OFFICIAL NFL 2017-2018 Thread

Off Topic Babble. The really important stuff...

Moderator: Andrew

Re: OFFICIAL NFL 2017-2018 Thread

Postby Memorex » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:41 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:I'm just saying no matter how much of a black eye the NFL took in recent years to where their product has suffered in many ways, it STILL is a juggernaut in comparison to other sports regardless of their own rating standards in comparison to itself. The NFL's issues have been documented for awhile and players like Kaepernick's antics factor into these dips, especially in a world where politics is becoming more and more dominate. It was bound to happen but the NFL will always be well oiled no matter how many jerseys you will set out to burn.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/shock ... le/2636837
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby Fact Finder » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:44 am

“Snaring a 7.0 in metered market results, last night’s MNF was down double digits from last week’s Kansas Chiefs’ 29-20 victory over the Washington Redskins. Down 17% in the ratings, that’s actually a regular game season low for the ESPN broadcast game and matches the MM result of the second game of the doubleheader MNF opener on September 11.

That comes a day after Sunday Night Football also hit a season low with its ratings down too.”
Only $5 Million more and I'll be a Greedy One Percenter.
Fact Finder
MP3

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:45 am

Memorex wrote:
YoungJRNYfan wrote:I'm just saying no matter how much of a black eye the NFL took in recent years to where their product has suffered in many ways, it STILL is a juggernaut in comparison to other sports regardless of their own rating standards in comparison to itself. The NFL's issues have been documented for awhile and players like Kaepernick's antics factor into these dips, especially in a world where politics is becoming more and more dominate. It was bound to happen but the NFL will always be well oiled no matter how many jerseys you will set out to burn.

The NFL is under heavy political scrutiny and it will STILL survive. These "polls" and ratings aren't surprising. Still a juggernaut. Give it time after all of this political Trump BS goes away and NFL Sundays will still be standing with something new you can bitch about.
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape

Postby Memorex » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:38 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:
Memorex wrote:

The NFL is under heavy political scrutiny and it will STILL survive. These "polls" and ratings aren't surprising. Still a juggernaut. Give it time after all of this political Trump BS goes away and NFL Sundays will still be standing with something new you can bitch about.

Of course it will survive.

Frankly, I wish Trump would have never gotten involved. While it does highlight the disrespect, it also becomes about other things.

In no way do I want the players to be told they HAVE to stand. This is America and we have the first amendment and I support people's rights to be dumbasses all they want. What I would like to have happen, and I think will likely be the final outcome, is that owners decide what their policy is and then live by it. The most sane policy, and the one we all would generally have to live by with our employers is hey, you walk on that field during the anthem you stand quietly, hand over heart or not. But if you feel you dislike your country so much you want to kneel, then keep it in the locker room. No point in pissing off our customers.

Frankly, if someone walked out and said they were Jehovah Witness and could not solute the flag for religious reasons, I have zero problem with that. That is not a protest of our country. And as I said before, I may not have so much problem with even the protest if they were fair, like with the Cowboys and the officers or the New York teams and 9/11. But when you allow one and not the other, you have made a statement and everyone can then decide if they want to support your company or not.

You are the only person I know downplaying the damage. I was going to post a bunch of stats and articles this week showing the absolute beating they are taking right now. But I figured it would just be piling on. But I do know int he Boston market that hockey beat the NFL in TV ratings a week or two ago and a survey came out and said NFL went from first to third favorable sport. Now I am not sure of that survey, but they fell very far from the previous time that same survey was taken.

But after all this, Niners still suck ass, their ownership blows, and I am realizing more and more how over the NFL I am. For all the reasons.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:09 pm

Memorex wrote:You are the only person I know downplaying the damage. I was going to post a bunch of stats and articles this week showing the absolute beating they are taking right now. But I figured it would just be piling on. But I do know int he Boston market that hockey beat the NFL in TV ratings a week or two ago and a survey came out and said NFL went from first to third favorable sport. Now I am not sure of that survey, but they fell very far from the previous time that same survey was taken.

But after all this, Niners still suck ass, their ownership blows, and I am realizing more and more how over the NFL I am. For all the reasons.

Bro, you can post every single stat, survey's and polls as you want. All it does is make it look like you care far more than you're letting on. I won't lose sleep over any of it and my position on the matter still remains. As I said and will keep saying, these stats, ratings and polls are an indication of the high level stress situation the NFL finds itself in right now. We all know polls and things of that nature will always reflect the sign of the current times. It's not rocket science. Frankly, I don't think you're so over the NFL as you may be lieing to yourself. It stems by your last sentence of the 9'ers sucking and their ownership blowing. Those emotions are factoring into the fact that not only did the former QB of your favorite team start all of this, the 9'ers have also been irrelevant since Baltimore's goalline stand in 2012. No matter, I'm not thinking about ratings or any of that when I'm watching my favorite team. You site the Boston market but here in Pittsburgh, the ratings were actually higher than previous weeks and that's all that matters to me. I'll be sitting and watching on Sunday's because it's what I like to do, bullshit politics aside. The rest of the league and fans of teams rooting for Brian Hoyer are welcome to think otherwise.

YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape

Postby Memorex » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:32 am

I said earlier in this thread that three things were making me not watch football. I did not give one priority over the next. it's all just a bundle of reasons. Maybe one or even two would not be enough, but three is more than enough. You see to think I am some zealot who sits around wearing Make America Great Again gear and drawing prototypes for the wall. I'm simply just average Joe that is tired of the politicization of EVERYTHING, tired of money before fans, and tired of being sold to every second of the day. There is nothing wrong with me stepping back and saying you know what, this has gotten to the point it just isn't fun or real anymore. Fake protests. Fake owners. And a sport that was more concerned with how many minutes I could watch advertising over the actual sport.

I think half of the people that left the sport feel like I do and it will be a hard sell to get us back. To that end, the NFL may never be back to what it was. Or it may take a very long time. The other half of those people are just counter-politicking. I stopped watching during the pre-season of last year. The Dallas incident pushed me over the cliff. I did watch game one, but I knew then my heart was no longer in it. And I have not watched a game since. That pre-dates Trump saying anything. That even pre-dates SackOrPick doing his thing. Game one was after, but Dallas was before. This was just a personal feeling that had been building.

The NFL has not helped themselves in any way. Trump wins the argument because he defined what the current debate is. That's the media giving 24-7 attention to every word he says. The media plays so much into it and Trump just keeps one-upping everyone. How many media folks have been suspended or fired, how many teachers and professors? Everyone takes their shot and they just end up worse off than they were.

Anyway, the NFL made a mistake in engaging with him, but I was gone long before. I am a red blooded American and something tells me if the Niners won six straight I'd have to watch. But I'm not so sure. My heart is just empty for it right now. And it's not even sad.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:46 am

Memorex wrote:I said earlier in this thread that three things were making me not watch football. I did not give one priority over the next. it's all just a bundle of reasons. Maybe one or even two would not be enough, but three is more than enough. You see to think I am some zealot who sits around wearing Make America Great Again gear and drawing prototypes for the wall. I'm simply just average Joe that is tired of the politicization of EVERYTHING, tired of money before fans, and tired of being sold to every second of the day. There is nothing wrong with me stepping back and saying you know what, this has gotten to the point it just isn't fun or real anymore. Fake protests. Fake owners. And a sport that was more concerned with how many minutes I could watch advertising over the actual sport.

I think half of the people that left the sport feel like I do and it will be a hard sell to get us back. To that end, the NFL may never be back to what it was. Or it may take a very long time. The other half of those people are just counter-politicking. I stopped watching during the pre-season of last year. The Dallas incident pushed me over the cliff. I did watch game one, but I knew then my heart was no longer in it. And I have not watched a game since. That pre-dates Trump saying anything. That even pre-dates SackOrPick doing his thing. Game one was after, but Dallas was before. This was just a personal feeling that had been building.

The NFL has not helped themselves in any way. Trump wins the argument because he defined what the current debate is. That's the media giving 24-7 attention to every word he says. The media plays so much into it and Trump just keeps one-upping everyone. How many media folks have been suspended or fired, how many teachers and professors? Everyone takes their shot and they just end up worse off than they were.

Anyway, the NFL made a mistake in engaging with him, but I was gone long before. I am a red blooded American and something tells me if the Niners won six straight I'd have to watch. But I'm not so sure. My heart is just empty for it right now. And it's not even sad.

It should be remembered that NFL owners are billionaires, and billionaires share many of the same agendas that Trump has.

They sent Pence to a game simply because they knew that players would kneel during the National Anthem, and that Pence would then leave. It was a political-publicity-stunt. Send the VP to a game so that he can leave the game after the players kneel during the National Anthem, then put it all over the "news" casts for political and ideology purposes. That's the only damn reason why Pence went to the game. To leave after the players kneel during the National Anthem, and to gain anti-black publicity. To stir-up shit! To divide and conquer!
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby slucero » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:45 pm

Goodell just boxed the owners in a corner.. and likely tanked their numbers for the rest of the year....

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby Memorex » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:50 pm

slucero wrote:Goodell just boxed the owners in a corner.. and likely tanked their numbers for the rest of the year....

Is this referring to the NFL not making players stand?

Making them stand is the wrong approach. It's about not protesting on company time and being respectful to the league and fans. To me, the only solution to all of this is no more kneeling. No raised fists. Sit in the locker room during the anthem if you don't like it. Simple as that. Another solution would be to stop the anthem altogether. In this politicized climate, that will lose more fans though.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby scarab » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:44 am

With Rogers out probably the whole season (sadly), will be interesting how the power rankings will be.
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby slucero » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:18 am

Memorex wrote:
slucero wrote:Goodell just boxed the owners in a corner.. and likely tanked their numbers for the rest of the year....

Is this referring to the NFL not making players stand?

Making them stand is the wrong approach. It's about not protesting on company time and being respectful to the league and fans. To me, the only solution to all of this is no more kneeling. No raised fists. Sit in the locker room during the anthem if you don't like it. Simple as that. Another solution would be to stop the anthem altogether. In this politicized climate, that will lose more fans though.

No.. do the math.

Goodell making that statement was more about him placing the problem and its reolution on the owners shoulders than him taking it on. He works for the owners, but he's also got some political power as the Comissioner. He's no idiot.

Now the owners have to make the next move regardless of what it is.

If the players really wanted to do something revolutionary, then why not make every single interview they give be ONLY about Kaperfuck's topic... this respects the flag and makes it about what Kaperfuck said he wanted in the first place... dialogue..

If the reporters or their agencies do not report the interviews.. then the players (and everyone else) can then point to the media and put the pressure on them to do their job.

Would be much more effective than this stupid flag protest, that clearly Kaperfuck did not think through clearly.

Kaperfuck's 1st action in an effort to unite the country , was to instead divide them...

This tells me he's either an idiot, or had a different agenda in the 1st place.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby Memorex » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:38 am

It is shocking how empty many of the stadiums are today. I knew the NFL would take a hit, but I did not realize how much of a hit. Granted, I think a lot of it is the teams suck.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby scarab » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:17 am

US Bank sure looked full :D

Be interested to see how full Twickenham is next Sunday. It holds 80,000+
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Fact Finder » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:30 pm

scarab wrote:US Bank sure looked full :D

Be interested to see how full Twickenham is next Sunday. It holds 80,000+

Rams and Cardinals played Twickenham yesterday and had 8,764 empty seats.
Only $5 Million more and I'll be a Greedy One Percenter.
Fact Finder
MP3

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:05 am

The NFL product just sucks and 99% of the teams outside of the Patriots, Steelers, Chiefs and uh...hmm.. Dallas? Are no good and flat out an embarrassment. It's the product more than anything when the Aaron Rodgers of the world go down. The NFL will survive politics but when it comes down to it, the product is bad overall. Rivalries are lacking and Peyton Manning isn't walking through the door anytime soon to matchup with Brady in Primetime. The NFL is now missing those storylines.
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape

Postby AR » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:15 am

I have taken a knee on the NFL. Those idiots took all the fun out of it for me.
AR is just a longtime net troll who is bored with trolling just Journey most of the time so he's looking for other places to troll and get reactions.

"StillStanding" from the karaoke Boston forum and night manager at Home Depot
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby tj » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:50 pm

AR wrote:I have taken a knee on the NFL. Those idiots took all the fun out of it for me.

I quit watching years ago. Occasionally I look at scores, but really don't care who plays or wins anymore.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby S2M » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:16 am

What a bunch of fucking snowflakes. I'm not going to watch football because players are protesting....waaaah. What's next? I'm not going to watch 'Walking Dead' because Chick-fil-A is a sponser, and they aren't open on Sundays....waaaahhhh!

Meanwhile...I'm kicking ass in the pigskin pickems! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tom Brady IS the G.O.A.T.
S2M
MP3

Postby Memorex » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:18 am

S2M wrote:What a bunch of fucking snowflakes. I'm not going to watch football because players are protesting....waaaah. What's next? I'm not going to watch 'Walking Dead' because Chick-fil-A is a sponser, and they aren't open on Sundays....waaaahhhh!

Meanwhile...I'm kicking ass in the pigskin pickems! :lol: :lol: :lol:

You may be doing well. But the nfl sure as hell isn't.

I don't know, I guess some people have standards. Others don't. That's OK. There is room for both in the world.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Previous

Return to Death By Stereo