Traces

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Re: Traces

Postby scarab » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:58 am

shaneslatts wrote:
scarab wrote:One night in 2014 we're sitting here and someone puts up a fair quality cell phone video of Perry singing in of all places Minneapolis.

It was Saint Paul :lol:

But his first interviews for Traces were in MPLS.

Wonder if he has a connection to the Twin Cities?

Know what? On my way home from work it hit me that Perry performed in St.Paul, not Minneapolis.
I was like someone will get me on this.
I've been made fun of which maybe means I'm accepted?
Love this Place. :D

Sorry for the jab, its just that I was born and raised in East Saint Paul, which is an actual place, unlike South Detroit. :lol:
I can see downtown from my bluff over the Mississippi over Pigs Eye Lake.
For me Saint Paul will always be Pigs Eye, its original name.
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby RedWingFan » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:43 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Scarab Pilot wrote: Could we be something again (bonus, although the " Do you want a little Yah Yah" seemed like silly lyrics),

A little silly, but also trademark Perry. Reminds me of Na Na Na on LTS. Should have been on the regular release.

My favorite part of the song. Especially when he rips the 1st "Do you wanna love again baby?"
My least favorite tracks are October and Blue Jays. I know they're tied to his loss but the remaining 13 tracks in a different order would have been killer. Love this release though. "You Belong to Me" being my favorite. My brother has been listening to it on spotty and loves the 10 tracks he's heard. He wasn't a big fan of Strange Medicine.
Seven Wishes wrote:"Abysmal? He's the most proactive President since Clinton, and he's bringing much-needed change for the better to a nation that has been tyrannized by the worst President since Hoover."- 7 Wishes on Pres. Obama
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape

Postby shaneslatts » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:41 pm

scarab wrote:
shaneslatts wrote:
scarab wrote:One night in 2014 we're sitting here and someone puts up a fair quality cell phone video of Perry singing in of all places Minneapolis.

It was Saint Paul :lol:

But his first interviews for Traces were in MPLS.

Wonder if he has a connection to the Twin Cities?

Know what? On my way home from work it hit me that Perry performed in St.Paul, not Minneapolis.
I was like someone will get me on this.
I've been made fun of which maybe means I'm accepted?
Love this Place. :D

Sorry for the jab, its just that I was born and raised in East Saint Paul, which is an actual place, unlike South Detroit. :lol:
I can see downtown from my bluff over the Mississippi over Pigs Eye Lake.
For me Saint Paul will always be Pigs Eye, its original name.

Nah...
Didn't take it as a jab.
Took it as a compliment...Cause if you ain't jabbed here, it means you're probably an ass hole, so, in some strange way, I feel very un -assholish like tonight.
Anyway,I loved the whole album.
I really mean that. These songs, all of them speak to me from an inner core thing I can't fully explain.
shaneslatts
Ol' 78

Postby Loneman1 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:39 am

I'm finding I'm loving the album after quite a few listens. There are a couple tracks that I will likely skip over as time goes on, but its a pretty solid album IMO. Obviously you gotta look at the context about the kind of mourning songs, but while I thought they would detract from the album flow initially, I'm feeling them starting to fit in a bit better over time.

Hope he tours......I'm not gonna say it'll never happen because this guy was locked up alone in his castle on the hill for 20+ years counting his millions, then surprised the hell out of everyone with a new album, webpage, social media, and videos completely out of nowhere so who the hell knows what the guy may do!! :lol:
Rock on,
Eric
Loneman1
LP

Postby shaneslatts » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:30 pm

Loneman1 wrote:I'm finding I'm loving the album after quite a few listens. There are a couple tracks that I will likely skip over as time goes on, but its a pretty solid album IMO. Obviously you gotta look at the context about the kind of mourning songs, but while I thought they would detract from the album flow initially, I'm feeling them starting to fit in a bit better over time.

Hope he tours......I'm not gonna say it'll never happen because this guy was locked up alone in his castle on the hill for 20+ years counting his millions, then surprised the hell out of everyone with a new album, webpage, social media, and videos completely out of nowhere so who the hell knows what the guy may do!! :lol:

If there is one completly unpredictable person in the Music Indusrty it;s Sreve Perry.

If he doesn't have tour dates lined up, I'm sure he could line them up quickly.
I also think this album is Grammy Worthy.
I ( for once) disagree with "TNC".
i Think from a Survivors viewpoint, the Album is sequened vey well.
shaneslatts
Ol' 78

Postby MotherCitay » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:17 am

shaneslatts wrote:I also think this album is Grammy Worthy.

From what I've read, only music released by Sep 30 2018 will be eligible for a 2019 Grammy.

So the 3 singles released by then - No Erasin', No More Cryin' and We Still Here could get a nod.

But the entire album released Oct 5 will have to wait till 2020.

That's my understanding anyway.
MotherCitay
45 RPM

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:08 pm

shaneslatts wrote:If he doesn't have tour dates lined up, I'm sure he could line them up quickly.

I'm truly glad you like it. After listening to it for two weeks, I have moved on to other material. I think the best part of Traces was the cover art. That's a problem.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby JourneyHard » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:36 am

There is probably a 50% chance Perry will tour. He could do a thirty-city tour in three months and only have to perform twice a week. That wouldn't give him time to rest his vocals. Since he would tour alone and not on a double bill, he would perform more songs than Journey has done being on a double bill with everybody and their uncle.

Here is his realistic set list:
1. Separate Ways
2. Any Way You Want It
3. Stone In Love
4. When I Think Of You (I think he would want to do this one.)
5. Girl Can't Help It
6. Lights
7. Be Good To Yourself
8. Send Her My Love
9. You Better Wait
10. No Erasin'
11. We're Still Here
12. I Stand Alone
13. October In New York (Or In The Rain or We Fly. One of his new ballads.)
14. No More Cryin'
15. Sun Shines Gray
16. Oh Sherrie
17. Wheel In The Sky
18. Lovin, Touchin, Squeezin
19. Who's Cryin Now
20. (Surprise Journey Rocker. On his last tour, he did Dixie Highway. So it could be anything that rocks!)
21. Faithfully
22. Don't Stop Believin
JourneyHard
8 Track

Postby Scarab Pilot » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:04 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
shaneslatts wrote:If he doesn't have tour dates lined up, I'm sure he could line them up quickly.

I'm truly glad you like it. After listening to it for two weeks, I have moved on to other material. I think the best part of Traces was the cover art. That's a problem.

OK, so I am not the only one.
"Well let me tell you what problems Steve Perry has. The only problem Steve Perry has is that he's alive just like you are and he has to wake up in the morning like you do and he has to face the world exactly like you do. " ~ Steve Perry
Scarab Pilot
LP

Postby ScarabFan » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:37 am

JourneyHard wrote:There is probably a 50% chance Perry will tour. He could do a thirty-city tour in three months and only have to perform twice a week. That wouldn't give him time to rest his vocals. Since he would tour alone and not on a double bill, he would perform more songs than Journey has done being on a double bill with everybody and their uncle.

1. Separate Ways
2. Any Way You Want It
3. Stone In Love
5. Girl Can't Help It
6. Lights
7. Be Good To Yourself
8. Send Her My Love
9. You Better Wait
10. No Erasin'
11. We're Still Here
12. I Stand Alone
14. No More Cryin'
15. Sun Shines Gray
16. Oh Sherrie
17. Wheel In The Sky
19. Who's Cryin Now
20. (Surprise Journey Rocker. On his last tour, he did Dixie Highway. So it could be anything that rocks!)
21. Faithfully
22. Don't Stop Believin

Here's what I could see happening

No Erasin
Sun Shines Gray
Girl Can't Help It
Lights
When You Love A Woman
Oh Sherrie
Open Arms
Missing You
Foolish Heart
No More Cryin
Easy To Love
I’ll Be Alright Without You
Wheel In The Sky
Any Way You Want It
Don't Stop Believin

Encore:
Separate Ways
Faithfully
ScarabFan
Ol' 78

Postby jrny84 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:05 am

ScarabFan wrote:
JourneyHard wrote:There is probably a 50% chance Perry will tour. He could do a thirty-city tour in three months and only have to perform twice a week. That wouldn't give him time to rest his vocals. Since he would tour alone and not on a double bill, he would perform more songs than Journey has done being on a double bill with everybody and their uncle.

1. Separate Ways
2. Any Way You Want It
3. Stone In Love
5. Girl Can't Help It
6. Lights
7. Be Good To Yourself
8. Send Her My Love
9. You Better Wait
10. No Erasin'
11. We're Still Here
12. I Stand Alone
14. No More Cryin'
15. Sun Shines Gray
16. Oh Sherrie
17. Wheel In The Sky
19. Who's Cryin Now
21. Faithfully
22. Don't Stop Believin

No Erasin
Sun Shines Gray
Girl Can't Help It
Lights
When You Love A Woman
Oh Sherrie
Open Arms
Missing You
Foolish Heart
No More Cryin
Easy To Love
Wheel In The Sky
Any Way You Want It
Don't Stop Believin

Encore:
Separate Ways
Faithfully

I would take out "No More Cryin" and put "Were Still Here". Other than that, great set list.
jrny84
Cassette Tape

Postby Lora » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:46 am

JourneyHard wrote:I enjoy all 15 tracks on Traces. Steve Perry put his heart out there and sang all these songs with great emotion.

Question: Who is laughing on Call on Me? Is that Kellie Nash?

Yes, it is Kellie and you can also hear Steve laughing in there, too.
Lora
8 Track

Postby ADALBL » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:46 am

I more I listen to Traces the more I like it. I keep hearing new layers and emotions in these songs. The attention to detail in the performances, production and arrangements is so much better than most of what gets released these day and Steve’s vocals are just amazing. Plus I do believe he will release more music in the future which is very exciting!
ADALBL
Ol' 78

Postby shaneslatts » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:58 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:

I'm truly glad to have your respect.
I really mean that.
TBH, I have always been more of a Steve Perry fan than Journey, as odd as that sounds.
I've always been a sucker for darker, sad kind of music.
Having had stage 4 cancer myself.. maybe that prejudiced my opinion....I really can't say, but I listen to this CD nearly every day.
Sometimes it makes me happy, Sometimes depressed. Maybe it depends on my mood that day.
I do know all my friends love it, and if he toured, I'd go see him.. and if you went, I'd love to meet you!
shaneslatts
Ol' 78

Postby shaneslatts » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:14 pm

jrny84 wrote:
ScarabFan wrote:

1. Separate Ways
2. Any Way You Want It
3. Stone In Love
5. Girl Can't Help It
6. Lights
7. Be Good To Yourself
8. Send Her My Love
9. You Better Wait
10. No Erasin'
11. We're Still Here
12. I Stand Alone
14. No More Cryin'
15. Sun Shines Gray
16. Oh Sherrie
17. Wheel In The Sky
19. Who's Cryin Now
21. Faithfully
22. Don't Stop Believin

No Erasin
Sun Shines Gray
Girl Can't Help It
Lights
When You Love A Woman
Oh Sherrie
Open Arms
Missing You
Foolish Heart
No More Cryin
Easy To Love
Wheel In The Sky
Any Way You Want It
Don't Stop Believin

Encore:
Separate Ways
Faithfully

I would take out "No More Cryin" and put "Were Still Here". Other than that, great set list.

I agree.
If he does tour, that'd be a great set list.
Hope if he does a tour, he hits the Florida Theatre.
It's a very good place and very intimate.
I'm going there in December to see Ghost.
shaneslatts
Ol' 78

Postby RPM » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:37 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:

Good to hear an honest personal review even if not favorable.... after a few weeks I keep playing "Were Still Here"
Love it.....was your disappointment more in the songs themselves or his voice?
"Remember Suzanne, those summer nights, those summer nights with me"
RPM
Cassette Tape

Postby r@y » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:21 pm

Scarab Pilot wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:

OK, so I am not the only one.

Nope, you guys aren't the only ones. I've also stopped for the moment after 3 weeks really listening to each and every track.

After the initial euphoria of listening to new material by Perry after 2 decades wore off, sadly, I'm left with a very 'light and fluffy' album sonically, and mood downer lyrically. And I don't blame him for the tone and mood....I can't even imagine what he has been through the last few years dealing with pain and loss. So I get that, I do.

But the record has just too many slow songs ( and if I hear another comment about Sun Shines Grey being a 'rocker'........) and its just not my cup of tea unfortunately. I mean, just the guitar tone....it was like....identical for EACH and every track (obviously except October in New York), just too light and no bite. Easy guitar is fine, I love the groove of Could Be Something great track. But not for 8,9 tracks over. He could have literally got ANY cat in LA to come and play i.e. Landau, Thompson or even Luke to sit in a couple of tracks. I think Luke could have taken Sun Shines Gray up another notch.

Sorry, got to tell it like it is. I'm thankful for this record, I truly am. But there's only so much his amazing voice and carry me thru 15 songs that all about sound similar in feel. Maybe he should have just had a limited release of 5, 6 tracks or something. I don't know.

Would I still buy new material from Perry ? HELL YES. Every time. Any time.
In the land of the pigs, the butcher is King..!
r@y
LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:32 am

RPM wrote:Love it.....was your disappointment more in the songs themselves or his voice?

Neither. The songs taken individually are fine. Some feel like demos, but that's ok. The main issue for me is the sequencing. Too many similar songs one after another. The balladry needed to be broken up with some of the bonus tracks. That would have helped. We used to joke on this forum how Strange Medicine is a depressing album. Compared to Traces, Strange Medicine looks like Escape. Overall, Traces is just not an album I will return to very much. Trial By Fire had alot of ballads, but at least those has some interesting orchestration or a Cain keyboard part. These songs are stripped down and very plain. There's just not much here to hold my interest.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:38 am

r@y wrote: Easy guitar is fine, I love the groove of Could Be Something great track.

Yup. But not even on the regular release. Could We Be Something Again is available only as a bonus track. The album sequencing is trash.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby RedWingFan » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:46 am

Lora wrote:
JourneyHard wrote:I enjoy all 15 tracks on Traces. Steve Perry put his heart out there and sang all these songs with great emotion.

Question: Who is laughing on Call on Me? Is that Kellie Nash?

Yes, it is Kellie and you can also hear Steve laughing in there, too.

Every time I hear it, it makes me smile. Every time.
Seven Wishes wrote:"Abysmal? He's the most proactive President since Clinton, and he's bringing much-needed change for the better to a nation that has been tyrannized by the worst President since Hoover."- 7 Wishes on Pres. Obama
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape

Postby JourneyHard » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:16 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
r@y wrote: Easy guitar is fine, I love the groove of Could Be Something great track.

Yup. But not even on the regular release. Could We Be Something Again is available only as a bonus track. The album sequencing is trash.

I am guessing Target had some input on which songs made the regular album and which ones were bonus tracks. I love all 15 tracks, but some are better than others. Target wanted some hidden gems in their bonus five.

Speaking of treasures, the small boy asked Steve Perry, "Where is the treasure hidden?"

Steve Perry answered, "In the yard by the tree."
JourneyHard
8 Track

Postby JourneyHard » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:49 am

If this were the early 1980's, Traces' track list would be:
1. No Erasin'
2. We're Still Here
3. Most Of All
4. No More Cryin'
5. In The Rain
6. Sun Shines Gray
7. Easy To Love
8. Angel Eyes
9. Call on Me
10. Could We Be Somethin' Again

Then the .45 singles would be:
1. Side A: No Erasin' Side B: You Belong To Me
2. Side A: We're Still Here Side B: I Need You
3. Side A: Most Of All Side B: October In New York
4. Side A: No More Cryin' Side B: We Fly
5. Side A: Sun Shines Gray Side B: Blue Jays Fly
JourneyHard
8 Track

Postby SoonerThunder » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:27 am

No Erasin must be getting some radio play, because I’m sitting here at the dentist and it’s on
SoonerThunder
Ol' 78

Postby Gideon » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:01 am

It’s funny how life experiences can really impact your assessment of music:

My mother passed away from her battle with cancer on 10/18 and I’ve been listening to “No Erasin’” fairly often, perhaps if only for the wistful nostalgia. Somehow, it just feels right even though the song has nothing to do with the situation lol.
'Nothing was bigger for Journey than 1981’s “Escape” album. “I have to attribute that to Jonathan coming in and joining the writing team,” Steve Perry (Feb 2012).'
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby scarab » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:01 am

Gideon, so sorry for you loss. Music can be a healing experience.
And Steve's voice always makes me feel better.
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:30 am

JourneyHard wrote:I am guessing Target had some input on which songs made the regular album and which ones were bonus tracks. I love all 15 tracks, but some are better than others. Target wanted some hidden gems in their bonus five.

While it's not unusual for a retailer to get a few bonus tracks, I don't think they get to pick what songs. I would imagine Perry had final say in all creative matters regarding this project. There is no Sony type company telling him what to do.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby scarab » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:02 am

1. "No Erasin'"
2. "We're Still Here"
3. "Most of All"
4. "No More Cryin'"
5. "In the Rain"
6. "Sun Shines Gray" (featuring John 5)
7. "You Belong to Me"
8. "Angel Eyes"
8. "Easy to Love"
10. "We Fly"

This would be a better sequence.
Dont know why but the Beatles cover shouldnt belong in the 10 song release. I think I didnt even make it through the first listen.
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Onestepper » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:52 am

I'm sure others know this and I'm just really slow, but didn't realize until this week that Seals and Crofts had an album out called "Traces". Appears to be a remix of most of their hits. Accidentally ran across it when I was searching Apple Music for some stuff.
Onestepper
Cassette Tape

Postby shaneslatts » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:28 am

Gideon wrote:It’s funny how life experiences can really impact your assessment of music:

My mother passed away from her battle with cancer on 10/18 and I’ve been listening to “No Erasin’” fairly often, perhaps if only for the wistful nostalgia. Somehow, it just feels right even though the song has nothing to do with the situation lol.

So sorry for your loss.
I have come to the conclusion that the whole album is very deep, and it has an appeal to those who have suffered grief.
The whole album gives a voice to it.
Even "No Eracin".
I also realize that's not everyone's cup of tea, either.
shaneslatts
Ol' 78

Postby JourneyHard » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:50 am

I know nobody cares about this, but Steve Perry's No More Cryin' went from 54th most requested karaoke song to 44th most requested karaoke song. This list is about songs people want to be made into karaoke songs. In the next week or so, I think it will be made into a karaoke song.

For fun, here we go. A list of karaoke songs from recent Journey albums:
Eclipse had City of Hope
Revelation had After All These Years
Generations didn't have any karaoke songs
Arrival had With Your Love
Trial By Fire had Message Of Love, When You Love A Woman, If He Should Break Your Heart, Can't Tame The Lion!

Anyhow, I am excited that I should be singing a new Steve Perry song at the bar soon. :D
JourneyHard
8 Track

PreviousNext

Return to Journey