Arnel Pineda embarks on a solo concert tour to promote new a

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Re: Arnel Pineda embarks on a solo concert tour to promote n

Postby JBlake » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:29 am

bellairepark73 wrote:
carleysdad wrote:I've heard some clips from Arnel's solo album and it is horrible. The vocals themselves are okay, but the songwriting, lyrics, and backing tracks are about as bad as it gets.

Is there any way you can post 1 or 2? I would be interested in hearing him.

Who was his backup band? Also a good album really depends greatly on who is producing it, IMO. Who produced it? Where?
God better be wearing his titanium cup when I arrive to be judged, cause the very first thing I'm going to do is break my foot off in his balls. Liberals and Dems are proof that Satan has, to some extent, a sense of humor.
JBlake
8 Track

Postby slucero » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:54 pm

looks like he's promoting his 2016 album.. "Arnel Pineda - AP"

you can listen to the whole album here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2cQdoR4Vvw

the album is all over the map... none of it is pop... it's almost progressive.... which likely equals no sales..

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby youkeepmewaiting » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:47 am

I've listened to last years album a few times. I actually really like Owe and Hiling - played those quite a lot. Vocals for Hiling are brilliant.
youkeepmewaiting
Cassette Tape

Postby slucero » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:34 am

youkeepmewaiting wrote:I've listened to last years album a few times. I actually really like Owe and Hiling - played those quite a lot. Vocals for Hiling are brilliant.

It's nothing special, and mostly not commercial. It could be recorded by Mut Lange but it doesn't mean shit if it doesn't sell... and it hasn't, so Arnel has either swallowed all the production costs, marketing, and promo costs, for his album himself, because he has the money... or he got someone to pay for it...

Personally, I don't think AP is doing this to make money, and since the article lists the organisers and promoters, my bet is he has little of his own money in this. He's making them take the risk.

He probably gets a guarantee to show up and sing, and a percentage of the gate.

LIke I said originally this is a test to see if he can be marketed as a solo act.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby Gideon » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:50 am

More aggressive and non-commercial than what I was expecting. Vocals are great.
'Nothing was bigger for Journey than 1981’s “Escape” album. “I have to attribute that to Jonathan coming in and joining the writing team,” Steve Perry (Feb 2012).'
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby bellairepark73 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:52 am

Gideon wrote:More aggressive and non-commercial than what I was expecting. Vocals are great.

Really? Hmm. Now Im interested. Might go buy it.
Update: vocals are in the style of STEVE at Street Talk era. Rough rugged aggressive...translation. ..putting it in my amazon.com shopping cart. AND I am not an Arnel fan.
bellairepark73
45 RPM

Postby JourneyHard » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:32 pm

None of Jon's solo albums or Neal's solo albums have been big hits. So, I don't know why Arnel's solo album has to be a big hit. Solo albums are just to be creative.

It is impossible to listen to every song out there. Even if you did it every second of your life, you would only hear a small percentage of the songs written and recorded. This means Journey being a big hit is against the odds, and it was very special that they ever became a household name.
JourneyHard
LP

Postby bellairepark73 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:45 pm

JourneyHard wrote:None of Jon's solo albums or Neal's solo albums have been big hits. So, I don't know why Arnel's solo album has to be a big hit. Solo albums are just to be creative.

It is impossible to listen to every song out there. Even if you did it every second of your life, you would only hear a small percentage of the songs written and recorded. This means Journey being a big hit is against the odds, and it was very special that they ever became a household name.

I can't agree with that...Steve's 1st solo sold 2 million here in the US more worldwide. HIS 2nd sold 500k in US alone unknown worldwide sales. FTLOSM tour was supposed to go to Japan before Steve got sick. So...it depends on the objective of the solo artist. I hope it does sell, moderately well here and better overseas.
bellairepark73
45 RPM

Postby slucero » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:48 pm

JourneyHard wrote:None of Jon's solo albums or Neal's solo albums have been big hits. So, I don't know why Arnel's solo album has to be a big hit. Solo albums are just to be creative.

Not back then.

Perry was riding the 1980 wave of being "Journey's singer and frontman", most people back then saw Perry as Journey... he was the guy singing to them. The band was just in the background. This made Perry a brand in his own right.... lots of frontmen from 80's bands went solo and did well - John Waite, Lou Graham, Ric Ocasek, David Lee Roth, Mick Jagger, Dio, Peter Gabriel, Bryan Ferry, Phil Collins, Morrissey, Jon Anderson.. all who leveraged the notoriety they gained from having been frontmen for succesful bands...

The lead singer is always the most recongnizable member of a band. It also affords the a longer shelf life.

Perry's sales back then were pretty much guaranteed to be profitable. The label didn't have to spend much money to market someone people already knew.

Labels were about making money... if you were a nobody, you weren't getting label support.

These days - without any built in notoriety - its pretty much impossible to gain any traction, enough to move product.

Cain never had the same connection with the fans as Perry did, and was just "one of the band"... pretty much that's how it was for the rest of the band members too... the fact that Cain can't sing... and isn't pretty, makes it worse for him.

AP's commercial success as a solo artist remains to be seen. He will have to leverage his connection to Journey regardless.

Perry's notoriety, even with his long abscence is still greater than Cain or AP. He's in a great position to ensure he gets marketing support from a label, and that translates into sales.

JourneyHard wrote:It is impossible to listen to every song out there. Even if you did it every second of your life, you would only hear a small percentage of the songs written and recorded. This means Journey being a big hit is against the odds, and it was very special that they ever became a household name.

You are confusing "now" with "then"...

Journey's success is a product of a rockstar creation machine and a controlled record distribution system that existed in the 1980s and is now gone. The labels were the rockstar creation machine, marketing acts to stardom via payola and distribution control. Everybody knew that. The bands only responsiblilty in this was to make marketable music and have a pretty frontman. Herbi knew this, and the their label MADE him do it. Thats why he brought in Flieshman then switched him for Perry... Journey then figured out how to make music that was marketable yet didn't sound contrived, and they made loads of it. They made the "content", the label marketed the fuck out of it.

To think it was "happenstance" is fucking naive.

What has been the biggest change is the distribution system. Remember the labels controlled what was available, so it was very dificult to put out music without having access to distribution. Now, the labels don't own it anymore, that part of the game has changed. Its now a vast thing spread amongst dozens of companies that host songs, dozens of companies that help artists with web presence and analytics, and the stores that act as "front ends" where people buy music (Spotify, Apple, Amazon, etc..).

To distribute music thes days, the internet is all you need. Anybody can make and album and put it out, and they do. You can cheaply source your own distribution to the front ends. My distributor is $35 a year.

That is why there is so much music out there now. And why so much of it sucks.

The labels are now just marketing firms with deep pockets. The labels are no longer investing in acts long term. They only care about "sure things", or acts that they can find on shows like "The Voice, American Idol, etc..." because they come with market notoriety already.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby JBlake » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:25 am

slucero wrote:looks like he's promoting his 2016 album.. "Arnel Pineda - AP"

you can listen to the whole album here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2cQdoR4Vvw

the album is all over the map... none of it is pop... it's almost progressive.... which likely equals no sales..

Thanks for posting this link. I took a listen to each and every song and not too much really impressed me. I think with the right songs, AP has much more potential. But who am I to say what is good, bad, or great. None of the melodies really struck to where I wish to go out and pay for this album. The musicians playing were good. AP's voice is good. Just a lack of really catchy melodies though IMHO.
God better be wearing his titanium cup when I arrive to be judged, cause the very first thing I'm going to do is break my foot off in his balls. Liberals and Dems are proof that Satan has, to some extent, a sense of humor.
JBlake
8 Track

Postby FamilyMan » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:53 am

Arnel should be resting and spending time with the young family he never sees.
This is insanely unecessary, IMO.
"I'd love to hear his voice again." - Neal Schon 2008
FamilyMan
8 Track

Postby slucero » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:15 am

FamilyMan wrote:Arnel should be resting and spending time with the young family he never sees.

I agree... living in the PI.. AP really doesn't need anymore money than he already has..

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby bellairepark73 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:24 am

slucero wrote:
FamilyMan wrote:Arnel should be resting and spending time with the young family he never sees.

I agree... living in the PI.. AP really doesn't need anymore money than he already has..

Not about the money at this point. About the need to produce and work at your own stuff.
bellairepark73
45 RPM

Postby slucero » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:44 am

bellairepark73 wrote:
slucero wrote:

Not about the money at this point. About the need to produce and work at your own stuff.

even if you lose money while doing it..

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Previous

Return to Journey