on hiatus, in hopes that Tommy would rejoin Styx at some point. So, the fact that he did not have as much exposure as a solo artist isn't any surprise. I think Dennis would take the overall success he has had in the music business compared to Gowan's limited success that never went beyond Canada.
User avatar
Boomchild
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3384
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Delaware

Re: Lawrence Gowan review

Postby Monker » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:26 am

Boomchild wrote:
Monker wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
Monker wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
Monker wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
Monker wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
Monker wrote:Unlike Dennis, Gowan doesn't have to rely on Styx songs to have a solo tour.


LOL, All Gowan has had prior to Styx is a solo career so that's like comparing an apple to an orange. Of course Dennis is not as recognized for his solo work as his work in Styx. Thanks for pointing out the bleeding obvious. You point this out as if this is something uncommon for artists like Dennis that were in a very popular band and then went solo and their solo work did not catch on as much as their prior work. This kind of thing happens to many artists. Not to mention Dennis has always said that he didn't really want to be a solo artist and envisioned that Styx would regroup with Tommy at some point. He really didn't do much in supporting those solo releases. If memory serves, the solo shows that Tommy had lined up for his last solo album got cancelled due to lack of ticket sales.


Blah, blah, blah. Gowan can tour as a solo act and Dennis can't. Dennis tried for YEARS to do it, and couldn't. That is the way it is...regardless of your spin.


Sure Gowan can, as long as it is in Canada. Dennis' success in the music business overshadows Gowan's by a mile.


Correct, despite all of Dennis' success in the music business, he can't tour as a solo act...in any country. Yes, Gowan can.


I don't think it really matters to Dennis nor his fans that he performs his Styx material rather then his solo material. After all, he spent the majority of his career in Styx in the first place. As far as Gowan goes, the only places he can perform as a solo act is in Canada and maybe in the UK. The only way he has been able to perform in the U.S. is to join an act that was far bigger then his entire solo career singing songs thataren't even his. Even with that Gowan couldn't get a booking for a solo show in the U.S. even at your local bar.


Correct. Gowan can perform a solo tour performing solo songs and Dennis and his fans do not care enough about his solo songs and his solo career to allow for a very successful solo tour.

And, if nobody cared about this, you wouldn't be arguing about it.


I am happy to see Dennis perform no matter whether it his solo or Styx material. So for me it has nothing to do with having any preference of his solo or material he has done with Styx. I am sure that I am not the only one with that viewpoint. The only successful solo touring Gowan has done is in Canada, which isn't saying much. He never broke beyond that.


Correct. Gowan can tour in Canada as a solo act. Despite people like you who do not care what his set list is, Dennis can not tour as a solo act anywhere in the world.


And Gowan can't perform outside of Canada without doing someone else's material and using their brand recognition. Dennis never wanted to be a solo artist and it showed based on how little he did to promote it back in the day. He said he mainly did it to keep busy while Styx was on hiatus, in hopes that Tommy would rejoin Styx at some point. So, the fact that he did not have as much exposure as a solo artist isn't any surprise. I think Dennis would take the overall success he has had in the music business compared to Gowan's limited success that never went beyond Canada.


Correct. Dennis' overall success does not allow him to have a solo tour. And, Gowan's does.
User avatar
Monker
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 7015
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: Lawrence Gowan review

Postby Boomchild » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:47 pm

Monker wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
Monker wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
Monker wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
Monker wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
Monker wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
Monker wrote:Unlike Dennis, Gowan doesn't have to rely on Styx songs to have a solo tour.


LOL, All Gowan has had prior to Styx is a solo career so that's like comparing an apple to an orange. Of course Dennis is not as recognized for his solo work as his work in Styx. Thanks for pointing out the bleeding obvious. You point this out as if this is something uncommon for artists like Dennis that were in a very popular band and then went solo and their solo work did not catch on as much as their prior work. This kind of thing happens to many artists. Not to mention Dennis has always said that he didn't really want to be a solo artist and envisioned that Styx would regroup with Tommy at some point. He really didn't do much in supporting those solo releases. If memory serves, the solo shows that Tommy had lined up for his last solo album got cancelled due to lack of ticket sales.


Blah, blah, blah. Gowan can tour as a solo act and Dennis can't. Dennis tried for YEARS to do it, and couldn't. That is the way it is...regardless of your spin.


Sure Gowan can, as long as it is in Canada. Dennis' success in the music business overshadows Gowan's by a mile.


Correct, despite all of Dennis' success in the music business, he can't tour as a solo act...in any country. Yes, Gowan can.


I don't think it really matters to Dennis nor his fans that he performs his Styx material rather then his solo material. After all, he spent the majority of his career in Styx in the first place. As far as Gowan goes, the only places he can perform as a solo act is in Canada and maybe in the UK. The only way he has been able to perform in the U.S. is to join an act that was far bigger then his entire solo career singing songs thataren't even his. Even with that Gowan couldn't get a booking for a solo show in the U.S. even at your local bar.


Correct. Gowan can perform a solo tour performing solo songs and Dennis and his fans do not care enough about his solo songs and his solo career to allow for a very successful solo tour.

And, if nobody cared about this, you wouldn't be arguing about it.


I am happy to see Dennis perform no matter whether it his solo or Styx material. So for me it has nothing to do with having any preference of his solo or material he has done with Styx. I am sure that I am not the only one with that viewpoint. The only successful solo touring Gowan has done is in Canada, which isn't saying much. He never broke beyond that.


Correct. Gowan can tour in Canada as a solo act. Despite people like you who do not care what his set list is, Dennis can not tour as a solo act anywhere in the world.


And Gowan can't perform outside of Canada without doing someone else's material and using their brand recognition. Dennis never wanted to be a solo artist and it showed based on how little he did to promote it back in the day. He said he mainly did it to keep busy while Styx was on hiatus, in hopes that Tommy would rejoin Styx at some point. So, the fact that he did not have as much exposure as a solo artist isn't any surprise. I think Dennis would take the overall success he has had in the music business compared to Gowan's limited success that never went beyond Canada.


Correct. Dennis' overall success does not allow him to have a solo tour. And, Gowan's does.


Exactly, a solo career which never went beyond Canada, which in terms of the music business is minor success. As apposed to Dennis who co-founded a band that went on to multi-platinum success, the first band to have four of them in a row and is a band known the world over. If I had the choice I'd take Dennis level of success with a less successful solo career over Gowan's minor solo success. At least with Dennis performing his music of Styx shows it's material he was involved with making a success compared to Gowan who had be hired by another more successful act then his to have people know who he is.
User avatar
Boomchild
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3384
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Delaware

Re: Lawrence Gowan review

Postby Monker » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:02 pm

Boomchild wrote:
Monker wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
Monker wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
Monker wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
Monker wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
Monker wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
Monker wrote:Unlike Dennis, Gowan doesn't have to rely on Styx songs to have a solo tour.


LOL, All Gowan has had prior to Styx is a solo career so that's like comparing an apple to an orange. Of course Dennis is not as recognized for his solo work as his work in Styx. Thanks for pointing out the bleeding obvious. You point this out as if this is something uncommon for artists like Dennis that were in a very popular band and then went solo and their solo work did not catch on as much as their prior work. This kind of thing happens to many artists. Not to mention Dennis has always said that he didn't really want to be a solo artist and envisioned that Styx would regroup with Tommy at some point. He really didn't do much in supporting those solo releases. If memory serves, the solo shows that Tommy had lined up for his last solo album got cancelled due to lack of ticket sales.


Blah, blah, blah. Gowan can tour as a solo act and Dennis can't. Dennis tried for YEARS to do it, and couldn't. That is the way it is...regardless of your spin.


Sure Gowan can, as long as it is in Canada. Dennis' success in the music business overshadows Gowan's by a mile.


Correct, despite all of Dennis' success in the music business, he can't tour as a solo act...in any country. Yes, Gowan can.


I don't think it really matters to Dennis nor his fans that he performs his Styx material rather then his solo material. After all, he spent the majority of his career in Styx in the first place. As far as Gowan goes, the only places he can perform as a solo act is in Canada and maybe in the UK. The only way he has been able to perform in the U.S. is to join an act that was far bigger then his entire solo career singing songs thataren't even his. Even with that Gowan couldn't get a booking for a solo show in the U.S. even at your local bar.


Correct. Gowan can perform a solo tour performing solo songs and Dennis and his fans do not care enough about his solo songs and his solo career to allow for a very successful solo tour.

And, if nobody cared about this, you wouldn't be arguing about it.


I am happy to see Dennis perform no matter whether it his solo or Styx material. So for me it has nothing to do with having any preference of his solo or material he has done with Styx. I am sure that I am not the only one with that viewpoint. The only successful solo touring Gowan has done is in Canada, which isn't saying much. He never broke beyond that.


Correct. Gowan can tour in Canada as a solo act. Despite people like you who do not care what his set list is, Dennis can not tour as a solo act anywhere in the world.


And Gowan can't perform outside of Canada without doing someone else's material and using their brand recognition. Dennis never wanted to be a solo artist and it showed based on how little he did to promote it back in the day. He said he mainly did it to keep busy while Styx was on hiatus, in hopes that Tommy would rejoin Styx at some point. So, the fact that he did not have as much exposure as a solo artist isn't any surprise. I think Dennis would take the overall success he has had in the music business compared to Gowan's limited success that never went beyond Canada.


Correct. Dennis' overall success does not allow him to have a solo tour. And, Gowan's does.


Exactly, a solo career which never went beyond Canada, which in terms of the music business is minor success. As apposed to Dennis who co-founded a band that went on to multi-platinum success, the first band to have four of them in a row and is a band known the world over. If I had the choice I'd take Dennis level of success with a less successful solo career over Gowan's minor solo success. At least with Dennis performing his music of Styx shows it's material he was involved with making a success compared to Gowan who had be hired by another more successful act then his to have people know who he is.


Correct. Gowan, a now in a band known the world over, tours extensively with that band, and can tour as he wishes as a solo act in Canada. And, Dennis, despite all of his success, can only tour by hiring an entire replacement band so he can put on a tour each year with the music of his former band.
User avatar
Monker
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 7015
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Postby Everett » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:38 pm

Too many quotes guys. Oy.
All in a day's work
Everett
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5749
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:17 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Lawrence Gowan review

Postby Boomchild » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:24 pm

Monker wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
Monker wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
Monker wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
Monker wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
Monker wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
Monker wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
Monker wrote:Unlike Dennis, Gowan doesn't have to rely on Styx songs to have a solo tour.


LOL, All Gowan has had prior to Styx is a solo career so that's like comparing an apple to an orange. Of course Dennis is not as recognized for his solo work as his work in Styx. Thanks for pointing out the bleeding obvious. You point this out as if this is something uncommon for artists like Dennis that were in a very popular band and then went solo and their solo work did not catch on as much as their prior work. This kind of thing happens to many artists. Not to mention Dennis has always said that he didn't really want to be a solo artist and envisioned that Styx would regroup with Tommy at some point. He really didn't do much in supporting those solo releases. If memory serves, the solo shows that Tommy had lined up for his last solo album got cancelled due to lack of ticket sales.


Blah, blah, blah. Gowan can tour as a solo act and Dennis can't. Dennis tried for YEARS to do it, and couldn't. That is the way it is...regardless of your spin.


Sure Gowan can, as long as it is in Canada. Dennis' success in the music business overshadows Gowan's by a mile.


Correct, despite all of Dennis' success in the music business, he can't tour as a solo act...in any country. Yes, Gowan can.


I don't think it really matters to Dennis nor his fans that he performs his Styx material rather then his solo material. After all, he spent the majority of his career in Styx in the first place. As far as Gowan goes, the only places he can perform as a solo act is in Canada and maybe in the UK. The only way he has been able to perform in the U.S. is to join an act that was far bigger then his entire solo career singing songs thataren't even his. Even with that Gowan couldn't get a booking for a solo show in the U.S. even at your local bar.


Correct. Gowan can perform a solo tour performing solo songs and Dennis and his fans do not care enough about his solo songs and his solo career to allow for a very successful solo tour.

And, if nobody cared about this, you wouldn't be arguing about it.


I am happy to see Dennis perform no matter whether it his solo or Styx material. So for me it has nothing to do with having any preference of his solo or material he has done with Styx. I am sure that I am not the only one with that viewpoint. The only successful solo touring Gowan has done is in Canada, which isn't saying much. He never broke beyond that.


Correct. Gowan can tour in Canada as a solo act. Despite people like you who do not care what his set list is, Dennis can not tour as a solo act anywhere in the world.


And Gowan can't perform outside of Canada without doing someone else's material and using their brand recognition. Dennis never wanted to be a solo artist and it showed based on how little he did to promote it back in the day. He said he mainly did it to keep busy while Styx was on hiatus, in hopes that Tommy would rejoin Styx at some point. So, the fact that he did not have as much exposure as a solo artist isn't any surprise. I think Dennis would take the overall success he has had in the music business compared to Gowan's limited success that never went beyond Canada.


Correct. Dennis' overall success does not allow him to have a solo tour. And, Gowan's does.


Exactly, a solo career which never went beyond Canada, which in terms of the music business is minor success. As apposed to Dennis who co-founded a band that went on to multi-platinum success, the first band to have four of them in a row and is a band known the world over. If I had the choice I'd take Dennis level of success with a less successful solo career over Gowan's minor solo success. At least with Dennis performing his music of Styx shows it's material he was involved with making a success compared to Gowan who had be hired by another more successful act then his to have people know who he is.


Correct. Gowan, a now in a band known the world over, tours extensively with that band, and can tour as he wishes as a solo act in Canada. And, Dennis, despite all of his success, can only tour by hiring an entire replacement band so he can put on a tour each year with the music of his former band.


Right, even though Dennis may have to perform his Styx material over his solo music, Dennis has still has been more successful then Gowan will ever see in his career. Gowan without the Styx brand behind him hasn't got much. Regardless of who's backing Dennis up people are coming to see him, where as people coming to Styx shows aren't coming to see Gowan. Their coming to see Tommy and maybe some to see JY. Gowan is just a hired hand and will never be anything more then that, JY and TS will make certain of that. The point is that regardless of what level of success or no success Dennis has had at his solo material, he has made a bigger footprint in the music business then Gowan will ever see period. Gowan is not going to be able to branch out his solo material in the U.S. or world wide because of being an employee of the Styx organization. He's not going to record any new material with Styx since they have proven they don't have any interest in creating new music. So the long and short of it is Gowan will never be able to match the level of success that Dennis has had over his entire career. At the end of the day that is what it all comes down to.
User avatar
Boomchild
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3384
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Delaware

Re: Lawrence Gowan review

Postby pinkfloyd1973 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:10 pm

Monker wrote:
I'm sure you know that was a typo....Dennis does not perform here because Dennis doesn't sell tickets. I've said that in this forum repeatedly.

Nowadays, Styx is too small for the grandstand here...unless it was with the "special guests", as you cal it.

Dennis IS a "faux" Styx....the very reasons he calls it "...and the music of Styx".

I don't go see Dennis because he doesn't perform here and I'm not spending the money to go traveling about to see him, or any other band or performer.

The fact is that Dennis DOES NOT 'change it up' very often. It's the same old faux Styx show over and over again with a few 'special' concerts thrown in a few times per year. You make it sound like every show is different, or at least every tour...he just does not do that.



How would you know, you've never seen him....DERR :roll:
"So this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause."
User avatar
pinkfloyd1973
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1679
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:15 am
Location: Sweet Home Chicago

Re: Lawrence Gowan review

Postby pinkfloyd1973 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:13 pm

Monker wrote:
pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
Monker wrote: Correct. Gowan can perform a solo tour performing solo songs and Dennis and his fans do not care enough about his solo songs and his solo career to allow for a very successful solo tour.

And, if nobody cared about this, you wouldn't be arguing about it.





Oh, so it's Dennis' fans that are at fault that Gowan can't have a successful career here? You have a very faulty argument there, Gowan's just not that popular here. Coupled with the fact that he hasn't had any solo success here in the past, so he is virtually unknown except for those who know him in Styx (and you could probably use the same argument for Dennis too, except he had some minor solo hits here) :?


there are not enough fans of a solo DDY to make a tour of DDY's solo songs much of a success. If there were, he would not have to be a faux Styx band. TYHAT is my point.



Once again.....I made that point already, he hada few minor solo hits (and yes I know Toph, "Desert Moon" did hit the top 10). That's why he throws in a few solo songs in his concerts. And by the way, he bills it as Dennis AND THE MUSIC OF Styx :roll:
"So this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause."
User avatar
pinkfloyd1973
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1679
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:15 am
Location: Sweet Home Chicago

Postby Archetype » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:11 pm

This is one of the gayest fucking arguments I have ever read.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1854
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:06 am
Location: Passion's Killing Floor

Postby masque » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:25 pm

why would dennis not try to continue using the brand name he helped create and become famous for? of course he's gonna bill himself as dennis deyoung and the music of styx because the name styx was the company he helped form and got famous and rich for. he would be an idiot to not do that.

it's just like david gilmour said of pink floyd......he spent his whole adult life building a career playing and contributing to pink floyd the brand and he was not going to walk away from that brand he helped create to become a solo artist living in obscurity. and he was right to do so.

if back in the day styx had been the dennis deyoung band and created all of those songs then no problem....just be dennis deyoung but when you have spent your entire career building your talent and brand around a "brand name" then use it.
masque
8 Track
 
Posts: 741
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:17 am

Postby Boomchild » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:20 am

masque wrote:why would dennis not try to continue using the brand name he helped create and become famous for? of course he's gonna bill himself as dennis deyoung and the music of styx because the name styx was the company he helped form and got famous and rich for. he would be an idiot to not do that.

it's just like david gilmour said of pink floyd......he spent his whole adult life building a career playing and contributing to pink floyd the brand and he was not going to walk away from that brand he helped create to become a solo artist living in obscurity. and he was right to do so.

if back in the day styx had been the dennis deyoung band and created all of those songs then no problem....just be dennis deyoung but when you have spent your entire career building your talent and brand around a "brand name" then use it.


Very well put.
User avatar
Boomchild
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3384
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Delaware

Postby gr8dane » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:22 am

masque wrote:why would dennis not try to continue using the brand name he helped create and become famous for? of course he's gonna bill himself as dennis deyoung and the music of styx because the name styx was the company he helped form and got famous and rich for. he would be an idiot to not do that..


Ahh yes.Of course he needs to use the name Styx.
Using Dalmatians,Hunchbacks and Boomchild isn't exactly a draw.
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
User avatar
gr8dane
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2362
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 10:45 pm
Location: Zoltar 7

Postby Monker » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:25 am

gr8dane wrote:
masque wrote:why would dennis not try to continue using the brand name he helped create and become famous for? of course he's gonna bill himself as dennis deyoung and the music of styx because the name styx was the company he helped form and got famous and rich for. he would be an idiot to not do that..


Ahh yes.Of course he needs to use the name Styx.
Using Dalmatians,Hunchbacks and Boomchild isn't exactly a draw.


Or, 100yrs, or 10 On Broadway, or that other album between Boomchild and Desert Moon that is so forgettable that I forgot it's name.
User avatar
Monker
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 7015
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Postby Monker » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:34 am

masque wrote:why would dennis not try to continue using the brand name he helped create and become famous for? of course he's gonna bill himself as dennis deyoung and the music of styx because the name styx was the company he helped form and got famous and rich for. he would be an idiot to not do that.

it's just like david gilmour said of pink floyd......he spent his whole adult life building a career playing and contributing to pink floyd the brand and he was not going to walk away from that brand he helped create to become a solo artist living in obscurity. and he was right to do so.

if back in the day styx had been the dennis deyoung band and created all of those songs then no problem....just be dennis deyoung but when you have spent your entire career building your talent and brand around a "brand name" then use it.


Well, the simple fact is that Gilmour can tour solo anytime he wants to and sell a lot more tickets then either Dennis or Styx, or even Gowan. Funny, I even have a Gilmour solo concert on my DVR right now which was shown on HDNet.

So, you guys are basically all arguing that even though Dennis has been solo essentially since 1985 or so, after all that time, he is unable to build a solo fanbase and tour and instead must rely on his time with Styx. But, Gowan, did not have the good fortune to be in Styx during their best of times and could afford to build a fanbase to tour for in Canada...years later. That is just so ironic.

Good thing the P brothers were jamming that night or Dennis would have never been known at all...that is what you guys are arguing, not me.
User avatar
Monker
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 7015
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Postby Toph » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:38 am

Monker wrote:
gr8dane wrote:
masque wrote:why would dennis not try to continue using the brand name he helped create and become famous for? of course he's gonna bill himself as dennis deyoung and the music of styx because the name styx was the company he helped form and got famous and rich for. he would be an idiot to not do that..


Ahh yes.Of course he needs to use the name Styx.
Using Dalmatians,Hunchbacks and Boomchild isn't exactly a draw.


Or, 100yrs, or 10 On Broadway, or that other album between Boomchild and Desert Moon that is so forgettable that I forgot it's name.


Yeah it's not like he put out a Girls with guns, What If, Ambition, 7 Deadly Zens, or a Bluegrass album. Man the crowds will line up for those....
Toph
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2143
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:43 am
Location: Springfield, MA

Postby Toph » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:43 am

Monker wrote:
masque wrote:why would dennis not try to continue using the brand name he helped create and become famous for? of course he's gonna bill himself as dennis deyoung and the music of styx because the name styx was the company he helped form and got famous and rich for. he would be an idiot to not do that.

it's just like david gilmour said of pink floyd......he spent his whole adult life building a career playing and contributing to pink floyd the brand and he was not going to walk away from that brand he helped create to become a solo artist living in obscurity. and he was right to do so.

if back in the day styx had been the dennis deyoung band and created all of those songs then no problem....just be dennis deyoung but when you have spent your entire career building your talent and brand around a "brand name" then use it.


Well, the simple fact is that Gilmour can tour solo anytime he wants to and sell a lot more tickets then either Dennis or Styx, or even Gowan. Funny, I even have a Gilmour solo concert on my DVR right now which was shown on HDNet.

So, you guys are basically all arguing that even though Dennis has been solo essentially since 1985 or so, after all that time, he is unable to build a solo fanbase and tour and instead must rely on his time with Styx. But, Gowan, did not have the good fortune to be in Styx during their best of times and could afford to build a fanbase to tour for in Canada...years later. That is just so ironic.

Good thing the P brothers were jamming that night or Dennis would have never been known at all...that is what you guys are arguing, not me.


Might be the stupidest statement ever uttered in any forum anywhere.
Toph
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2143
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:43 am
Location: Springfield, MA

Postby Monker » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:56 am

Toph wrote:
Monker wrote:
masque wrote:why would dennis not try to continue using the brand name he helped create and become famous for? of course he's gonna bill himself as dennis deyoung and the music of styx because the name styx was the company he helped form and got famous and rich for. he would be an idiot to not do that.

it's just like david gilmour said of pink floyd......he spent his whole adult life building a career playing and contributing to pink floyd the brand and he was not going to walk away from that brand he helped create to become a solo artist living in obscurity. and he was right to do so.

if back in the day styx had been the dennis deyoung band and created all of those songs then no problem....just be dennis deyoung but when you have spent your entire career building your talent and brand around a "brand name" then use it.


Well, the simple fact is that Gilmour can tour solo anytime he wants to and sell a lot more tickets then either Dennis or Styx, or even Gowan. Funny, I even have a Gilmour solo concert on my DVR right now which was shown on HDNet.

So, you guys are basically all arguing that even though Dennis has been solo essentially since 1985 or so, after all that time, he is unable to build a solo fanbase and tour and instead must rely on his time with Styx. But, Gowan, did not have the good fortune to be in Styx during their best of times and could afford to build a fanbase to tour for in Canada...years later. That is just so ironic.

Good thing the P brothers were jamming that night or Dennis would have never been known at all...that is what you guys are arguing, not me.


Might be the stupidest statement ever uttered in any forum anywhere.


No, the stupidest statement ever made in a forum is when you went on a rant and told the entire forum, and Journey forum, to go fuck ourselves....and then you come back a couple months later.
User avatar
Monker
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 7015
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Postby Toph » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:07 am

Monker wrote:
Toph wrote:
Monker wrote:
masque wrote:why would dennis not try to continue using the brand name he helped create and become famous for? of course he's gonna bill himself as dennis deyoung and the music of styx because the name styx was the company he helped form and got famous and rich for. he would be an idiot to not do that.

it's just like david gilmour said of pink floyd......he spent his whole adult life building a career playing and contributing to pink floyd the brand and he was not going to walk away from that brand he helped create to become a solo artist living in obscurity. and he was right to do so.

if back in the day styx had been the dennis deyoung band and created all of those songs then no problem....just be dennis deyoung but when you have spent your entire career building your talent and brand around a "brand name" then use it.


Well, the simple fact is that Gilmour can tour solo anytime he wants to and sell a lot more tickets then either Dennis or Styx, or even Gowan. Funny, I even have a Gilmour solo concert on my DVR right now which was shown on HDNet.

So, you guys are basically all arguing that even though Dennis has been solo essentially since 1985 or so, after all that time, he is unable to build a solo fanbase and tour and instead must rely on his time with Styx. But, Gowan, did not have the good fortune to be in Styx during their best of times and could afford to build a fanbase to tour for in Canada...years later. That is just so ironic.

Good thing the P brothers were jamming that night or Dennis would have never been known at all...that is what you guys are arguing, not me.


Might be the stupidest statement ever uttered in any forum anywhere.


No, the stupidest statement ever made in a forum is when you went on a rant and told the entire forum, and Journey forum, to go fuck ourselves....and then you come back a couple months later.


Hey Monker, go fuck yourself..
Toph
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2143
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:43 am
Location: Springfield, MA

Postby pinkfloyd1973 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:18 am

gr8dane wrote:
masque wrote:why would dennis not try to continue using the brand name he helped create and become famous for? of course he's gonna bill himself as dennis deyoung and the music of styx because the name styx was the company he helped form and got famous and rich for. he would be an idiot to not do that..


Ahh yes.Of course he needs to use the name Styx.
Using Dalmatians,Hunchbacks and Boomchild isn't exactly a draw.



Even if he's not billed as Dennis DeYoung and the Music of Styx, he will always be associated with the band, damned if you do and damned if you don't :roll:
"So this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause."
User avatar
pinkfloyd1973
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1679
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:15 am
Location: Sweet Home Chicago

Postby pinkfloyd1973 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:20 am

Toph wrote:
Monker wrote:
Toph wrote:
Monker wrote:
masque wrote:why would dennis not try to continue using the brand name he helped create and become famous for? of course he's gonna bill himself as dennis deyoung and the music of styx because the name styx was the company he helped form and got famous and rich for. he would be an idiot to not do that.

it's just like david gilmour said of pink floyd......he spent his whole adult life building a career playing and contributing to pink floyd the brand and he was not going to walk away from that brand he helped create to become a solo artist living in obscurity. and he was right to do so.

if back in the day styx had been the dennis deyoung band and created all of those songs then no problem....just be dennis deyoung but when you have spent your entire career building your talent and brand around a "brand name" then use it.


Well, the simple fact is that Gilmour can tour solo anytime he wants to and sell a lot more tickets then either Dennis or Styx, or even Gowan. Funny, I even have a Gilmour solo concert on my DVR right now which was shown on HDNet.

So, you guys are basically all arguing that even though Dennis has been solo essentially since 1985 or so, after all that time, he is unable to build a solo fanbase and tour and instead must rely on his time with Styx. But, Gowan, did not have the good fortune to be in Styx during their best of times and could afford to build a fanbase to tour for in Canada...years later. That is just so ironic.

Good thing the P brothers were jamming that night or Dennis would have never been known at all...that is what you guys are arguing, not me.


Might be the stupidest statement ever uttered in any forum anywhere.


No, the stupidest statement ever made in a forum is when you went on a rant and told the entire forum, and Journey forum, to go fuck ourselves....and then you come back a couple months later.


Hey Monker, go fuck yourself..



Could you please take this love fest elsewhere?
"So this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause."
User avatar
pinkfloyd1973
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1679
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:15 am
Location: Sweet Home Chicago

Postby Monker » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:23 am

pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
gr8dane wrote:
masque wrote:why would dennis not try to continue using the brand name he helped create and become famous for? of course he's gonna bill himself as dennis deyoung and the music of styx because the name styx was the company he helped form and got famous and rich for. he would be an idiot to not do that..


Ahh yes.Of course he needs to use the name Styx.
Using Dalmatians,Hunchbacks and Boomchild isn't exactly a draw.



Even if he's not billed as Dennis DeYoung and the Music of Styx, he will always be associated with the band, damned if you do and damned if you don't :roll:
4

Correct. When someone like you, Toph, or Boom start critiquing Gowan's solo career and start the comparisons to Dennis, you are damned if you do it. And, you are damned if you don't because you have to admit that Gowan can tour in a way that Dennis can't.

So, you are much better off just going about telling people to go fuck themselves. It's just so much more effective.
User avatar
Monker
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 7015
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Postby pinkfloyd1973 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:28 am

Monker wrote:
masque wrote:why would dennis not try to continue using the brand name he helped create and become famous for? of course he's gonna bill himself as dennis deyoung and the music of styx because the name styx was the company he helped form and got famous and rich for. he would be an idiot to not do that.

it's just like david gilmour said of pink floyd......he spent his whole adult life building a career playing and contributing to pink floyd the brand and he was not going to walk away from that brand he helped create to become a solo artist living in obscurity. and he was right to do so.

if back in the day styx had been the dennis deyoung band and created all of those songs then no problem....just be dennis deyoung but when you have spent your entire career building your talent and brand around a "brand name" then use it.


Well, the simple fact is that Gilmour can tour solo anytime he wants to and sell a lot more tickets then either Dennis or Styx, or even Gowan. Funny, I even have a Gilmour solo concert on my DVR right now which was shown on HDNet.

So, you guys are basically all arguing that even though Dennis has been solo essentially since 1985 or so, after all that time, he is unable to build a solo fanbase and tour and instead must rely on his time with Styx. But, Gowan, did not have the good fortune to be in Styx during their best of times and could afford to build a fanbase to tour for in Canada...years later. That is just so ironic.

Good thing the P brothers were jamming that night or Dennis would have never been known at all...that is what you guys are arguing, not me.




Apples and oranges, Gilmour and Pink Floyd have a much larger fan base than Styx and is almost an entire genre different than them. Just like your argument with Gowan and Dennis concerning their solo careers, Gowan started out as a solo artist in Canada, Dennis started as a member of Styx before he became a solo artist, and THEN got back with Styx before he became a solo artist for good. As for Gowan, you're talking about Canada. This is the same country that gave us Celine Dion :shock:
"So this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause."
User avatar
pinkfloyd1973
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1679
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:15 am
Location: Sweet Home Chicago

Postby pinkfloyd1973 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:33 am

Monker wrote:
pinkfloyd1973 wrote:

Even if he's not billed as Dennis DeYoung and the Music of Styx, he will always be associated with the band, damned if you do and damned if you don't :roll:
4

Correct. When someone like you, Toph, or Boom start critiquing Gowan's solo career and start the comparisons to Dennis, you are damned if you do it. And, you are damned if you don't because you have to admit that Gowan can tour in a way that Dennis can't.

So, you are much better off just going about telling people to go fuck themselves. It's just so much more effective.



I wouldn't go to that extreme, Gowan can have Canada. No one outside his country know who he is except for people who still go see Styx
"So this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause."
User avatar
pinkfloyd1973
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1679
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:15 am
Location: Sweet Home Chicago

Postby Monker » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:02 pm

pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
Monker wrote:
masque wrote:why would dennis not try to continue using the brand name he helped create and become famous for? of course he's gonna bill himself as dennis deyoung and the music of styx because the name styx was the company he helped form and got famous and rich for. he would be an idiot to not do that.

it's just like david gilmour said of pink floyd......he spent his whole adult life building a career playing and contributing to pink floyd the brand and he was not going to walk away from that brand he helped create to become a solo artist living in obscurity. and he was right to do so.

if back in the day styx had been the dennis deyoung band and created all of those songs then no problem....just be dennis deyoung but when you have spent your entire career building your talent and brand around a "brand name" then use it.


Well, the simple fact is that Gilmour can tour solo anytime he wants to and sell a lot more tickets then either Dennis or Styx, or even Gowan. Funny, I even have a Gilmour solo concert on my DVR right now which was shown on HDNet.

So, you guys are basically all arguing that even though Dennis has been solo essentially since 1985 or so, after all that time, he is unable to build a solo fanbase and tour and instead must rely on his time with Styx. But, Gowan, did not have the good fortune to be in Styx during their best of times and could afford to build a fanbase to tour for in Canada...years later. That is just so ironic.

Good thing the P brothers were jamming that night or Dennis would have never been known at all...that is what you guys are arguing, not me.




Apples and oranges, Gilmour and Pink Floyd have a much larger fan base than Styx and is almost an entire genre different than them. Just like your argument with Gowan and Dennis concerning their solo careers, Gowan started out as a solo artist in Canada, Dennis started as a member of Styx before he became a solo artist, and THEN got back with Styx before he became a solo artist for good. As for Gowan, you're talking about Canada. This is the same country that gave us Celine Dion :shock:

YOU are now arguing:

Pink Floyd and Styx were not Progressive rock.
A band that was voted the most popular band in America, the first to have five platinum albums in a row, is really just nothing special compared to Pink Floyd
The fact that 100yrs went gold in Canada means nothing...because, hey, it's Canada and anything from Canada is irrelevant.

Therefore, Styx did not have a large enough fan base in 1985 to carry over to Dennis' solo career...And, according to some here, Dennis was responsible for all of that success...and yet he couldn't translate all of this into a solo career to tour with.

But, without the benefit of any of the above, Gowan can still tour solo.
User avatar
Monker
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 7015
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Postby Toph » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:54 pm

Monker wrote:
pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
Monker wrote:
masque wrote:why would dennis not try to continue using the brand name he helped create and become famous for? of course he's gonna bill himself as dennis deyoung and the music of styx because the name styx was the company he helped form and got famous and rich for. he would be an idiot to not do that.

it's just like david gilmour said of pink floyd......he spent his whole adult life building a career playing and contributing to pink floyd the brand and he was not going to walk away from that brand he helped create to become a solo artist living in obscurity. and he was right to do so.

if back in the day styx had been the dennis deyoung band and created all of those songs then no problem....just be dennis deyoung but when you have spent your entire career building your talent and brand around a "brand name" then use it.


Well, the simple fact is that Gilmour can tour solo anytime he wants to and sell a lot more tickets then either Dennis or Styx, or even Gowan. Funny, I even have a Gilmour solo concert on my DVR right now which was shown on HDNet.

So, you guys are basically all arguing that even though Dennis has been solo essentially since 1985 or so, after all that time, he is unable to build a solo fanbase and tour and instead must rely on his time with Styx. But, Gowan, did not have the good fortune to be in Styx during their best of times and could afford to build a fanbase to tour for in Canada...years later. That is just so ironic.

Good thing the P brothers were jamming that night or Dennis would have never been known at all...that is what you guys are arguing, not me.




Apples and oranges, Gilmour and Pink Floyd have a much larger fan base than Styx and is almost an entire genre different than them. Just like your argument with Gowan and Dennis concerning their solo careers, Gowan started out as a solo artist in Canada, Dennis started as a member of Styx before he became a solo artist, and THEN got back with Styx before he became a solo artist for good. As for Gowan, you're talking about Canada. This is the same country that gave us Celine Dion :shock:

YOU are now arguing:

Pink Floyd and Styx were not Progressive rock.
A band that was voted the most popular band in America, the first to have five platinum albums in a row, is really just nothing special compared to Pink Floyd
The fact that 100yrs went gold in Canada means nothing...because, hey, it's Canada and anything from Canada is irrelevant.

Therefore, Styx did not have a large enough fan base in 1985 to carry over to Dennis' solo career...And, according to some here, Dennis was responsible for all of that success...and yet he couldn't translate all of this into a solo career to tour with.

But, without the benefit of any of the above, Gowan can still tour solo.


In a place that is basically a suburb of Detroit....Give it up loser.
Toph
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2143
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:43 am
Location: Springfield, MA

Postby Monker » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:50 pm

Toph wrote:
Monker wrote:
pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
Monker wrote:
masque wrote:why would dennis not try to continue using the brand name he helped create and become famous for? of course he's gonna bill himself as dennis deyoung and the music of styx because the name styx was the company he helped form and got famous and rich for. he would be an idiot to not do that.

it's just like david gilmour said of pink floyd......he spent his whole adult life building a career playing and contributing to pink floyd the brand and he was not going to walk away from that brand he helped create to become a solo artist living in obscurity. and he was right to do so.

if back in the day styx had been the dennis deyoung band and created all of those songs then no problem....just be dennis deyoung but when you have spent your entire career building your talent and brand around a "brand name" then use it.


Well, the simple fact is that Gilmour can tour solo anytime he wants to and sell a lot more tickets then either Dennis or Styx, or even Gowan. Funny, I even have a Gilmour solo concert on my DVR right now which was shown on HDNet.

So, you guys are basically all arguing that even though Dennis has been solo essentially since 1985 or so, after all that time, he is unable to build a solo fanbase and tour and instead must rely on his time with Styx. But, Gowan, did not have the good fortune to be in Styx during their best of times and could afford to build a fanbase to tour for in Canada...years later. That is just so ironic.

Good thing the P brothers were jamming that night or Dennis would have never been known at all...that is what you guys are arguing, not me.




Apples and oranges, Gilmour and Pink Floyd have a much larger fan base than Styx and is almost an entire genre different than them. Just like your argument with Gowan and Dennis concerning their solo careers, Gowan started out as a solo artist in Canada, Dennis started as a member of Styx before he became a solo artist, and THEN got back with Styx before he became a solo artist for good. As for Gowan, you're talking about Canada. This is the same country that gave us Celine Dion :shock:

YOU are now arguing:

Pink Floyd and Styx were not Progressive rock.
A band that was voted the most popular band in America, the first to have five platinum albums in a row, is really just nothing special compared to Pink Floyd
The fact that 100yrs went gold in Canada means nothing...because, hey, it's Canada and anything from Canada is irrelevant.

Therefore, Styx did not have a large enough fan base in 1985 to carry over to Dennis' solo career...And, according to some here, Dennis was responsible for all of that success...and yet he couldn't translate all of this into a solo career to tour with.

But, without the benefit of any of the above, Gowan can still tour solo.


In a place that is basically a suburb of Detroit....Give it up loser.


LOL...so what you are saying is a Dennis' solo tour could not even tour a suburb of Detroit.

Too funny. Even more funny since it's actually probably true!
User avatar
Monker
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 7015
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Postby Boomchild » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:02 pm

pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
Monker wrote:
pinkfloyd1973 wrote:

Even if he's not billed as Dennis DeYoung and the Music of Styx, he will always be associated with the band, damned if you do and damned if you don't :roll:
4

Correct. When someone like you, Toph, or Boom start critiquing Gowan's solo career and start the comparisons to Dennis, you are damned if you do it. And, you are damned if you don't because you have to admit that Gowan can tour in a way that Dennis can't.

So, you are much better off just going about telling people to go fuck themselves. It's just so much more effective.



I wouldn't go to that extreme, Gowan can have Canada. No one outside his country know who he is except for people who still go see Styx


And then forget about him three days after the concert. 8)
User avatar
Boomchild
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3384
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Delaware

Postby Boomchild » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:07 pm

Monker wrote:
masque wrote:Good thing the P brothers were jamming that night or Dennis would have never been known at all...that is what you guys are arguing, not me.


Right, those P brothers were the driving, creative force in the band. Even without Dennis, JY and Tommy they would have made it big. It's more like if Dennis hadn't come along the P brothers would more then likely still be playing in that same house. :roll:
User avatar
Boomchild
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3384
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Delaware

Postby pinkfloyd1973 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:50 pm

Monker wrote:
pinkfloyd1973 wrote:YOU are now arguing:

Pink Floyd and Styx were not Progressive rock.
A band that was voted the most popular band in America, the first to have five platinum albums in a row, is really just nothing special compared to Pink Floyd
The fact that 100yrs went gold in Canada means nothing...because, hey, it's Canada and anything from Canada is irrelevant.

Therefore, Styx did not have a large enough fan base in 1985 to carry over to Dennis' solo career...And, according to some here, Dennis was responsible for all of that success...and yet he couldn't translate all of this into a solo career to tour with.

But, without the benefit of any of the above, Gowan can still tour solo.



Umm, NO. Styx was only progressive early on and is a mix of other genres as well, Pink Floyd is more Progressive/Psychedelic rock, and a way larger fan base. Not to mention Pink Floyd had an album (Dark Side Of The Moon) that has been on and off the Billboard charts since it came out almost forty years ago (WOW, has it really been that long?!?) And as for Dennis' solo career, just look at JY's and Tommy's solo efforts. Just being in Styx doesn't mean it will translate into a successful solo career.
"So this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause."
User avatar
pinkfloyd1973
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1679
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:15 am
Location: Sweet Home Chicago

PreviousNext

Return to Styx

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest