DDY Talks About Unreleased Concert Footage

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Re: DDY Talks About Unreleased Concert Footage

Postby Toph » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:40 am

Monker wrote:
Toph wrote:
Monker wrote:
Only the Po8/GI DVD. If you look at the CYO DVD, some songs are missing, like "Come Sail Away".

IMO, they did a bit of a trade, Dennis allowed them to use his songs on the PO8/GI and he could use Tommy's songs on his own "Music of Styx" DVD. But, I doubt very much that it goes beyond those releases.

Except that they screwed him on Rockin' The Paradise....which for all intents and purposes is HIS song (JY got credit for the guitar solo and TS came up with the opening rift, the rest is DDY). I'm betting they didn't want it out there because it kicks ass.

Yeah, that makes perfect sense. Deny RTP, but allow the Tommy songs.

You are such an idiot. Seriously.

No, no I'm not. I know this for a fact. DeYoung's version kicks their version's ass....and they didn't want it out there.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Boomchild » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:45 pm

Toph wrote:
Monker wrote:

No, no I'm not. I know this for a fact. DeYoung's version kicks their version's ass....and they didn't want it out there.

One thing I do not like about the way DDY performs this song now is the way he sings certain lines in this song. Maybe he has done this because of difficulty hitting certain notes or some other reason.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Toph » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:31 am

Boomchild wrote:
Toph wrote:
Monker wrote:

One thing I do not like about the way DDY performs this song now is the way he sings certain lines in this song. Maybe he has done this because of difficulty hitting certain notes or some other reason.

Ha! This is rich. You bitch because you think DDY can't hit notes yet completely ignore Gowan's butchering of the same song. Get your head out of Shaw's ass for the love of Moses.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Boomchild » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:18 am

Toph wrote:Ha! This is rich. You bitch because you think DDY can't hit notes yet completely ignore Gowan's butchering of the same song. Get your head out of Shaw's ass for the love of Moses.

I said MAYBE it's because he has an issue with that or it's for some other reason. Which means I do not know. You clearly do not pay attention to what people post here. My comment was about how he changed the flow of the song at that specific part. It's much different then he has done in the past singing it live and it's not like the original at all. I have stated many times that I am impressed with how DDY has been able to retain his vocal abilities all these years. Especially at the age he is now. A lot of artists have a hard time doing that. So don't try to spin it. Furthermore, were not talking about Gowan here. So there was no reason to mention him. But since you brought it up. All you need to do is go back and look at what I have said when talking about why I do not care for the current incarnation of Styx. I have been saying all the long that one of the main reasons I don't is because I don't care for Gowan's performance on DDY's songs. So I haven't ignored anything fuck twit. It is responses like this only further proves you don't know what the fuck you are talking about. Polly wanna cracker.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:53 pm

Toph wrote:Yeah, that makes perfect sense. Deny RTP, but allow the Tommy songs.

No, no IY'm not. I know this for a fact. DeYoung's version kicks their version's ass....and they didn't want it out there.[/quote]

Yes, you are. Your opinion of the performances of RTP is irrelevant. You have no idea why it was left off of DDY's DVD. You are just making shit up derived from your own biased opinion.

What I surmise from what DDY has said is he asked for permission to use it too late. He has never blamed this on Styx in such an asshole way, such as you and froyline do.
Monker
MP3

Postby Boomchild » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:25 am

Monker wrote:What I surmise from what DDY has said is he asked for permission to use it too late. He has never blamed this on Styx in such an asshole way, such as you and froyline do.

Your exactly right. I remember DDY talking about why this song was left off the video release. He clearly pointed out that he could not secure the rights in time. So based on that, one can only surmise the details. I would suspect that IF TS\JY personally refused to give DDY the rights, DDY would have said so. There could be several reasons to explain this. Correct me if I am wrong but in a lot of cases there are companies that manage rights like this on behalf of the artist. So it's very possible TS\JY were not even directly involved. It could also be that DDY was not willing to pay the asking price or whatever deal was offered for the rights.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Toph » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:56 am

Monker wrote:
Toph wrote:Yeah, that makes perfect sense. Deny RTP, but allow the Tommy songs.

No, no IY'm not. I know this for a fact. DeYoung's version kicks their version's ass....and they didn't want it out there.

Yes, you are. Your opinion of the performances of RTP is irrelevant. You have no idea why it was left off of DDY's DVD. You are just making shit up derived from your own biased opinion.

What I surmise from what DDY has said is he asked for permission to use it too late. He has never blamed this on Styx in such an asshole way, such as you and froyline do.[/quote]

Completely idiotic asinine statement. So, let me get this straight, in your little world, he records the song along with all 20 others and then just decides to ask for permission for this one late? That is completely stupid. And yet you went there. What color is the sky in your world?
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Toph » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:58 am

Boomchild wrote:
Monker wrote:What I surmise from what DDY has said is he asked for permission to use it too late. He has never blamed this on Styx in such an asshole way, such as you and froyline do.

Your exactly right. I remember DDY talking about why this song was left off the video release. He clearly pointed out that he could not secure the rights in time. So based on that, one can only surmise the details. I would suspect that IF TS\JY personally refused to give DDY the rights, DDY would have said so. There could be several reasons to explain this. Correct me if I am wrong but in a lot of cases there are companies that manage rights like this on behalf of the artist. So it's very possible TS\JY were not even directly involved. It could also be that DDY was not willing to pay the asking price or whatever deal was offered for the rights.

Again, when you and Monkey Boy pretend like you know how this business works, you make complete idiots out of yourselves. So, RTP asking price is less than Renegade? Less than Blue Collar Man? I like the song better, but even a casual fan would know that would not be the case. Renegade has higher rights than RTP. Its a more popular song. Get your head out of your ass.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Boomchild » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:23 am

Toph wrote:Again, when you and Monkey Boy pretend like you know how this business works, you make complete idiots out of yourselves. So, RTP asking price is less than Renegade? Less than Blue Collar Man? I like the song better, but even a casual fan would know that would not be the case. Renegade has higher rights than RTP. Its a more popular song. Get your head out of your ass.

So you now are calling DDY a liar? It was he who provided the explanation as to why RTP was left off the video. Again, HE said he couldn't obtain the permission for it in time. So anything I or anyone else suggests is speculation. Get over it.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Cassie May » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:47 am

Boomchild wrote:
Toph wrote:Again, when you and Monkey Boy pretend like you know how this business works, you make complete idiots out of yourselves. So, RTP asking price is less than Renegade? Less than Blue Collar Man? I like the song better, but even a casual fan would know that would not be the case. Renegade has higher rights than RTP. Its a more popular song. Get your head out of your ass.

So you now are calling DDY a liar? It was he who provided the explanation as to why RTP was left off the video. Again, HE said he couldn't obtain the permission for it in time. So anything I or anyone else suggests is speculation. Get over it.

I remember reading an interview GIVEN BY DDY in which HE SAID that he didn't get the rights cleared in time. Jesus Christ Toph, you trip all over yourself in your vehemence that you are so all-knowing, so pro DDY, and yet you totally disregard statements that DDY HIMSELF made. I could take the time and effort to link the interviews, but frankly, I have a life and I really just don't give a shit. You just keep on living in your little world.
Sometimes it makes no sense at all.
Cassie May
45 RPM

Postby Toph » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:02 am

Boomchild wrote:

Asswipe...why don't you think he was able to obtain the permission in time? Maybe he just didn't feel like throwing the two assholes under the bus? Unlike they would do to him... You people are so naive.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Toph » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:03 am

Cassie May wrote:
Boomchild wrote:

I remember reading an interview GIVEN BY DDY in which HE SAID that he didn't get the rights cleared in time. Jesus Christ Toph, you trip all over yourself in your vehemence that you are so all-knowing, so pro DDY, and yet you totally disregard statements that DDY HIMSELF made. I could take the time and effort to link the interviews, but frankly, I have a life and I really just don't give a shit. You just keep on living in your little world.

See the statement above and STFU about things you are clueless about.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Boomchild » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:27 am

Toph wrote:Asswipe...why don't you think he was able to obtain the permission in time? Maybe he just didn't feel like throwing the two assholes under the bus? Unlike they would do to him... You people are so naive.

The situation is very simple. If there is evidence that contradicts DDY's own statements, then by all means present your verifiable evidence. If not, then his statement on the subject is to be taken as the truth. From what I have seen and heard from DDY, if he was denied the sync rights directly by TS and\or JY he would have said so. In a very matter of fact and tactful way.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby DracIsBack » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:10 am

Monker wrote:They could make a deal similar to the PO8/GI DVD, where they needed DDY's permission to release those songs on video. And, DDY needed Tommy's permission to use his songs on his last "Music of Styx" DVD.

Are you sure they actually 'need' permission? Vs simply paying royalties, giving credit and being done with it?
DracIsBack
8 Track

Postby Archetype » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:01 am

Toph wrote:

I'll disagree with your conclusion for one reason: Just about every song Dennis does kicks the ass of the equivalent songs being done by Styx. Why would they single out RTP, a song that was on Greatest Hits 2, when his renditions of Come Sail Away, Suite Madame Blue and most others are just as superior?
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Postby Monker » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:03 pm

DracIsBack wrote:
Monker wrote:They could make a deal similar to the PO8/GI DVD, where they needed DDY's permission to release those songs on video. And, DDY needed Tommy's permission to use his songs on his last "Music of Styx" DVD.

Are you sure they actually 'need' permission? Vs simply paying royalties, giving credit and being done with it?

Yes, I'm sure. They need different permissions to release it on DVD. CD is different because there is no video involved.

http://www.askamusiclawyer.com/archive/ ... songs.html

So, Styx can perform ANY song in concert as long as they, or the venue, pay the RIAA fees.

Styx can record ANY song they want to and release it on CD, or any audio only format, as long as they pay the publisher for the rights.

But, for Styx to release a song on DVD that they do not own the rights to they have to get additional rights and the publisher does not necessarily have to give it to them.

This is why Styx live CD's have always included Dennis' songs. But, things like the CYO dvd did not include Dennis' songs.

Therefore, it is obvious to me that Styx and Dennis reached some agreement to allow them to release each others songs on DVD...at least for the Po8/GI DVD and Dennis' last DVD....maybe more...I don't know. Or, maybe they both decided to play nice with each other nowadays. As far as I know, nobody has really talked about it.
Monker
MP3

Postby kansas666 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:09 am

It's purely monetary. Why would they spend the money edit, mix and release a standard def DVD from 20 years ago without any likelihood of a reasonable return?
Dave
kansas666
8 Track

Postby Boomchild » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:23 am

kansas666 wrote:It's purely monetary. Why would they spend the money edit, mix and release a standard def DVD from 20 years ago without any likelihood of a reasonable return?

That's not always the case. There have been many bands that have release dconcert footage shot way older then this footage that was never released before. As far as the current Styx goes, they wouldn't release it simply because it is from the DDY era and they have moved on from that. They clearly want to focus on the current incarnation only. Which makes sense for them.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Previous

Return to Styx