Steve Perry 2018/19 Setlist

Strange Talking Street Medicine

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Steve Perry 2018/19 Setlist

Postby ScarabFan » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:00 am

Some recent interviews have addressed the possibility of a tour. Who knows if it will happen, but I got thinking what the setlist would look like if he did.

You figure he'll want to include 3-5 songs from Traces, his other solo hits, and Journey's bigger hits that are more within his range nowadays. Here's what I envisioned:

No Erasin
Sun Shines Gray
Girl Can't Help It
Lights
When You Love A Woman
Oh Sherrie
Open Arms
Missing You
Foolish Heart
No More Cryin
Easy To Love
I’ll Be Alright Without You
Wheel In The Sky
Any Way You Want It
Don't Stop Believin

Encore:
Separate Ways
Faithfully


What does your set look like?
ScarabFan
Ol' 78
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:07 pm

Re: Steve Perry 2018/19 Setlist

Postby shaneslatts » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:15 am

Just like that.
shaneslatts
Ol' 78
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:02 am

Re: Steve Perry 2018/19 Setlist

Postby shaneslatts » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:25 am

shaneslatts wrote:Just like that.


Add October in New York
shaneslatts
Ol' 78
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:02 am

Re: Steve Perry 2018/19 Setlist

Postby ScarabFan » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:28 am

shaneslatts wrote:
shaneslatts wrote:Just like that.


Add October in New York


I thought about Angel Eyes, as I think that would sound great live, but I'm not accustomed to seeing bands perform bonus tracks in a live setting. It's an excellent song though. In my opinion, it should be part of the core ten.
ScarabFan
Ol' 78
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:07 pm

Re: Steve Perry 2018/19 Setlist

Postby Sighlence » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:59 am

ScarabFan wrote:Some recent interviews have addressed the possibility of a tour. Who knows if it will happen, but I got thinking what the setlist would look like if he did.

You figure he'll want to include 3-5 songs from Traces, his other solo hits, and Journey's bigger hits that are more within his range nowadays. Here's what I envisioned:

No Erasin
Sun Shines Gray
Girl Can't Help It
Lights
When You Love A Woman
Oh Sherrie
Open Arms
Missing You
Foolish Heart
No More Cryin
Easy To Love
I’ll Be Alright Without You
Wheel In The Sky
Any Way You Want It
Don't Stop Believin

Encore:
Separate Ways
Faithfully


What does your set look like?


Killer set list. I'd pay good money to see that.
Sighlence
Ol' 78
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:47 am

Re: Steve Perry 2018/19 Setlist

Postby scarab » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:32 pm

Sighlence wrote:
ScarabFan wrote:Some recent interviews have addressed the possibility of a tour. Who knows if it will happen, but I got thinking what the setlist would look like if he did.

You figure he'll want to include 3-5 songs from Traces, his other solo hits, and Journey's bigger hits that are more within his range nowadays. Here's what I envisioned:

No Erasin
Sun Shines Gray
Girl Can't Help It
Lights
When You Love A Woman
Oh Sherrie
Open Arms
Missing You
Foolish Heart
No More Cryin
Easy To Love
I’ll Be Alright Without You
Wheel In The Sky
Any Way You Want It
Don't Stop Believin

Encore:
Separate Ways
Faithfully


What does your set look like?


Killer set list. I'd pay good money to see that.


Great setlist and if he could pull off Separate Ways would be frosting on the cake,

like said before with all the background vocals (his own), hes gonna need a choir behind him.
think he will "dedicate" lights to Schon? :wink:
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
User avatar
scarab
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1838
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:57 am
Location: Pigs Eye, MN

Re: Steve Perry 2018/19 Setlist

Postby jrny84 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:33 pm

Good list. I'd take out "No More Cryin" and add "Were Still Here". I'd really like to hear Steve perform "You Better Wait" too. So many songs to choose from!

Really like the fact that you included the ROR songs "Girl Cant Help It" and "Ill Be Alright Without You." Two of my favorites.

Also, "When you love a Woman" is a great one. Should always be in the setlist.
User avatar
jrny84
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1067
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:43 am
Location: Michigan/Florida

Re: Steve Perry 2018/19 Setlist

Postby ScarabFan » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:38 pm

scarab wrote:
Sighlence wrote:
ScarabFan wrote:Some recent interviews have addressed the possibility of a tour. Who knows if it will happen, but I got thinking what the setlist would look like if he did.

You figure he'll want to include 3-5 songs from Traces, his other solo hits, and Journey's bigger hits that are more within his range nowadays. Here's what I envisioned:

No Erasin
Sun Shines Gray
Girl Can't Help It
Lights
When You Love A Woman
Oh Sherrie
Open Arms
Missing You
Foolish Heart
No More Cryin
Easy To Love
I’ll Be Alright Without You
Wheel In The Sky
Any Way You Want It
Don't Stop Believin

Encore:
Separate Ways
Faithfully


What does your set look like?


Killer set list. I'd pay good money to see that.


Great setlist and if he could pull off Separate Ways would be frosting on the cake,

like said before with all the background vocals (his own), hes gonna need a choir behind him.
think he will "dedicate" lights to Schon? :wink:


No, but I bet he'll say it's really about LA! :D
ScarabFan
Ol' 78
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:07 pm

Re: Steve Perry 2018/19 Setlist

Postby ScarabFan » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:39 pm

jrny84 wrote:Good list. I'd take out "No More Cryin" and add "Were Still Here". I'd really like to hear Steve perform "You Better Wait" too. So many songs to choose from!

Really like the fact that you included the ROR songs "Girl Cant Help It" and "Ill Be Alright Without You." Two of my favorites.

Also, "When you love a Woman" is a great one. Should always be in the setlist.


Personally, I would much rather hear We're Still Here instead of No More Cryin. What a great song!
ScarabFan
Ol' 78
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:07 pm

Re: Steve Perry 2018/19 Setlist

Postby slucero » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:25 pm

I think people need to be aware of Perry's current vocal limitations.. because if he could... he would have pushed those limits in the studio with Traces... so any live setlist will likely have to have songs that fit this.

More importantly, on Perry's GMG interview he was asked if he'd ever consider reuniting with Journey. His answer:

"I can only answer that question with the truth -- that I love going forward," he says. "I love going to the edge of what's next."


In his Rollingstone interview, he's even more direct.
Perry claims to feel no bitterness toward anyone in the band, even though he’s seen the members only twice, and briefly at that, in the past 20 years, and has rebuffed attempts to reconnect on a social level. Guitarist Neal Schon seems desperate for some sort of reconciliation and often tells interviewers he wants to create new music with Perry — not even necessarily for Journey. Schon has heard that Perry frequents his favorite coffee shop, and the guitarist hopes to run into the singer there. Pressed on this,

Perry says he can’t imagine working with Schon in any capacity or even re-establishing the friendship.

“I’m not sure that’s possible without stirring up hopes of a reunion,” he says. “Please listen to me. I left the band 31 fucking years ago, my friend. You can still love someone, but not want to work with them. And if they only love you because they want to work with you, that doesn’t feel good to me.”


For Perry...Schon is THE PAST. That means Journey is the past. He's done with both.

He also knows diehard, "Perry is Journey" fans will want the over-the-top Journey production/vocals of the records... But I think Perry will not do that. He won't make Journey songs the centerpiece of his shows. He'll want his new music to be that. The question is how to do them in a way that respects the legacy he wants to preserve, fits his voice now, and moves everyone forward.

Instead, I could see him having an acoustic segment in the middle of his set where he does Open Arms/Faithfully/etc., arranged in a way that honors those songs and his time in Journey... and in an acoustic segment they are properly respected, yet put in their proper place, in the past. This effectively and respectfully forces and moves his fans forward, to what's next... a Perry that is back, but not going back to Journey.

The other thing is that Traces is Perry keeping a promise he made to Kellie. Traces is for Perry and Kellie... not the fans. NOT him finally hearing and conceding to his fans imploring him to return. If that were the case.. he would have done so looooong ago... people need to wrap their skulls around that.

And at 70 years old, there's a good likelihood Traces is a "one and done" deal for Perry.


People need to get OK with that.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.


~Albert Einstein
User avatar
slucero
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5444
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:17 pm

Re: Steve Perry 2018/19 Setlist

Postby St.George » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:37 am

slucero wrote:I think people need to be aware of Perry's current vocal limitations.. because if he could... he would have pushed those limits in the studio with Traces... so any live setlist will likely have to have songs that fit this.

More importantly, on Perry's GMG interview he was asked if he'd ever consider reuniting with Journey. His answer:

"I can only answer that question with the truth -- that I love going forward," he says. "I love going to the edge of what's next."


In his Rollingstone interview, he's even more direct.
Perry claims to feel no bitterness toward anyone in the band, even though he’s seen the members only twice, and briefly at that, in the past 20 years, and has rebuffed attempts to reconnect on a social level. Guitarist Neal Schon seems desperate for some sort of reconciliation and often tells interviewers he wants to create new music with Perry — not even necessarily for Journey. Schon has heard that Perry frequents his favorite coffee shop, and the guitarist hopes to run into the singer there. Pressed on this,

Perry says he can’t imagine working with Schon in any capacity or even re-establishing the friendship.

“I’m not sure that’s possible without stirring up hopes of a reunion,” he says. “Please listen to me. I left the band 31 fucking years ago, my friend. You can still love someone, but not want to work with them. And if they only love you because they want to work with you, that doesn’t feel good to me.”


For Perry...Schon is THE PAST. That means Journey is the past. He's done with both.

He also knows diehard, "Perry is Journey" fans will want the over-the-top Journey production/vocals of the records... But I think Perry will not do that. He won't make Journey songs the centerpiece of his shows. He'll want his new music to be that. The question is how to do them in a way that respects the legacy he wants to preserve, fits his voice now, and moves everyone forward.

Instead, I could see him having an acoustic segment in the middle of his set where he does Open Arms/Faithfully/etc., arranged in a way that honors those songs and his time in Journey... and in an acoustic segment they are properly respected, yet put in their proper place, in the past. This effectively and respectfully forces and moves his fans forward, to what's next... a Perry that is back, but not going back to Journey.

The other thing is that Traces is Perry keeping a promise he made to Kellie. Traces is for Perry and Kellie... not the fans. NOT him finally hearing and conceding to his fans imploring him to return. If that were the case.. he would have done so looooong ago... people need to wrap their skulls around that.

And at 70 years old, there's a good likelihood Traces is a "one and done" deal for Perry.


People need to get OK with that.


Image
User avatar
St.George
Ol' 78
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2002 9:59 pm

Re: Steve Perry 2018/19 Setlist

Postby perryfan61 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:07 pm

jrny84 wrote:Good list. I'd take out "No More Cryin" and add "Were Still Here". I'd really like to hear Steve perform "You Better Wait" too. So many songs to choose from!

Really like the fact that you included the ROR songs "Girl Cant Help It" and "Ill Be Alright Without You." Two of my favorites.

Also, "When you love a Woman" is a great one. Should always be in the setlist.


I agree, We're Still Here should definitely be on there.
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
User avatar
perryfan61
8 Track
 
Posts: 879
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:46 am
Location: New Brunswick. Canada

Re: Steve Perry 2018/19 Setlist

Postby Pacfanweb » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:16 pm

ScarabFan wrote:Some recent interviews have addressed the possibility of a tour. Who knows if it will happen, but I got thinking what the setlist would look like if he did.

You figure he'll want to include 3-5 songs from Traces, his other solo hits, and Journey's bigger hits that are more within his range nowadays. Here's what I envisioned:

No Erasin
Sun Shines Gray
Girl Can't Help It
Lights
When You Love A Woman
Oh Sherrie
Open Arms
Missing You
Foolish Heart
No More Cryin
Easy To Love
I’ll Be Alright Without You
Wheel In The Sky
Any Way You Want It
Don't Stop Believin

Encore:
Separate Ways
Faithfully


What does your set look like?

I'll take most of this, but here's my changes:

Still They Ride for Open Arms. He can't do Open Arms anymore, voice is too low. Sounded terrible with the Eels. I think Still They Ride might do okay with his current voice.

Cupid for Any Way You Want It. I think he'll want to do a Sam Cooke song.

I'm cool with the rest of it, but hope he works up a few more old songs to move in and out of the set.
Pacfanweb
45 RPM
 
Posts: 301
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:20 am


Return to Steve Perry

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron