Journey-Frontiers 30th Anniversary-Jonathan Cain-Neal Schon-

Strange Talking Street Medicine

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Journey-Frontiers 30th Anniversary-Jonathan Cain-Neal Schon-

Postby tater1977 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:35 am

Journey-Frontiers 30th Anniversary-Jonathan Cain-Neal Schon-Steve Perry 2-25

http://www.inthestudio.net/previews/jou ... eve-perry/

Back-to-back Journey anniversaries, this time for February 1983 blockbuster Frontiers on its 30th anniversary with vocalist/songwriter Steve Perry and Journey co-founding guitarist Neal Schon joined In the Studio by keyboardist/songwriter Jonathan Cain the week of February 25. – Redbeard

Listen to audio..

http://www.inthestudio.net/previews/jou ... eve-perry/
On missing Steve Perry .. "His intuition. His sensibility. He had a certain panache and style that I clicked with. And there will always be that chemistry that we had. It was the most success that I've ever been associated with." Jon Cain 2011
tater1977
Stereo LP

Journey-Infinity 35th anniversary-Gregg Rolie,Neal Schon,Ste

Postby tater1977 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:48 am

Journey-Infinity 35th anniversary-Gregg Rolie,Neal Schon,Steve Perry-Feb 18

This week the ex-Santana co-founders of Journey, guitarist/songwriter Neal Schon and organist/singer/songwriter Gregg Rolie, are joined by the unknown new guy singer/songwriter in the Volkswagen Beetle, Steve Perry, for the remarkable true story of Journey’s breakout 1978 fourth album, Infinity. – Redbeard

Listen to audio..

http://www.inthestudio.net/previews/jou ... niversary/
On missing Steve Perry .. "His intuition. His sensibility. He had a certain panache and style that I clicked with. And there will always be that chemistry that we had. It was the most success that I've ever been associated with." Jon Cain 2011
tater1977
Stereo LP

Re: Journey-Infinity 35th anniversary-Gregg Rolie,Neal Schon

Postby JustMyStyle » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:58 am

tater1977 wrote:Journey-Infinity 35th anniversary-Gregg Rolie,Neal Schon,Steve Perry-Feb 18

This week the ex-Santana co-founders of Journey, guitarist/songwriter Neal Schon and organist/singer/songwriter Gregg Rolie, are joined by the unknown new guy singer/songwriter in the Volkswagen Beetle, Steve Perry, for the remarkable true story of Journey’s breakout 1978 fourth album, Infinity. – Redbeard

Listen to audio..

http://www.inthestudio.net/previews/jou ... niversary/

I listened to the interview... I love hearing about the background of a song and how it came to be... it was an enjoyable 23 minutes... worth a listen... and this coming Monday 2/25... interview 30th anniversary Frontiers!! :)
Anyone else catch the interview??
Captured by the Moment ...
JustMyStyle
Ol' 78

Postby tater1977 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:22 am

Journey-Infinity 35th anniversary

http://www.inthestudio.net/redbeards-bl ... niversary/

(link to the Infinity anniversary audio)

Journey-Infinity 35th anniversary

There is a pervasive attitude among some rock writers today who attempt to summarize the remarkable transformation by the San Francisco band Journey on its 1978 fourth album, Infinity: veteran but commercially-struggling group hires word-class singer, which anybody would recognize; shortens song arrangements; and instantly becomes the biggest band in America.

“Wrong,” says Journey lead guitarist/songwriter/co-founder Neal Schon in this week’s classic rock interview.”Wrong!”

Even though I had been playing Journey on the radio starting with “Of a Lifetime” on their 1975 debut, 90% of whom shortly would become Journey fans first heard and saw the band because of the songs on Infinity, including “Lights”,”Feeling That Way”,”Anytime”, “Wheel in the Sky”, and “Patiently“. Yet two vital facts seem to elude the rock history revisionists: Journey had already tried, unsuccessfully, to be more commercial by shortening their songs on their third album, Next. And in band co-founder Gregg Rolie, “Journey already had a lead singer,” Steve Perry emphasizes.” I wasn’t brought in to replace anyone.” Truth be told, band manager Herbie Herbert had already tried to bring in an outside singer, Robert Fleischman (who even co-wrote “Anytime” and “Wheel in the Sky”) before Perry, so the odds of grafting any new singer onto this well-established quartet were slim and none.

The points that seem to be most under-appreciated in the turnaround of Journey is the strong, instantaneous collaborative songwriting that Steve Perry provided, particularly with Neal Schon on “Lights”,”Patiently”, and “Somethin’ to Hide”. And as America would soon learn after Infinity‘s release 35 years ago, Perry could be an excellent front man in concert, not anchored behind a bulky Hammond organ like Rolie, energetic and seemingly effortless in singing over 170 shows on the barnstorming Infinity tour. – Redbeard
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby tater1977 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:31 am

Journey-Frontiers 30th anniversary

In the deepest part of Winter, February 1983, the San Francisco-based American juggernaut Journey released Frontiers amidst intense anticipation. The rock world knew that Journey’s preceding album, 1981′s Escape , had spawned three Top Ten hits on its way to #1 sales. Journey had already established itself as a tireless touring enterprise, a real “people’s band”, a perception validated when the national Gallup Poll determined that the Bay Area quintet was voted America’s favorite band then. That fame in turn prompted the first computer video game named after a rock band. It was no surprise then when that success increased the demand to extend the already lengthy Escape tour, but what we outside the band’s inner circle had no way of knowing is that the extended time away from home was straining several marriages of Journey band members.

The skyrocketing album, merchandise, and concert ticket sales were obvious, but what was far less apparent was the exceedingly high musical standards to which any new members, such as ex-Babys keyboard player/songwriter Jonathan Cain, would be held. Cain, band co-founder/guitarist Neal Schon, and former singer Steve Perry reveal considerable personal pathos during the Big Payday provided by “Separate Ways”, “Faithfully”,”Send Her My Love”,”Chain Reaction”,”After the Fall”, & two more which were inexplicably bumped off of Frontiers, “Only the Young” and “Ask the Lonely”.- Redbeard

(listen to audio)

tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:01 am

When were these interviews conducted? Perry's voice sounds crystal clear!
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby tater1977 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:23 am

Art Vandelay wrote:When were these interviews conducted? Perry's voice sounds crystal clear!

Probably old ones they edited together ?
Except for what Redbeard says at the end of Frontiers
about their tour overseas in 2013...
tater1977
Stereo LP

Return to Steve Perry