Arrival

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Re: Arrival

Postby Archetype » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:11 am

I still love Arrival. What a great album.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2306
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:06 am
Location: Pleiades

Re: Arrival

Postby scarab » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:38 am

Was very lucky to hear songs live from this album in their first concert promoting it, in front row, a full 6 months before the release.
I loved World Gone Wild at that concert and thought it came right out of Frontiers, and the bluesy Good Time Tonight? as well and loved it. Both songs were touted as to be released on their next album.
And it may be a Mandella effect but I could swear there was a third would be Arrival song played. A Power ballad. But not on Arrival. I just remember something to do with A state of grace, which would appear on Red 13.
I know 2-3 of these songs were dropped quickly from the tour.

Still cant stand 2-3 of Cains ballads, All the Way especially. But the rocking songs and the best ballad they had post Perry, Kiss me Softly should have been released. Augeri OWNED this song.
User avatar
scarab
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1353
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:57 am
Location: Pigs Eye, MN

Re: Arrival

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:50 pm

scarab wrote:Was very lucky to hear songs live from this album in their first concert promoting it, in front row, a full 6 months before the release.
I loved World Gone Wild at that concert and thought it came right out of Frontiers, and the bluesy Good Time Tonight? as well and loved it. Both songs were touted as to be released on their next album.
And it may be a Mandella effect but I could swear there was a third would be Arrival song played. A Power ballad. But not on Arrival. I just remember something to do with A state of grace, which would appear on Red 13.
I know 2-3 of these songs were dropped quickly from the tour.

Still cant stand 2-3 of Cains ballads, All the Way especially. But the rocking songs and the best ballad they had post Perry, Kiss me Softly should have been released. Augeri OWNED this song.


The lyrics "state of grace" are also featured on Arrival tune, With Your Love. Maybe you heard that one? Actually, the lyrics "state of grace" are also on Kiss Me Softly.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
MP3
 
Posts: 12418
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Re: Arrival

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:46 pm

Arrival is my all-time favorite post-Perry Journey album by far. Revelation was powerful and was the sweet spot album for Journey at the time but I believe Arrival is still one of their best all around efforts. Augeri shines because he was allowed to be his soulful self instead of pushing the Perry envelope. I still think Steve A is a great singer and Arrival proved it. They should have let Steve A own what he did best in that era but instead he'll always be remembered as a shortcommer and that's not fair. He put in great work and as I said, was the lead in one of, if not, best Journey albums after Perry.
User avatar
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2286
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: Arrival

Postby Archetype » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:33 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:Arrival is my all-time favorite post-Perry Journey album by far. Revelation was powerful and was the sweet spot album for Journey at the time but I believe Arrival is still one of their best all around efforts. Augeri shines because he was allowed to be his soulful self instead of pushing the Perry envelope. I still think Steve A is a great singer and Arrival proved it. They should have let Steve A own what he did best in that era but instead he'll always be remembered as a shortcommer and that's not fair. He put in great work and as I said, was the lead in one of, if not, best Journey albums after Perry.



It's not even a question for me. I hardly ever listen to Revelation, Generations or Eclipse. Tracks from Arrival, however, end up in my playlists all the time. Arrival is by far my favorite Journey album overall. There individual songs I like better from Perry albums, but Arrival is the closest thing to an album I can listen to on a road trip without skipping a single track that Journey has released.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2306
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:06 am
Location: Pleiades

Re: Arrival

Postby Greg » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:38 am

I think folks are finding that Arrival has more staying power than Revelation does. Reading these comments back in 2011, shows you there's still a love for this album. Hard to believe it's 16 years old.
Greg
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2230
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:16 am
Location: Stealth Mode

Re: Arrival

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:40 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:Augeri shines because he was allowed to be his soulful self instead of pushing the Perry envelope.


Wow. I don't think I agree with this. Augeri was singing much more like himself on Generations than Arrival. I think he would tell you that himself. On Generations, he was even allowed to sneak in his trademark ad-lib ("Mustang!") which he did on his pre-Journey work too (Tall Stories etc). Arrival stuff like "All the Way" was calibrated to be very Perry-ish. However, a few tunes like "Kiss Me Softly" "Nothin Comes Close" and "I'm Not That Way" definitely allowed SA to blaze his own path.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
MP3
 
Posts: 12418
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Re: Arrival

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:42 am

Arrival is so strong because band wrote with outside songwriting talent. Everything else has been written in-house by Cain/Schon mostly.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
MP3
 
Posts: 12418
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Re: Arrival

Postby marco17 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:03 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Arrival is so strong because band wrote with outside songwriting talent. Everything else has been written in-house by Cain/Schon mostly.


Exactly... The duo of Cain/Schon hasn't seem to produce the same quality as the trio of Cain/Schon/Perry for sure. Because there was such magic there, I wonder how much time they actually gave to trying to write with Augeri/Pineda/"X" member post Perry? Both singers have some writing credits, but definitely not the number Cain/Schon/Perry had per album.
marco17
8 Track
 
Posts: 643
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2002 3:20 am

Re: Arrival

Postby Archetype » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:13 am

If Journey ever does another album, it would be cool if they bring in Jack Blades and Glen Burtnik as writers.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2306
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:06 am
Location: Pleiades

Re: Arrival

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:49 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
YoungJRNYfan wrote:Augeri shines because he was allowed to be his soulful self instead of pushing the Perry envelope.


Wow. I don't think I agree with this. Augeri was singing much more like himself on Generations than Arrival. I think he would tell you that himself. On Generations, he was even allowed to sneak in his trademark ad-lib ("Mustang!") which he did on his pre-Journey work too (Tall Stories etc). Arrival stuff like "All the Way" was calibrated to be very Perry-ish. However, a few tunes like "Kiss Me Softly" "Nothin Comes Close" and "I'm Not That Way" definitely allowed SA to blaze his own path.


I totally agree with All the Way being molded as a Perry-like track on Arrival. Hell, I believe they opened up the album with Higher Place just to hit the ground running and allow Augeri to kind of come out slugging; Perry-style to try to appease to the fanbase worrying about if Steve A couldn't go uptempo and live up to the Journey sound (Higher Place STILL kicks so much ass.) I think it's common sense that the band wanted to show Steve A off on Arrival as Perry's replacement but just like the tracks you mentioned above, I think Augeri's soul naturally comes through eventually and he owns most of Arrival as his own.
User avatar
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2286
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: Arrival

Postby AR » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:56 am

Arrival was a solid release with several songs that could have been hit singles if pushed on the radio.
AR is just a longtime net troll who is bored with trolling just Journey most of the time so he's looking for other places to troll and get reactions.

"StillStanding" from the karaoke Boston forum and night manager at Home Depot
User avatar
AR
Digital Audio Tape
 
Posts: 8495
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:21 am

Re: Arrival

Postby tater1977 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:10 am

Simply The Best by Steve Augeri from Journey
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq_w1xROfhk
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 4386
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:05 am
Location: USA

Re: Arrival

Postby AR » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:33 am

"AR" = Arrival Rules

:o
AR is just a longtime net troll who is bored with trolling just Journey most of the time so he's looking for other places to troll and get reactions.

"StillStanding" from the karaoke Boston forum and night manager at Home Depot
User avatar
AR
Digital Audio Tape
 
Posts: 8495
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:21 am

Re: Arrival

Postby JourneyHard » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:52 pm

I have been listening to Arrival lately. It has probably been 15 years or so since I listened. It is a great album.

Journey needs to load up on lead singers and do a three-hour show so they can do a lot of these songs on Arrival as well as other material from other albums after Perry.
JourneyHard
LP
 
Posts: 569
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:41 pm

Re: Arrival

Postby lparn » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:11 am

I loved arrival have the us and Japan releases
I think it was a strong cd wish they had done more from it live
Especially signs of life to he alive again we will meet again
I agree a few less songs especially the ballads and add remember me
Loved the EP also
lparn
45 RPM
 
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:39 am

Re: Arrival

Postby sniper16 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:31 am

higher place should be played live, period, show opener.
User avatar
sniper16
8 Track
 
Posts: 704
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:24 am
Location: cincinnati ohio

Re: Arrival

Postby steveo777 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:08 am

sniper16 wrote:higher place should be played live, period, show opener.


Higher Place is being played live, just not by Journey. Revolution Saints has been playing it live with Deen on vocals.
User avatar
steveo777
MP3
 
Posts: 10925
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:15 pm
Location: Citrus Heights, Ca

Previous

Return to Journey

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Abitaman and 5 guests