DDY Talks About Unreleased Concert Footage

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

DDY Talks About Unreleased Concert Footage

Postby Boomchild » Fri May 20, 2016 1:55 pm

On his FB page, DDY was talking about a concert shoot from the '97 Grand Illusion tour that has never been released. I think it's a shame. Due to the current situation it seems this will never see the light of day. Don't know if it would have been on par with the RTP video. Most likely we will never know.

Hey kids,

That dude can sing. I have mentioned in the past that Styx (which included me) had spent the dough on a 9 camera shoot to film the 1997 Grand Illusion Tour when we played in Phoenix. You'll notice from this rather shaky bootleg that the audience is lit which is what you do when you film live. This is the only time we ever used lasers though as you can see there effectiveness is difficult to capture on video. There was actual Las Vegas style magic utilized for the opening which had JY and Tommy popping out of flight cases. Also the Grand Illusion album cover came to life as it spoke directly to the audience with lasers making the lips appear as if they were moving. The voice was done by Angie Dickinson who was friendly with Tommy. Pretty darn cool. If you saw the tour you know.

Unfortunately it was never edited and mixed. Shame really cause Dear John, Paradise, On My Way, acoustic Crystal Ball and a rockin' Queen of Spades were performed. After all the years we were not allowed by our manager to film. It's ironic that this concert still waits to be seen. Cheers Dennis
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Re: DDY Talks About Unreleased Concert Footage

Postby Cassie May » Sat May 21, 2016 12:01 am

Actually, that whole show from 97 is on YouTube. If you go to the video DDY linked, go to that person's page and there are all 22 songs from that Phoenix show. You have to watch each vid one at a time, as they don't play continuously, but you can see the whole show. It was really good! Obviously not pro shot, and the camera person focused way too often and unnecessarily on JY, but still. I really enjoyed the lasers they used. They had a really nice acoustic set as well. I loved hearing On My Way live.
Sometimes it makes no sense at all.
Cassie May
45 RPM

Postby masque » Sat May 21, 2016 3:00 am

yeh that tour was great! I really enjoyed the show alot because the setlist was a bit different than the 96 tour.
masque
Cassette Tape

Postby Boomchild » Sat May 21, 2016 5:18 am

Cassie May wrote:Actually, that whole show from 97 is on YouTube. If you go to the video DDY linked, go to that person's page and there are all 22 songs from that Phoenix show. You have to watch each vid one at a time, as they don't play continuously, but you can see the whole show. It was really good! Obviously not pro shot, and the camera person focused way too often and unnecessarily on JY, but still. I really enjoyed the lasers they used. They had a really nice acoustic set as well. I loved hearing On My Way live.

I have watched some of those clips in the past. Still, I would prefer an official quality release.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby ztyxlynne » Mon May 23, 2016 6:12 am

I would love to see/hear that tour on DVD/CD. I remember them doing Queen if Spades, and On my Way.

All the more reason for them to.... Aw forget it! LOL.
ztyxlynne
Ol' 78

Postby Archetype » Mon May 23, 2016 6:12 am

Sad that the band can't get their act together enough to at least allow the release of this footage for the fans. Same issue with Journey and their Frontiers tour footage. Talk about squandering some gems.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Postby yogi » Mon May 23, 2016 7:50 am

Saw this tour in Houston. They were 100% on TOP of their game.

As USUAL!!
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby masque » Mon May 23, 2016 11:14 pm

Archetype wrote:Sad that the band can't get their act together enough to at least allow the release of this footage for the fans. Same issue with Journey and their Frontiers tour footage. Talk about squandering some gems.

man I would love to see the frontiers tour concert footage....that would be great!
masque
Cassette Tape

Postby ztyxlynne » Tue May 24, 2016 2:47 am

I am surprised that they cannot come to some sort of agreement. Styx seems to put out a live album with some sort every couple years. So I'm surprised that they wouldn't want to cash in and release this. I hope one day we all get to see it.
ztyxlynne
Ol' 78

Postby Boomchild » Tue May 24, 2016 3:33 am

ztyxlynne wrote:I am surprised that they cannot come to some sort of agreement. Styx seems to put out a live album with some sort every couple years. So I'm surprised that they wouldn't want to cash in and release this. I hope one day we all get to see it.

It think that their efforts to distance themselves from DDY and focus on what Styx is today trump whatever "cash" could be earned from it. If it was the band itself releasing it, I don't know how they would promote it since it contains footage of a member that is no longer in the band.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Tue May 24, 2016 1:37 pm

Boomchild wrote:
ztyxlynne wrote:I am surprised that they cannot come to some sort of agreement. Styx seems to put out a live album with some sort every couple years. So I'm surprised that they wouldn't want to cash in and release this. I hope one day we all get to see it.

It think that their efforts to distance themselves from DDY and focus on what Styx is today trump whatever "cash" could be earned from it. If it was the band itself releasing it, I don't know how they would promote it since it contains footage of a member that is no longer in the band.

They could make a deal similar to the PO8/GI DVD, where they needed DDY's permission to release those songs on video. And, DDY needed Tommy's permission to use his songs on his last "Music of Styx" DVD.

If DDY wants this concert released, what would he be willing to give up that the band would want?
Monker
MP3

Postby Boomchild » Tue May 24, 2016 2:31 pm

Monker wrote:If DDY wants this concert released, what would he be willing to give up that the band would want?

I'm not seeing where the current Styx would want to see it released. It's apparent DDY felt it should have been finished and released, I doubt he is looking to do it now.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Archetype » Wed May 25, 2016 8:04 am

Monker wrote:
Boomchild wrote:

They could make a deal similar to the PO8/GI DVD, where they needed DDY's permission to release those songs on video. And, DDY needed Tommy's permission to use his songs on his last "Music of Styx" DVD.

If DDY wants this concert released, what would he be willing to give up that the band would want?

Is there really anything he's keeping from them at this point? He already allowed them to use his songs in their DVDs.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Postby Monker » Wed May 25, 2016 10:33 am

Archetype wrote:Is there really anything he's keeping from them at this point? He already allowed them to use his songs in their DVDs.

Only the Po8/GI DVD. If you look at the CYO DVD, some songs are missing, like "Come Sail Away".

IMO, they did a bit of a trade, Dennis allowed them to use his songs on the PO8/GI and he could use Tommy's songs on his own "Music of Styx" DVD. But, I doubt very much that it goes beyond those releases.
Monker
MP3

Postby Monker » Wed May 25, 2016 10:35 am

Boomchild wrote:
Monker wrote:If DDY wants this concert released, what would he be willing to give up that the band would want?

I'm not seeing where the current Styx would want to see it released. It's apparent DDY felt it should have been finished and released, I doubt he is looking to do it now.

I doubt they would care. If anything, it may add some $'s to JY, Tommy's and Chuck's bank. It's not like a DVD from back then is going to fly off the shelves or anything. But, if Dennis wants it released, he will need to give them something they want. Not sure what that would be though.
Monker
MP3

Postby Boomchild » Wed May 25, 2016 12:43 pm

Monker wrote:I doubt they would care. If anything, it may add some $'s to JY, Tommy's and Chuck's bank. It's not like a DVD from back then is going to fly off the shelves or anything. But, if Dennis wants it released, he will need to give them something they want. Not sure what that would be though.

I'm not convinced that would be the case. It does nothing for promoting the image that TS and JY want Styx to have. They have obviously have done everything they can to distance themselves from DDY. I don't not think that DDY is going to go to the expense of releasing it on his own should some kind of agreement be reached. A joint project to release it simply would not happen.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Wed May 25, 2016 3:18 pm

Boomchild wrote:
Monker wrote:I doubt they would care. If anything, it may add some $'s to JY, Tommy's and Chuck's bank. It's not like a DVD from back then is going to fly off the shelves or anything. But, if Dennis wants it released, he will need to give them something they want. Not sure what that would be though.

I'm not convinced that would be the case. It does nothing for promoting the image that TS and JY want Styx to have. They have obviously have done everything they can to distance themselves from DDY. I don't not think that DDY is going to go to the expense of releasing it on his own should some kind of agreement be reached. A joint project to release it simply would not happen.

At this point, what difference does it make if a DVD of a concert performed in 1996 is released? Maybe 10,000 copies are sold, giving TS, JY, and CP some money in the bank. 10,000 Styx and/or DDY fans will buy it. Nobody else will care. If anything, it promotes the name "Styx", not "Dennis DeYoung", so it may even help sell tickets. 15yrs ago, it may have mattered, but it really doesn't in today's reality. They gain a few dollars and not really lose much of anything.

As for how it gets released, I have no idea. Like I said, I doubt Styx would care one way or the other. If DDY cared enough, he would either have to release it himself, or find someone like Frontiers who will release it. Either way, they would need the permission of everybody in the video. To do that Dennis would have to give something. I don't know what, money maybe, permission to use his Styx songs on another release, amendments to the settlement....who knows. I would love a full CYO release with all songs, including Dennis songs and the Christmas songs. IMO, Styx would be foolish to just let him do it when it really does not benefit them much.
Monker
MP3

Postby Everett » Thu May 26, 2016 3:31 am

Cassie May wrote:Actually, that whole show from 97 is on YouTube. If you go to the video DDY linked, go to that person's page and there are all 22 songs from that Phoenix show. You have to watch each vid one at a time, as they don't play continuously, but you can see the whole show. It was really good! Obviously not pro shot, and the camera person focused way too often and unnecessarily on JY, but still. I really enjoyed the lasers they used. They had a really nice acoustic set as well. I loved hearing On My Way live.

I was about to post a new thread about this and copy
the link here. It was an awesome show. It reminded me of my first show during that tour @ summerfest amphitheatre in '97. Where's suitemadameblue when you need her????? I hope she was @ that show. I don't remember much as i was only a little tween at the time lol. Also what is up with the more so tommy crowd at this show???????
All in a day's work
Everett
Compact Disc

Postby Toph » Thu May 26, 2016 4:59 am

Monker wrote:
Archetype wrote:Is there really anything he's keeping from them at this point? He already allowed them to use his songs in their DVDs.

Only the Po8/GI DVD. If you look at the CYO DVD, some songs are missing, like "Come Sail Away".

IMO, they did a bit of a trade, Dennis allowed them to use his songs on the PO8/GI and he could use Tommy's songs on his own "Music of Styx" DVD. But, I doubt very much that it goes beyond those releases.

Except that they screwed him on Rockin' The Paradise....which for all intents and purposes is HIS song (JY got credit for the guitar solo and TS came up with the opening rift, the rest is DDY). I'm betting they didn't want it out there because it kicks ass.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Toph » Thu May 26, 2016 5:01 am

Boomchild wrote:

As far as distancing themselves from DDY, that is true. They hate it that DDY has become successful touring because it continually reminds the world that he was part of the machine and makes it that much harder to "pretend he didn't exist." I personally think its fucking hilarious.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Boomchild » Thu May 26, 2016 11:15 am

Toph wrote:Except that they screwed him on Rockin' The Paradise....which for all intents and purposes is HIS song (JY got credit for the guitar solo and TS came up with the opening rift, the rest is DDY). I'm betting they didn't want it out there because it kicks ass.

All Dennis has said regarding the rights to "Rockin' The Paradise" was that he could not get the approval in the time frame he needed. That doesn't equate to they denied his request.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby masque » Fri May 27, 2016 5:13 am

^ i think that is what I had heard as well.....of course, I'm not on the inside. 8)
masque
Cassette Tape

Postby masque » Fri May 27, 2016 5:16 am

Toph wrote:
Monker wrote:

Except that they screwed him on Rockin' The Paradise....which for all intents and purposes is HIS song (JY got credit for the guitar solo and TS came up with the opening rift, the rest is DDY). I'm betting they didn't want it out there because it kicks ass.

i know we talk alot about how these guys dont like each other, but I actually think there is a better chance that TS came up with the opening riff instead of rift. although he may have done that as well. of course I wouldnt know, i'm not on the inside of those things. 8)
masque
Cassette Tape

Postby Boomchild » Fri May 27, 2016 7:23 am

masque wrote:i know we talk alot about how these guys dont like each other, but I actually think there is a better chance that TS came up with the opening riff instead of rift. although he may have done that as well. of course I wouldnt know, i'm not on the inside of those things. 8)

gr8dane is besties with someone close to the "inner circle". I'm sure he can tell us the scoop! 8)
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Toph » Sat May 28, 2016 1:48 am

Boomchild wrote:
Toph wrote:Except that they screwed him on Rockin' The Paradise....which for all intents and purposes is HIS song (JY got credit for the guitar solo and TS came up with the opening rift, the rest is DDY). I'm betting they didn't want it out there because it kicks ass.

All Dennis has said regarding the rights to "Rockin' The Paradise" was that he could not get the approval in the time frame he needed. That doesn't equate to they denied his request.

It was denied by the band. "Better for a fool to keep his mouth shut than open it and let the world know..."
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Sat May 28, 2016 3:39 am

Toph wrote:
Boomchild wrote:

It was denied by the band. "Better for a fool to keep his mouth shut than open it and let the world know..."

Wow, Dennis lied to public once again. You just can't believe anything that Dennis says.
Monker
MP3

Postby Monker » Sat May 28, 2016 3:42 am

Toph wrote:
Monker wrote:

Yeah, that makes perfect sense. Deny RTP, but allow the Tommy songs.

You are such an idiot. Seriously.
Monker
MP3

Postby gr8dane » Sat May 28, 2016 9:34 pm

Boomchild wrote:
masque wrote:i know we talk alot about how these guys dont like each other, but I actually think there is a better chance that TS came up with the opening riff instead of rift. although he may have done that as well. of course I wouldnt know, i'm not on the inside of those things. 8)

gr8dane is besties with someone close to the "inner circle". I'm sure he can tell us the scoop! 8)

I got some juice bits right here guys,but keep it under your hat,will you.

We know RTP is one killer song with great sounding keys.But get this,it's not Dennis playing,but Rick Wakeman.

Dennis had been grounded,and the guys needed the job done before the deadline.

Why was Dennis grounded ? Get this,he wouldn't stop eating his boogers,and he would eat biscuits with his tea before bed time and after he had brushed his teeth.And that's a big no no.

You didn't get this from me. 8)
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Postby Archetype » Tue May 31, 2016 4:10 am

I'd buy this just for the pro-shot video and audio of Queen of Spades with Dennis singing.
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Postby Boomchild » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:11 pm

Archetype wrote:I'd buy this just for the pro-shot video and audio of Queen of Spades with Dennis singing.

I would certainly purchase it as well. But it seems there is no chance in that happening.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Next

Return to Styx