Transition...

All things Toto

Moderator: Andrew

Transition...

Postby G.I.Jim » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:12 am

anyone else looking forward to the release? I just heard the clips yesterday and I think it sounds pretty awesome! Very Toto"ish" and I think I'll like it better than his last two releases! Curious to hear the songs in their entirety. :D
The artist formerly known as Jim. :-)
G.I.Jim
MP3

Postby WalrusOct9 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:54 am

Haven't checked out the samples yet, waiting till I can hear at least a full song somewhere. But always excited for anything new from Luke. Glad he's been doing the song-oriented stuff the last few years, there aren't many people doing that sort of thing with that level of musicianship anymore.
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby majik » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:04 pm

Pre ordered it, hope to have next week. :D
majik
LP

Postby yulog » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:54 am

Its pretty good, i liked 5 of the 9 songs but it didnt have that killer 1 or 2 songs that i couldn't stop playing over and over like on the last 2 cds
yulog
Stereo LP

Postby Ehwmatt » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:02 pm

yulog wrote:Its pretty good, i liked 5 of the 9 songs but it didnt have that killer 1 or 2 songs that i couldn't stop playing over and over like on the last 2 cds

What were your killer tracks on th last two? It's slow, but The Letting Go always was killer for me. I also like New World. The last cd wasn't as memorable. Not bad by any means, but just not as memorable
Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby yulog » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:22 am

Ehwmatt wrote:
yulog wrote:Its pretty good, i liked 5 of the 9 songs but it didnt have that killer 1 or 2 songs that i couldn't stop playing over and over like on the last 2 cds

What were your killer tracks on th last two? It's slow, but The Letting Go always was killer for me. I also like New World. The last cd wasn't as memorable. Not bad by any means, but just not as memorable

I am, the letting go
on my way home, watching my world...........the letting go is the best of the 4 by far
yulog
Stereo LP

Postby Sundet » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:19 pm

I think there are quite a few gems on both ECT and AWTEW. ECT has the excellent title track as well as The Letting Go (as mentioned above), and I also think Tell Me What You Want is great with some ELO and Floyd influences in there. Icebound I think is also an overlooked gem. As for AWTEW, I think Darkness is absolutely terrific, as is You'll Remember. Those two are instantly memorable and are among my 40 most played tracks in iTunes. That being said, there were a few throwaway pieces on AWTEW though.

I'm getting used to Transition as I write and think it's overall more solid than the last one. But I agree that there are not necessarily any particular standouts on first listen, save for Right the Wrong. This doesnt have to be a bad sign though. Some of my favourite records have been slow growers. It took me years to appreciate 3rd Matinees Meanwhile, for example, while Logh's fantastic North album only clicked after a few years despite instant standout tracks such as Death to My Hometown and Saturday Nightmares.
Sundet
Ol' 78

Postby WalrusOct9 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:45 am

"Last Man Standing" & "Do I Stand Alone" are the two standouts to me, so far.
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby G.I.Jim » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:14 pm

I think I jumped the gun basing my opinion on the samples. I've listened to the entire album 3 times or more, and I'm just not feeling it. :( I want to like it, but I don't see this one growing on me. Luke... PLEASE get back with the guys and do a proper Toto album. :(
G.I.Jim
MP3

Postby JohnH » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:45 am

Ehwmatt wrote:

I finally got into the last one but what holds it back is , the drumming simply couldn't come close to Abe jr on ECT. I'm glad to see there are more snare cracking drummers on the new one. The sound of the drums on the last one was also not as good.
JohnH
8 Track

Postby Ehwmatt » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:14 pm

yulog wrote:
Ehwmatt wrote:

I am, the letting go
on my way home, watching my world...........the letting go is the best of the 4 by far

I Am is great. I always thought that song needed an extra verse... It ends too soon. Very cool sounding song though from the neat acoustic riff to the atmospheric keyboards
Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby WalrusOct9 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:57 am

JohnH wrote:
Ehwmatt wrote:I finally got into the last one but what holds it back is , the drumming simply couldn't come close to Abe jr on ECT. I'm glad to see there are more snare cracking drummers on the new one. The sound of the drums on the last one was also not as good.

I wouldn't disagree. Abe Jr. just adds so much to any recording he's involved with. Love that guy, and this coming from a big fan of Ringo's drumming.
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby majik » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:59 pm

I really got into AWTEW but Transition is disappointing, some very average tracks and the better tracks are not mixed with enough bite in the guitar or vocal department. Its also too short at just over 45 mins, could have done without Smile wtf. Polite comes to mind.
majik
LP

Postby JohnH » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:05 pm

I'm starting to enjoy Transition but I agree with you Majik. Where's the wild and crazy Luke- from Candyman , New World, the one that engaged Steve Morse in a gun battle playing 8000 notes a minute at Guitar Center Holywood in 2009 or the one from Smell Yourself on Los Lobotomys or Jake to the Bone or the live version of On the Run , or Taint your world or any of the rocking moments of FIB? Please come back . I do like the album though.
JohnH
8 Track

Postby St.George » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:24 am

Well,

Before the album came out I was really enthusiastic with the single (which I think it's the best song in the album, along with the title track). But when I received my CD, after a few listens, I can say it's not growing on me at all. In fact, I stopped listening to it. And what is worse, I don't really feel like to. And that never happened to me with a new Steve Lukather album :?

I have to agree with the comments saying that the album contains pretty average tracks. The chorus on "Once Again" or "Last Man Standing" are absolutely lame (although the latter has a very good verse IMO). And "Smile" is just a filler. And the rest is just "listenable", but nothing memorable at all.

I second that TOTO need to solve their legal issues ASAP and release a new album with the current line-up. The fans deserve it. And I'm sure they would enjoy it, as they seem completely at ease and more comfortable than ever before.
St.George
Ol' 78

Postby DracIsBack » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:12 am

I quite like the album myself. Couldn't get into EVER CHANGING TIMES as much, but like this a lot more
DracIsBack
LP

Postby majik » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:55 pm

I have read a few reviews of Transition and while its not seen as a classic every review is written without any of the negatives mentioned already, is it politically incorrect to say its not up to par and why. If Luke were to read and believe these reviews I'll be expecting more of the same for the next album. Grow some and tell it likes it is, I expect better from my favourite guitarist/musician. The reviewing in general is as bland as the albums reviewed these days, if they were to push these top quality musicians for better music may not be in the state its in today.

That just had to come out:)

I agree, we need TOTO to sort it out and I'd love to have an album of all new tracks but with a difference.... performed live in front of a live audience that includes yours truly, fresh music recorded live and put out on CD and then DVD.
majik
LP

Postby JohnH » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:37 pm

I just want some flashes of spark and fire and over the topness. We know Luke can do it.
JohnH
8 Track

Postby WalrusOct9 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:47 am

JohnH wrote:I just want some flashes of spark and fire and over the topness. We know Luke can do it.

I guarantee when he has some downtime they'll be another El Grupo-type thing. It's one of my favorite things about the guy that he can do great songwriting-driven albums and full on jam/shred stuff as well, depending on what he's feeling at any given time.

I'm enjoying the album, not sure where it ranks vs. AWTEW, but it's definitely from the heart, and not just "product," which is refreshing.
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Re: Transition...

Postby r@y » Wed May 15, 2013 4:21 pm

94% rating by Andrew on his review of Transition! :D

My favourite tracks are Do I Stand Alone, Right the Wrong, Once Again....and....Smile. Yeah, I know most don't really care for this song, but hey, its a classic and Luke's take on it is a beauty nevertheless.

Right The Wrong has a great solo and a really stupid wicked outro too !

Once Again is just a mellow, sad, sad song...Luke with his heart on his sleeve on that one

Do I Stand Alone, great great upbeat song, loved the delay and great lyrics too

All in all, a nice record....although to me, Lukather was my most favourite album's of Luke...:p

Ray
In the land of the pigs, the butcher is King..!
r@y
45 RPM

Postby Joe Vana » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:47 am

Just listened to this all the way through last night again...if you do not have this album GET IT!!!! I cannot recommend this album enough!!!! Get's a 98/100 from me!!!!

JV
The World was flat once....what happened??
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby G.I.Jim » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:43 am

Joe Vana wrote:Just listened to this all the way through last night again...if you do not have this album GET IT!!!! I cannot recommend this album enough!!!! Get's a 98/100 from me!!!!

JV

Couldn't disagree more. No where near Luke's best work, and NO WHERE near the last Toto album. I'm a huge Toto/Luke fan and always have, but this album just doesn't do it for me. After giving it several full play-throughs, I've taken it off of my Ipod and don't care to hear it again. I'd give it an 75% at best. That's just my ears though... what do I know?
G.I.Jim
MP3

Postby Rockingbear » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:24 pm

I lived with "Transition" for six months now and still think it is very strong, however, IMHO, not as good as the previous two, 2010's "All's Well That Ends Well" and my personal favourite Luke solo album, 2008's "Changing Times".
Rockingbear
Ol' 78

Return to Toto