How good is Somewhere In California.......

This Boy Needs To Rock

Moderator: Andrew

How good is Somewhere In California.......

Postby Real rock fan » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:43 am

I`m loving this album, had the pleasure of hearing four of the tracks live in London last week.

Andrew`s 100% review will be criticised, what does everyone else think?

I don`t go in for all that scoring nonsense but a good/great review is always welcome and that review is a very good/accurate one in my opinion.

A great return for the mighty Night Ranger!
Last edited by Real rock fan on Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Real rock fan
45 RPM

Re: How good is Somewhere In California.......

Postby domino65 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:12 pm

Real rock fan wrote:I`m loving this album, had the pleaseure of hearing four of the tracks live in London last week.

Andrew`s 100% review will be criticised, what does everyone else think?

I don`t go in for all that scoring nonsense but a good/great review is always welcome and that review is a very good/accurate one in my opinion.

A great return for the mighty Night Ranger!

Well Andrew is always a little too good with NR reviews. Anyway i'm ansious to receive my copy and give you mine. For me NR masterpiece at the moment remain Man In Motion and i will give it a 95%. From the last three albums Neverland was the best (90) follow by Hole in the sun (85) and Seven (80). I would really happy if the new one top Neverland.
The bitch bends over and i forget my name!
domino65
Radio Waves

Postby Real rock fan » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:57 am

I`ve been playing Man In Motion over the past couple of days, still sounds great.

I like everything after but always hard to beat the 80`s albums! :)

Look forward to your opinion on it 8)
Real rock fan
45 RPM

Postby BBKlima » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:24 am

I give Somewhere in California an 100% rating as well! Seriously, it is that good. Only one track that am "eh" about, and that is Live For Today. Still a good song, just not as good as the other 10 tracks. Bye Bye Baby (Not Tonight) could be the bands first radio hit since the 80s. That song is seriously awesome.

This album is worth a buy. Get it on MP3 if you can't wait for the CD. I have been jamming this since it arrived last week!
BBKlima
Radio Waves

Postby sniper16 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:37 am

while i dont think this is a masterpiece to get a 100.

it is a solid record, i dont know yet if these songs will overpower the stuff from the first 3 as favorites
but i do enjoy it so far and would give it a 85 good songs, solid recording, and very close to classic sound
sniper16
8 Track

Postby RockInDetroit » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:19 am

I am going to be slow to offer an opinion. Still digesting it.

One thing I noticed is that Growin Up In California kinda reminds me of Sign Of The Times.
RockInDetroit
LP

Postby RedWingFan » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:53 am

"Follow Your Heart" is a GREAT driving song. Love firing through the gears to that song. :D
Seven Wishes wrote:"Abysmal? He's the most proactive President since Clinton, and he's bringing much-needed change for the better to a nation that has been tyrannized by the worst President since Hoover."- 7 Wishes on Pres. Obama
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape

Amazing album from NR!

Postby mrsromek » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:38 am

I agree that this album is phenomenal. A great listen all the way through, with no fillers. I don't get into the ratings and all that either, but if you are a fan, get this album. Got mine via the 'bay for like $9.

Also, I'm a big fan of the new guy on Keys, Eric Levy. We not only went to the same HS, but were in the same graduating class ('92). Nice to see him out rockin!
mrsromek
45 RPM

Postby Aaron » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:07 am

Somewhere in California is well deserving of the 100 Mac gave it. The cd is the best record I've heard in years. 4 bars into Growin Up in California and you know it's Night Ranger. And it doesn't stop there, it rocks hard and every song is good, no filler here. Time of Our Lives is a brillant ballad with layered vocals that will give you goose bumps.

This record simply blows Journey's (my fav band) Eclipse out of the water. I'm not sure where the 100 for Eclipse came from, but this record is well deserving. There isn't a state of grace, moment of grace, or circle of life bs lyrics on this record. It's straight forward rock and roll. There isn't any detuned, smelling the dogs's backside by trying to sound "modern" by Gillis either like you heard from Schon on Eclipse. The record is excellent, period. Kelly and Jack sound as good as ever vocally. The vocals are great because they are sang by excellent vocalists. Thank you to NR for being true to yourself while not trying to sound modern or become something your not. The current cover bands out there should very well be scared of NR live. I don't expect any half step down crap either. Well done NR. I'm looking forward to seeing you in Indy.
Taking life a quarter mile at a time .... [img]
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Postby domino65 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:42 am

Real rock fan wrote:I`ve been playing Man In Motion over the past couple of days, still sounds great.

I like everything after but always hard to beat the 80`s albums! :)

Look forward to your opinion on it 8)

ok, cd is really good, better than HITS and perhaps better than Neverland. But it's not at the same level as Man In Motion. Best track "Lay it on me" and the ballad "Time of our lives".
Rating: 90.
domino65
Radio Waves

My take

Postby RockInDetroit » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:00 am

First let me say, I really like the cd. It’s their best effort in years. Reminds me of a more raw Man In Motion. I will not go back as far as some others and say the cd is like Midnight Madness or Dawn Patrol. It’s more in that direction than anything since the reunion. It is still more like Hole In The Sun than those two cds…and that aint all bad as I liked Hole In the Sun more than others. This cd is more solid from start to finish than HITS, but both I felt had the hooks that the previous cd lacked.

Like I said this cd is more raw probably because the guys produced it themselves. Let me use Bye Bye Baby as the example. Seems the vocals sometimes are more shouting than singing. The earlier cds it would have been more polished. But then I think, it’s good with the shouting. I just think what keeps that song from being a “hit” (or being Midnight Madness) besides the obvious things is that it could be a little more polished.

That is kinda my feel about the cd, I think the guys have unleashed themselves..which has it’s plus’s and minus’s. Still I love the cd. So to me this cd is not perfect but honestly it’s better than I could have hoped.
RockInDetroit
LP

Re: My take

Postby BBKlima » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:41 pm

RockInDetroit wrote:First let me say, I really like the cd. It’s their best effort in years. Reminds me of a more raw Man In Motion. I will not go back as far as some others and say the cd is like Midnight Madness or Dawn Patrol. It’s more in that direction than anything since the reunion. It is still more like Hole In The Sun than those two cds…and that aint all bad as I liked Hole In the Sun more than others. This cd is more solid from start to finish than HITS, but both I felt had the hooks that the previous cd lacked.

Like I said this cd is more raw probably because the guys produced it themselves. Let me use Bye Bye Baby as the example. Seems the vocals sometimes are more shouting than singing. The earlier cds it would have been more polished. But then I think, it’s good with the shouting. I just think what keeps that song from being a “hit” (or being Midnight Madness) besides the obvious things is that it could be a little more polished.

That is kinda my feel about the cd, I think the guys have unleashed themselves..which has it’s plus’s and minus’s. Still I love the cd. So to me this cd is not perfect but honestly it’s better than I could have hoped.

Interesting take RID. One of the reasons I like your take is that I've always felt that much of the mid-late 80s metal lost its edge because of the "polish" bands began to put into their production. Motley Crue is a perfect example. Too Fast For Love has a very raw sound to it. Shout At The Devil was a little more polished, but still had a rawness to it. By time Theatre of Pain rolled around, the record company started sinking more money into the production. While the result is a more finished sound, you lose some of that edginess that attracted people to begin with.

Night Ranger in the 80s was a multi-personality band. On record they had these perfectly polished, produced, radio-friendly songs. Live they were raw, in your face, wall of guitar, and thundering drums. Since Man In Motion, I think they've been trying to capture that live personality in recording. And I personally think it has become much more heartfelt, sincere recording. I love the Dawn Patrol through Big Life records. BL is in many ways my favorite of them all. But I have loved what the band has been doing from MiM forward too.
BBKlima
Radio Waves

Postby RockInDetroit » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:53 pm

The new cd definitely has a "live" feel to it. I said I liked it, but really I like Hole In the Sun also. I listened to HITS today, and many rip that cd, but the hooks are there and it is a very quality cd. Hardly any filler on that cd. I was not a fan of Seven (there worst cd). And far as Neverland I like some key tracks. I think I would categorize Somewhere In California as half way between Hole In The Sun and Man In Motion.

I think, a good example that shows the change in the band. Andrew said that Bye Bye Baby was a modern version of Don't Start Thinking I'm Alone Tonight. Listen to both tracks side by side. One is studio polished the other is raw live sounding. You get a very raw sounding cd with California.
RockInDetroit
LP

Postby domino65 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:14 am

RockInDetroit wrote:The new cd definitely has a "live" feel to it. I said I liked it, but really I like Hole In the Sun also. I listened to HITS today, and many rip that cd, but the hooks are there and it is a very quality cd. Hardly any filler on that cd. I was not a fan of Seven (there worst cd). And far as Neverland I like some key tracks. I think I would categorize Somewhere In California as half way between Hole In The Sun and Man In Motion.

I think, a good example that shows the change in the band. Andrew said that Bye Bye Baby was a modern version of Don't Start Thinking I'm Alone Tonight. Listen to both tracks side by side. One is studio polished the other is raw live sounding. You get a very raw sounding cd with California.

i agree regarding the similarity between Somewhere and MIM.
domino65
Radio Waves

Postby cittadeeno23 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:11 am

I'm loving this record! I like "Hole in the Sun" from 2007 but this CD kicks ass! Track 2 (Lay it on me) is my favorite so far.
I hope after the summer they brake off from the triple-bill tour they are on and play smaller clubs as the headliner. I want 2 hours of them and not just 45 minutes as an opener to Journey/Foreigner. I have no interest in either of those 2 bands without Lou Gramm or Steve Perry.
cittadeeno23
LP

Postby Aaron » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:25 pm

+1

cittadeeno23 wrote:I'm loving this record! I like "Hole in the Sun" from 2007 but this CD kicks ass! Track 2 (Lay it on me) is my favorite so far.
I hope after the summer they brake off from the triple-bill tour they are on and play smaller clubs as the headliner. I want 2 hours of them and not just 45 minutes as an opener to Journey/Foreigner. I have no interest in either of those 2 bands without Lou Gramm or Steve Perry.
Taking life a quarter mile at a time .... [img]
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Postby RockInDetroit » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:07 pm

cittadeeno23 wrote:I'm loving this record! I like "Hole in the Sun" from 2007 but this CD kicks ass! Track 2 (Lay it on me) is my favorite so far.

I agree also. It was a nice gig for NR, to get some extra exposure, but as a true fan I did not want to spend that kinda money to see a 45 minute show sitting on the lawn at an extra crowded venue....to see them open for two bands that they are much better than. It's one summer so I can live with it, but next summer I want my festival shows back...or club shows.
RockInDetroit
LP

Postby Michigan Girl » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:09 am

Aaron wrote:Somewhere in California is well deserving of the 100 Mac gave it. The cd is the best record I've heard in years. 4 bars into Growin Up in California and you know it's Night Ranger. And it doesn't stop there, it rocks hard and every song is good, no filler here. Time of Our Lives is a brillant ballad with layered vocals that will give you goose bumps.This record simply blows Journey's (my fav band) Eclipse out of the water. I'm not sure where the 100 for Eclipse came from, but this record is well deserving. There isn't a state of grace, moment of grace, or circle of life bs lyrics on this record. It's straight forward rock and roll. There isn't any detuned, smelling the dogs's backside by trying to sound "modern" by Gillis either like you heard from Schon on Eclipse. The record is excellent, period. Kelly and Jack sound as good as ever vocally. The vocals are great because they are sang by excellent vocalists. Thank you to NR for being true to yourself while not trying to sound modern or become something your not. The current cover bands out there should very well be scared of NR live. I don't expect any half step down crap either. Well done NR. I'm looking forward to seeing you in Indy.
Absolutely agree ^^^^ ...I love this cd and
Time Of Our Lives is amazing ...my fav!! :wink:
Michigan Girl
MP3

Postby Michigan Girl » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:27 am

RockInDetroit wrote:

I agree also. It was a nice gig for NR, to get some extra exposure, but as a true fan I did not want to spend that kinda money to see a 45 minute show sitting on the lawn at an extra crowded venue....to see them open for two bands that they are much better than. It's one summer so I can live with it, but next summer I want my festival shows back...or club shows.
Journey and/or their management are/is brilliant in
scheduling the acts they do ...it's what keeps me coming ...
Heart (The highlight of the'08 tour), CT, NR(the highlight
of the '09 tour), Foreigner (I am anxious to hear the
new guy ...heard good things).
Obviously, noone will ever take the places of SP or LG. :cry: :wink:
Michigan Girl
MP3

Postby RedWingFan » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:48 am

Michigan Girl wrote:
RockInDetroit wrote:

Journey and/or their management are/is brilliant in
scheduling the acts they do ...it's what keeps me coming ...
Heart (The highlight of the'08 tour), CT, NR(the highlight
of the '09 tour), Foreigner (I am anxious to hear the
new guy ...heard good things).
Obviously, noone will ever take the places of SP or LG. :cry: :wink:

You're going to love Kelly Hansen. Saw him w/ Foreigner do an acoustic show here a few months back. Plus I have the "Rockin' at the Ryman" show recorded on my DVR that I can't bring myself to delete. The guy is a great front man. :)
Seven Wishes wrote:"Abysmal? He's the most proactive President since Clinton, and he's bringing much-needed change for the better to a nation that has been tyrannized by the worst President since Hoover."- 7 Wishes on Pres. Obama
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape

Postby RockInDetroit » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:55 pm

Night Ranger played in Detroit last night and I did not go. This is why (from a review of the tour online)..............

Night Ranger, the band who has maintained their frontman and most of their band members for the past 30 years was the opening band, and special guest for Journey and Foreigner. Unfortunately, they only
played for a half hour to the surprise and disappointment of many fans. “That is kind of a rip off,” one fan said, thinking the band would have played longer. The band didn't get the proper respect they might
have if they were headlining a show, because fans were still making their way through the entrance and they were reaching their peak by singing their biggest hit “Sister Christian.” For their closing song,
Night Ranger raised two American Flags as they ended with “(You Can Still) Rock In America.”

And another review......

Night Ranger started things off, blistering through a 35-minute set that seemed way too short in comparison to the band’s available catalog. Such, however, is the fate of drawing the short straw on a multi-act tour. Still, it seems like the production could find a way to give the Northern California-based band another 10-15 minutes on stage.

Night Ranger did take advantage of the time it had, however, as original members Jack Blades (bass and vocals), Kelly Keagy (drums and vocals) and Brad Gillis (guitars) frenetically led the band through well-known numbers like “Sing Me Away,” “When You Close Your Eyes,” “Don’t Tell Me You Love Me,” “Sister Christian” and the anthemic “(You Can Still) Rock in America.” The band even found room for “Coming of Age,” a hit by Damn Yankees, the early 1990s supergroup Blades was a part of during a hiatus from Night Ranger.

One bonus for Night Ranger was it was the only band on the bill that has its original lead vocal lineup intact, with Blades and Keagy serving as the group’s only lead vocal tandem from the beginning. Joel Hoekstra (guitars) and Eric Levy (keyboards) round out the current lineup.

Set list: Lay It On Me | Sing Me Away | Coming of Age | When You Close Your Eyes | Don’t Tell Me You Love Me | Sister Christian | (You Can Still) Rock in America

Continue reading on Examiner.com Concert Review: Night Ranger, July 24, 2011 Phoenix, Arizona - Mesa Classic Rock Music | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/classic-rock-mu ... z1TnFvo6W3

Read more: http://www.heraldextra.com/entertainmen ... z1TmlKqWaP
RockInDetroit
LP

Postby RedWingFan » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:11 am

RockInDetroit wrote:Night Ranger played in Detroit last night and I did not go. This is why (from a review of the tour online)..............

I was at the show last night. They took the stage @ 6:45 and played til 7:30. The setlist was the same except they played "High Enough" instead of "Coming of Age". The show would have been much better if Journey would give up 15 minutes to Night Ranger. Don't expect Neil to do that though. Douche. :lol:
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Lionheart » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:01 am

I LIKE IT
Lionheart
Radio Waves

Postby swwskj » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:17 am

I was pulled into Night Ranger by my wife. She was actually a fan from back in the day and they are one of the few bands that we both like.

When the Journey/Foreigner/Night Ranger tour was announced last year I bit the bullet and bought the meet and greet tickets....Great Choice! I posted tthe 7th row pics last year on Facebook!

I have since bought all but 2 NR albums. Somewhere in California is EASILY the BEST one. I'd be happy with a couple strong songs, but this is one that stays in the player with no skips. Time of Our Lives is the best ballad they EVER did. The rest of the album is amazing. And this is without the radio biasing my once teenage mind.
swwskj
LP

Return to Night Ranger / Damn Yankees