Rolling Stone review of Traces

Strange Talking Street Medicine

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Rolling Stone review of Traces

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:50 am

"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Re: Rolling Stone review of Traces

Postby perryfan61 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:19 am

His songs are"Too cloying for their own good"??!! Not surprised that RS didn't have much good to say, it never did like his music.

I'm surprised they even mentioned his new album. At least they admit his voice is not bad for his age :D :D :D
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby tedpruitt » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:24 am

Yeah - it's RS (which is little more than a pamphlet now) - so when factoring that in - it's practically a glowing review...
tedpruitt
Ol' 78

Postby scarab » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:30 am

I dont think Any Journey album with PErry got more than one star. Street Talk was lucky enough to get 2.5.
I believe Dream After Dream got 2 though.

So 3/5 is pretty high praise for a band/artist they hate.
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby tater1977 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:51 pm

Andy Greene @greeneandy
2 minutes ago
https://twitter.com/greeneandy/status/1 ... 8815007744

- re/ his Rolling Stone article he wrote

'Steve Perry sat down with me to talk about his bitter departure from Journey, why a reunion is not in the cards, his years in exile and his comeback album Traces.'
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:41 am

tater1977 wrote:Andy Greene @greeneandy
2 minutes ago

'Steve Perry sat down with me to talk about his bitter departure from Journey, why a reunion is not in the cards, his years in exile and his comeback album Traces.'

Great interview. Also should put to rest Neal's constant social media talk of reuniting. Wonder why the mere mention of Jonathan's book made Perry look disgusted. I guess no love lost between them either.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Art Vandelay » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:50 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
tater1977 wrote:Andy Greene @greeneandy
2 minutes ago

Great interview. Also should put to rest Neal's constant social media talk of reuniting. Wonder why the mere mention of Jonathan's book made Perry look disgusted. I guess no love lost between them either.

That was a great read. People just need to let sleeping dogs lie. We're in a world now where we have new music from Steve Perry with possibly more on the way (he built a studio in his house, for Christ's sake!), and some form of Neal Schon and Journey playing the hits (and possibly the deeper cuts) annually. Why rock the boat? Let's enjoy what we have.
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby Scarab Pilot » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:58 am

Seems like he's still mad at Neal and Jon. I understand it seems like Neal is really laying it on heavy to do something with Steve and I can see why Steve would want to avoid that potential mess. I'm not sure how much sincerity Steve can derive from second and third hand statements from a reporter.

I dunno, the RS article kind of tainted things for me. I'm glad he's back, glad he's singing and living life. At some point you have to let the past go. Maybe I've read too many articles and interviews where I am hearing the same themes over and over again. We've all lost loved ones. He's not the first and won't be the last to be touched by the loss of loved ones. Whether you're an only child or a child from a large family - loss is loss. It's part of the deal.

Every day above ground is a blessing. It's one more the dead don't get to have. Maybe thats the point of Traces and him finally getting back in the saddle again. I wish him the best and hope we see and hear more from him in the future.
"Well let me tell you what problems Steve Perry has. The only problem Steve Perry has is that he's alive just like you are and he has to wake up in the morning like you do and he has to face the world exactly like you do. " ~ Steve Perry
Scarab Pilot
LP

Postby jrny84 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:10 am

Great read.

Some things I gathered from article:

1. I don't think Neal is going to get that cup of coffee lol. It seems Perry doesn't even want go there with Neal, because it will have the appearance of reuniting with Journey and possibly bring back old wounds/memories. It sounds like Steve thinks Neal is just interested in a reconciliation for "work" purposes. Seems to still have some deep seeded wounds with Neal and John.

2. He's not a fan of Cain's book. I haven't read it. Does John have bad words for Steve in the book? I wonder what the story is behind this?

3. Reading about Steve visiting his mother's grave and then sitting in front of his childhood home crying his eyes out. Man, what a tearjerker. This guy is one of the most grounded, real people in the music business. So cool to see him open up about real emotions everyone faces.
jrny84
Cassette Tape

Postby Art Vandelay » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:50 am

Something to keep in mind is that we don't know how the interview process went. The interviewer could have been chiding him about Journey way more than was necessary, which may have flustered Steve a bit. Could be that they poked and prodded until they got the response that they wanted.
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby Scarab Pilot » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:02 am

Art Vandelay wrote:Something to keep in mind is that we don't know how the interview process went. The interviewer could have been chiding him about Journey way more than was necessary, which may have flustered Steve a bit. Could be that they poked and prodded until they got the response that they wanted.

Thats a good point.
"Well let me tell you what problems Steve Perry has. The only problem Steve Perry has is that he's alive just like you are and he has to wake up in the morning like you do and he has to face the world exactly like you do. " ~ Steve Perry
Scarab Pilot
LP

Postby Greg » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:04 am

Art Vandelay wrote:Something to keep in mind is that we don't know how the interview process went. The interviewer could have been chiding him about Journey way more than was necessary, which may have flustered Steve a bit. Could be that they poked and prodded until they got the response that they wanted.

Was going to say, if you've watched and read any of his other interviews, they all followed the same script of questions and answers. Very positive, very safe. Just revealing enough. But, this interview obviously didn't follow the same formula. There's still bad blood between Perry and Schon & Cain. No reunion will happen. But ya know, that's OK. I'm just fine with Perry continuing to put out solo stuff while Neal gets the Journey Through Time thing going. To me, that's more choices. An opportunity to possibly hear Steve Perry sing Journey stuff in concert again is what I hope for, and to also have Neal getting Journey Through Time touring as well....I'm OK with that.
Greg
Cassette Tape

Return to Steve Perry