Toto Live 8/25

All things Toto

Moderator: Andrew

Toto Live 8/25

Postby Ehwmatt » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:04 pm

I haven't gotten around to posting about the show I saw a couple weeks ago, but I got to see the band for the third time in four years after going my whole life without seeing them. The third time was truly the charm. They were really good the first time, pretty good the second time but marred a bit by a little lack of energy at the tail end of a long tour and a poor mix, and just incredible this third time. I was very concerned about Paich's absence going in, but the band was on fire. I'd much rather hear rockers these days, so it was a huge treat to hear songs like English Eyes, Lovers Tonight, and other somewhat deeper rock cuts played with tons of energy and joy. The little storytellers acoustic segment was awesome too -- just shows how versatile and talented these guys are. The only possible thing I can critique is the absence of any song from XIV in the set. I would have loved to hear Chinatown for the first time (the first two shows featured Holy War, Orphan, Runnin' Out of Time, Burn, and Great Expectations between them). (I also don't care much for their version of Hash Pipe and hated it as an encore, but I get it, so I'll give them a pass there.)

Shem and Dominique really brought the band to another level, especially in the energy and backing vocals departments. I hope Paich can make it back on the road and that it's nothing too serious (they joked that he was staying home to get penis reduction surgery, so hopefully that's a sign he's just burnt out or dealing with some relatively benign issues). But if he can't, I hope they stick with Dominique. He was great and a blast to watch.
User avatar
Ehwmatt
MP3
 
Posts: 10888
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:15 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Toto Live 8/25

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:23 pm

Ehwmatt wrote:I haven't gotten around to posting about the show I saw a couple weeks ago, but I got to see the band for the third time in four years after going my whole life without seeing them. The third time was truly the charm. They were really good the first time, pretty good the second time but marred a bit by a little lack of energy at the tail end of a long tour and a poor mix, and just incredible this third time. I was very concerned about Paich's absence going in, but the band was on fire. I'd much rather hear rockers these days, so it was a huge treat to hear songs like English Eyes, Lovers Tonight, and other somewhat deeper rock cuts played with tons of energy and joy. The little storytellers acoustic segment was awesome too -- just shows how versatile and talented these guys are. The only possible thing I can critique is the absence of any song from XIV in the set. I would have loved to hear Chinatown for the first time (the first two shows featured Holy War, Orphan, Runnin' Out of Time, Burn, and Great Expectations between them). (I also don't care much for their version of Hash Pipe and hated it as an encore, but I get it, so I'll give them a pass there.)

Shem and Dominique really brought the band to another level, especially in the energy and backing vocals departments. I hope Paich can make it back on the road and that it's nothing too serious (they joked that he was staying home to get penis reduction surgery, so hopefully that's a sign he's just burnt out or dealing with some relatively benign issues). But if he can't, I hope they stick with Dominique. He was great and a blast to watch.


Thanks for the review Matt. I'm seeing them in a few months. They have always delivered - each and every time.

Some idiot haters on YouTube don't like the new arrangement of Africa with Joe singing Dave's parts and Shem helping with Bobby's parts. How was it live?
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
MP3
 
Posts: 14193
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Re: Toto Live 8/25

Postby Ehwmatt » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:53 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Ehwmatt wrote:I haven't gotten around to posting about the show I saw a couple weeks ago, but I got to see the band for the third time in four years after going my whole life without seeing them. The third time was truly the charm. They were really good the first time, pretty good the second time but marred a bit by a little lack of energy at the tail end of a long tour and a poor mix, and just incredible this third time. I was very concerned about Paich's absence going in, but the band was on fire. I'd much rather hear rockers these days, so it was a huge treat to hear songs like English Eyes, Lovers Tonight, and other somewhat deeper rock cuts played with tons of energy and joy. The little storytellers acoustic segment was awesome too -- just shows how versatile and talented these guys are. The only possible thing I can critique is the absence of any song from XIV in the set. I would have loved to hear Chinatown for the first time (the first two shows featured Holy War, Orphan, Runnin' Out of Time, Burn, and Great Expectations between them). (I also don't care much for their version of Hash Pipe and hated it as an encore, but I get it, so I'll give them a pass there.)

Shem and Dominique really brought the band to another level, especially in the energy and backing vocals departments. I hope Paich can make it back on the road and that it's nothing too serious (they joked that he was staying home to get penis reduction surgery, so hopefully that's a sign he's just burnt out or dealing with some relatively benign issues). But if he can't, I hope they stick with Dominique. He was great and a blast to watch.


Thanks for the review Matt. I'm seeing them in a few months. They have always delivered - each and every time.

Some idiot haters on YouTube don't like the new arrangement of Africa with Joe singing Dave's parts and Shem helping with Bobby's parts. How was it live?


Africa sounded great, probably better than I've ever heard it. That said, I'm not going to a Toto concert to scientifically critique the performance of Africa. It's a song they have to play -- and a song I have to hear for the one millionth time -- and nothing more.
User avatar
Ehwmatt
MP3
 
Posts: 10888
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:15 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Toto Live 8/25

Postby NoMoreTails » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:25 pm

I'm glad to hear the show was that good with Dom filling in for Paich. I'll be seeing them on the first show of the next leg and had been hoping Dave might be back by then but I assume there would be some news by now if that were the case. I'm a big Luke fan but Dave will be missed.
NoMoreTails
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1412
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:40 am

Re: Toto Live 8/25

Postby JohnH » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:34 am

Caught the Costa Mesa show . I loved Shem in the band- he really commands the stage and his voice is terrific. They lost a lot when Nathan East left now it’s the same vibe as when he was there. It was great to hear Hungate play his own parts but neither he nor Skliar brought the vibe like Nathan. It’s back!
JohnH
8 Track
 
Posts: 715
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2003 5:48 pm
Location: Whittier, CA, 25 Miles East of LA

Re: Toto Live 8/25

Postby Ehwmatt » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:41 pm

JohnH wrote:Caught the Costa Mesa show . I loved Shem in the band- he really commands the stage and his voice is terrific. They lost a lot when Nathan East left now it’s the same vibe as when he was there. It was great to hear Hungate play his own parts but neither he nor Skliar brought the vibe like Nathan. It’s back!


Shem is a hell of a musician. I recently caught the David Pack-less Ambrosia, who I'd last seen about seven years ago when Shem was with them. They were quite good at that time. This time around, it was unbelievable how much worse Ambrosia was without Shem. They had some dude who supposedly played with Elton and some other big names, but the guy's voice was thin and his stage presence was distracting and all wrong for that band.
User avatar
Ehwmatt
MP3
 
Posts: 10888
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:15 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Toto Live 8/25

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:32 pm

Appreciate the reviews guys. I'm seeing them in a few weeks.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
MP3
 
Posts: 14193
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Re: Toto Live 8/25

Postby Ehwmatt » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:41 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Appreciate the reviews guys. I'm seeing them in a few weeks.


TNC -- see the show yet? If so, thoughts?
User avatar
Ehwmatt
MP3
 
Posts: 10888
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:15 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Toto Live 8/25

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:07 am

Ehwmatt wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:Appreciate the reviews guys. I'm seeing them in a few weeks.


TNC -- see the show yet? If so, thoughts?


Not yet. November 15th. In NJ. 6th row.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
MP3
 
Posts: 14193
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Re: Toto Live 8/25

Postby Ehwmatt » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:17 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Ehwmatt wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:Appreciate the reviews guys. I'm seeing them in a few weeks.


TNC -- see the show yet? If so, thoughts?


Not yet. November 15th. In NJ. 6th row.


Got it. Looking forward to your review/thoughts.
User avatar
Ehwmatt
MP3
 
Posts: 10888
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:15 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Toto Live 8/25

Postby WalrusOct9 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:00 pm

Kind of surprised Dave isn't back yet. Hope he's okay. :?
-Steve C.
User avatar
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1441
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2002 1:13 pm
Location: Nashville

Re: Toto Live 8/25

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:58 pm

WalrusOct9 wrote:Kind of surprised Dave isn't back yet. Hope he's okay. :?


I'm really not surprised. Didn't the press release say he was sitting out the entire leg of the tour?
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
MP3
 
Posts: 14193
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Re: Toto Live 8/25

Postby Ehwmatt » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:08 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
WalrusOct9 wrote:Kind of surprised Dave isn't back yet. Hope he's okay. :?


I'm really not surprised. Didn't the press release say he was sitting out the entire leg of the tour?


For what it's worth, they were cracking jokes about Dave's absence at the Cleveland show. Something about his huge dick requiring him to sit out. But I think they cracked light-hearted jokes about Mike's absence early on too, so who knows. Really hope he's okay/just tired.
User avatar
Ehwmatt
MP3
 
Posts: 10888
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:15 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Toto Live 8/25

Postby RumTumJM » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:58 am

Since I work in the radio (in NYC), I actually got to speak to Luke, when he was promoting his book. Since he's such a cool guy, he actually opened up a bit about Paich's condition when I asked how Dave was doing.

Now, while I don't think it's my place to repeat the specifics, what Luke told me really was conducive with the statement/explanation that the band released. Basically, and this is my own words, Dave started having a tough time on the road & needs to spend some time away from it.

What I will say is that Luke made it VERY CLEAR that Paich's issues DON'T have anything to do with alcohol or drugs.
User avatar
RumTumJM
45 RPM
 
Posts: 378
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:24 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Toto Live 8/25

Postby Ehwmatt » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:01 am

RumTumJM wrote:Since I work in the radio (in NYC), I actually got to speak to Luke, when he was promoting his book. Since he's such a cool guy, he actually opened up a bit about Paich's condition when I asked how Dave was doing.

Now, while I don't think it's my place to repeat the specifics, what Luke told me really was conducive with the statement/explanation that the band released. Basically, and this is my own words, Dave started having a tough time on the road & needs to spend some time away from it.

What I will say is that Luke made it VERY CLEAR that Paich's issues DON'T have anything to do with alcohol or drugs.


Thanks for the explanation. Sounds good, overall. Glad to hear it's not a serious physical illness or anything like that.
User avatar
Ehwmatt
MP3
 
Posts: 10888
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:15 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Toto Live 8/25

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:25 pm

Ehwmatt wrote:Got it. Looking forward to your review/thoughts.


Couldn't make it due to the snow. According to someone who was there, the venue was very lightly attended. Poor decision by venue not to cancel. The venue is now blaming the band. Morristown NJ police instructed all motorists to stay off the roads. Several of those who attempted to make it either had to turn around or got stuck. Not a good situation all around.

UPDATE: Lukather has addressed last night's show and says blame the promoters/venues. I never believed the venue when they pinned it on the band, saying it was TOTO's decision to go on in the middle of a Nor'easter. Bullshit!
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
MP3
 
Posts: 14193
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca


Return to Toto

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests