New Styx album

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Re: New Styx album

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:30 am

Any new music is welcome at this point. At least it's not another album of covers. "Gone Gone Gone" is simplistic, but catchy, Better than nuthin.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:13 am

Toph wrote:Look at the ultimate classic rock interview.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/tommy-sh ... view-2017/
Tommy is clearly still on drugs. He loves to glorify them. Every addict that I've known and every treatment program that I am familiar with NEVER tells you to glorify your usage. Tommy does it every chance he gets. What a loser. Go smoke another bowl.

Please tell me you're making a joke.

And plenty of addicts in recovery talk openly about instances when they were using, almost romanticizing.
Last edited by Baron Von Bielski on Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:03 pm

The writers

Overture TS
Gone Gone Gone JY, TS, Will E
Hundred Million Miles From Home LG, TS, Will E
Trouble At The Big Show JY, TS, Will E
Locomotive TS
Radio Silence LG, TS, Will E
The Greater Good LG TS, Will E
Time May Bend TS, Will E
Ten Thousand Ways LG, TS
Red Storm TS, Will E
All Systems Stable LG, TS, Todd S, Will E
Khedive LG
The Outpost LG, TS, Will E
Mission To Mars TS
STYX new album coming in 2024
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:46 pm

Did I read that they're also putting out a 5.1 surround mix of the album as well? That would be excellent.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Postby Monker » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:18 pm

Who is Will E?
ChicagoSTYX wrote:The writers

Overture TS
Locomotive TS
Time May Bend TS, Will E
Ten Thousand Ways LG, TS
Red Storm TS, Will E
Khedive LG
Mission To Mars TS
Monker
MP3

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:45 pm

[quote][quote="Monker"]Who is Will E?
[quote="ChicagoSTYX"]The writers

Overture TS
Locomotive TS
Time May Bend TS, Will E
Ten Thousand Ways LG, TS
Red Storm TS, Will E
Khedive LG
Mission To Mars TS[/quote][/quote][/quote]

Will Evankovich
https://www.willevankovich.com/
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby ztyxlynne » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:08 am

I cant wait to hear more music off of this new album. I really hope they are going back to the progressive and concept roots. Should be cool.
ztyxlynne
Ol' 78

Postby Cassie May » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:10 am

Monker wrote:Who is Will E?

Will Evankovich is a long-time collaborator of Tommy's, going back to Shaw Blades days. He played acoustic with Tommy and Jack at their live shows, he helped produce some of Tommy's solo stuff, and most recently played with Tommy at his solo Contemporary Youth Orchestra show last May. I know there's a lot more he's done, but that was all I could think of off the top of my head.
Sometimes it makes no sense at all.
Cassie May
45 RPM

Postby Cassie May » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:15 am

Toph wrote:What a freaking hypocrite Tommy Shaw is! The guy who couldn't stand concept albums and left the band as a result of it now decides to do a concept album? What a joke.

And speaking of jokes, what a sophomoric effort...."Gone, Gone, Gone." How about "Went, Went' Went" - as in went to the dumpster.... what a load of crap.

IT SUCKS! But what would you expect out of these guys. Looking forward to Dennis DeYoung's new album which will blow this pile of steaming dog manure away.

I thought you stomped off in a huff ages ago. Why are you here?
Sometimes it makes no sense at all.
Cassie May
45 RPM

Postby yogi » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:00 am

Just like jock itch
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:56 am

Anyone see Styx interviewed on ABC news this morning? I missed it.
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby brywool » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:29 am

Some things never change. Death. Taxes. Toph.

I think the new tune's great. I certainly dug it more than "Difference In the World" which didn't do much for me. Totally psyched for the new album. I also thought "Tommy's okay about a concept album?" - but then I thought, yeah... since it was 34 years since the last one, he's entitled to change his mind. I'm just glad it's not a live or covers album.

AND... When Dennis releases a new track, and if it's good, I'll be just as jazzed.

They don't get along. Doesn't mean I can't enjoy the output of both camps and be interested in their releases.
NO. He's NOT Steve F'ing Perry. But he's Arnel F'ing Pineda and I'm okay with that.
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:38 pm

Themed or concept albums are what Styx is known for. I'm glad they chose to do a concept record. The first single sounds like Styx. Especially the chorus. Good, creative guitar leads. My only gripe is I wish the song was longer. Best lead vocal I've ever heard from Gowan.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:32 am

I heard a couple of good interviews with the band yesterday on the radio. They talked about the recording process and how it was all done old school with the whole band in the same studio on analog equipment and vintage equipment working out the songs and writing together. There was no "mailing in the parts" on this album. The packaging is also a throw back to the days when you bought an album and it came in a gate fold cover with an insert, lots of pictures, and liner notes. (I'm definitely getting the vinyl). The guys rally put a lot of effort and thought into this project. It will also be available in 5.1 surround.
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:48 am

I haven't seen the 5.1 for sale though. That's what I really want. I already ordered the CD and vinyl. But I'm going through a surround sound kick so I gotta have it!!
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Postby RumTumJM » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:34 am

I actually know a few people who have heard the entire album, since I work at SiriusXM. I have been told that it really is a classic sounding album and that we shouldn't be let down.

The funniest thing is that I tried to get a listen of one of these "preview copies", but apparently they were temporary files, that "self-destructed" after a certain point.

Also, I had the pleasure of meeting the guys, while they were here. All were really cool. But I must admit, love him or hate him, Gowan truly is a personable guy. While some might call it sacrilege, I had all of them sign my Grand Illusion vinyl. (Yes. I included Gowan. It seemed like a decent thing to do, since I respect and love what he done, in regards to the big picture.) I was pleasantly surprised when he, himself, made sure that I knew that he WAS NOT on the album. When, I told him a already knew but wanted to include him anyway, he modestly signed it in the corner, while Tommy & JY signed in the middle. Therefore, say what will want about the guy, but I've come to realize that he's a pretty damn classy guy, who seems to get his place in the big picture of Styx.
http://twitter.com/RockNationRadio

"Whatever doesn't kill you, makes you...ROCK!"
-Brian May, Queen
RumTumJM
LP

Postby Archetype » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:11 pm

I'm surprised that Ricky Philips doesn't have any writing credits. He's actually quite the accomplished songwriter.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby masque » Tue May 02, 2017 4:39 am

yogi wrote:Just like jock itch

I was thinking he's more like MRSA.
masque
Cassette Tape

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Wed May 03, 2017 12:11 pm

After seeing the YouTube video of The Khedive with just the piano, it will be interesting to see what they did with it as a band.
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby Toph » Fri May 05, 2017 4:30 am

Baron Von Bielski wrote:

Tommy is clearly still on drugs. He loves to glorify them. Every addict that I've known and every treatment program that I am familiar with NEVER tells you to glorify your usage. Tommy does it every chance he gets. What a loser. Go smoke another bowl.

And plenty of addicts in recovery talk openly about instances when they were using, almost romanticizing.

You are clueless. Absolutely clueless.
As part of the recovery process, addicts are encouraged to speak about their usage and how it led them to a bad place. They are NOT, I repeat, NOT encouraged to romanticize it. Tommy seems to have taken the latter path. That's why I question whether a recovery truly has taken place.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Fri May 05, 2017 8:28 pm

They have been playing Gone Gone Gone first every concert since the album was announced. Great way to get people to pay attention to the new music.
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby yogi » Fri May 05, 2017 11:50 pm

[quote="ChicagoSTYX"]They have been playing Gone Gone Gone first every concert since the album was announced. Great way to get people to pay attention to the new music.[/quote]

Sure wish POTH was!

Riddle me this.........

What is the difference between Froy & Poth??????????

Ask Chunks
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby Boomchild » Sat May 06, 2017 3:05 am

ChicagoSTYX wrote:They have been playing Gone Gone Gone first every concert since the album was announced. Great way to get people to pay attention to the new music.

Or get the bathroom break and beer run taken care of right away. 8)
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby gr8dane » Sat May 06, 2017 9:15 am

Boomchild wrote:
ChicagoSTYX wrote:They have been playing Gone Gone Gone first every concert since the album was announced. Great way to get people to pay attention to the new music.

Or get the bathroom break and beer run taken care of right away. 8)

Apparently Dennis and Suzanne will be signing 'a Love Foretold' in the washroom,while Styx is on stage.LOL.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Postby Boomchild » Sat May 06, 2017 10:02 am

gr8dane wrote:Apparently Dennis and Suzanne will be signing 'a Love Foretold' in the washroom,while Styx is on stage.LOL.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

If this is true, then it's a smart move. Since this is where the audience heads to anytime most classic rock artists whip out new material.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Sat May 06, 2017 5:55 pm

Toph wrote:
Baron Von Bielski wrote:

You are clueless. Absolutely clueless.
As part of the recovery process, addicts are encouraged to speak about their usage and how it led them to a bad place. They are NOT, I repeat, NOT encouraged to romanticize it. Tommy seems to have taken the latter path. That's why I question whether a recovery truly has taken place.

You sound like you speak from experience of being an addict. What are you recovering from? An addiction to fantasizing of being DDY's eunuch slave? Fantasies of getting some compensation from DDY for your inane posts here? Or, are you simply addicted to being an asshole?

At Tommy's age, if he wants to reminisce in an article about pot smoking in his youth, I think he's entitled. This is about the most ambiguous thing to latch on to...only a piece of shit like you would do that.
Monker
MP3

Postby Monker » Sat May 06, 2017 6:01 pm

masque wrote:
yogi wrote:Just like jock itch

I was thinking he's more like MRSA.

It seems he's more like the Shingles.

You catch his disease at some time and you have to live his irritating, itching, puss spewing symptoms...and then it goes away and you hope it is forever over. Only it returns later in life as the same annoying disease with different symptoms.
Monker
MP3

Postby BRETT5150 » Sun May 07, 2017 9:33 pm

I can't wait for this too land. It will be in my local store so I'm pretty anxious. A new album finally.
What is understood need not be discussed
BRETT5150
Ol' 78

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Tue May 09, 2017 4:45 am

On the album cover in small print is MCMLXXII - MMXVII which is 1972 - 2017

Also on the cover is: LBY - MEK - JS - EBP - SEG - MUS. Any ideas what that could be???
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Wed May 10, 2017 10:06 am

On or around May 16th, Styx will be on Sirius XM either playing some of the new songs live or playing the studio versions. Not sure which channel yet.
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

PreviousNext

Return to Styx