Free Comic Book Day 2017

Off Topic Babble. The really important stuff...

Moderator: Andrew

Free Comic Book Day 2017

Postby TageRyche » Mon May 08, 2017 9:29 pm

Saturday May 6th was the annual Free Comic Book Day event. You can check out my recap of my adventures on the day HERE!
TageRyche
LP

Re: Free Comic Book Day 2017

Postby verslibre » Tue May 09, 2017 10:39 am

Cool blog. I didn't make it to FCBD because of other pressing matters, but I support my LCS all year long. (Same thing with RSD.)
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
verslibre
Stereo LP

Postby TageRyche » Tue May 09, 2017 9:14 pm

verslibre,

Thanks for reading the post. I support my LCS all year as well.

I usually go to RSD as well, though I ended up mostly missing it this year because I had to take the car in for work. Though to be fair, there wasn't a whole lot that interested me this year.
TageRyche
LP

Postby verslibre » Wed May 10, 2017 12:55 am

Ditto on RSD. I only wanted the ELP Brain Salad Surgery 7" clear vinyl for the sleeve art. I got it after RSD...for peanuts! I don't even want to know what I would've paid had I been there on Saturday. :lol:

You have three LCS's within driving distance? I have three, but I only support one (the one that's currently been there the longest) because the owner's a cool guy and his back issue selection is righteous. Of the other two shops, one deals only newer titles (and recent back issues) and toys, and the other one blows (it's run by a really young guy who doesn't know what he's doing and doesn't know shit when it comes to customer service, so I hear).
verslibre
Stereo LP

Postby TageRyche » Wed May 10, 2017 8:17 am

verslibre wrote:Ditto on RSD. I only wanted the ELP Brain Salad Surgery 7" clear vinyl for the sleeve art. I got it after RSD...for peanuts! I don't even want to know what I would've paid had I been there on Saturday. :lol:

You have three LCS's within driving distance? I have three, but I only support one (the one that's currently been there the longest) because the owner's a cool guy and his back issue selection is righteous. Of the other two shops, one deals only newer titles (and recent back issues) and toys, and the other one blows (it's run by a really young guy who doesn't know what he's doing and doesn't know shit when it comes to customer service, so I hear).

I have two main shops near me. The New Bedford one in the article is my main shop. The one where I didn't get any FCBD books is more of a music and pop culture store now. The other one was a visit that I made because of the writer that was there. It's about 1 hour away so it isn't one that I'll visit again unless they have someone I want to meet on a FCBD.

There's another store that is about 35-45 minutes away from me, but after two visits I probably won't go there. There was one in my town but I didn't care for the guy running it so I didn't go to it beyond 1 visit.

There are others within an hour's drive that I could visit but I just don't go.
TageRyche
LP

Postby verslibre » Fri May 12, 2017 2:37 am

Same here. If I head up the freeway not even an hour, I could hit another six shops! But the one I go to is really cool because the owner's got great back issues. A lot of them came from his personal collection when he opened it, which is why I like the '70s-80s stuff he's got. I don't see as much of it in one place without going to a con, and he's given me some great deals, especially on some Treasury editions.
verslibre
Stereo LP

Postby TageRyche » Fri May 12, 2017 1:00 pm

The treasury stuff is cool.

I like the DC Showcase Presents black and white reprints, but the company doesn't do those anymore.

Marvel's Essentials black and white reprints were good too.
TageRyche
LP

Postby verslibre » Sat May 13, 2017 2:42 am

TageRyche wrote:The treasury stuff is cool.

I like the DC Showcase Presents black and white reprints, but the company doesn't do those anymore.

Marvel's Essentials black and white reprints were good too.

I LOVE those sets. I got all the horror stuff: House of Mystery 1-3, House of Secrets, Sinister House, Ghost Rider, Moon Knight, Godzilla, Marvel Horror and Silver Surfer Vol. 1. Also picked up a few Savage Sword of Conan and Solomon Kane sets. I need more.

I recently picked up the two FC Man-Thing: The Complete Collection volumes, too...for half-price. I prefer originals, but I'm missing quite a few and the pricing was too good to pass up.

I still have some of the DC digests and those cool FC DC/Marvel paperback collections from the '80s: Conan, Incredible Hulk, the Byrne run of Captain America, The Untold Story of the Batman, Titans, etc.
verslibre
Stereo LP

Postby TageRyche » Sat May 13, 2017 11:00 am

verslibre wrote:
I LOVE those sets. I got all the horror stuff: House of Mystery 1-3, House of Secrets, Sinister House, Ghost Rider, Moon Knight, Godzilla, Marvel Horror and Silver Surfer Vol. 1. Also picked up a few Savage Sword of Conan and Solomon Kane sets. I need more.

I recently picked up the two FC Man-Thing: The Complete Collection volumes, too...for half-price. I prefer originals, but I'm missing quite a few and the pricing was too good to pass up.

I still have some of the DC digests and those cool FC DC/Marvel paperback collections from the '80s: Conan, Incredible Hulk, the Byrne run of Captain America, The Untold Story of the Batman, Titans, etc.

I just sold off the Moon Knight collections last week. They've been sitting around and I was never going to get around to reading them again. I'm actually paring down my collection of comics.

But I do have all of the Savage Sword of Conan collections.
TageRyche
LP

Return to Death By Stereo