Styx - Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Styx - Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:03 pm

Seeing that Journey and Rush were inducted in the RRHoF mostly due to the fans, what do you think the chances are that Styx would get inducted? I'm assuming they would only get inducted if we are behind a huge fan backed campaign. I personally think they have enough credentials to get in, especially if you look at the background of some of the bands that were inducted in the last 5 or even 10 years.

What are your thoughts?

Also, this isn't to start a huge war, I personally think if they were to get in, it should be: DDY, Chuck, John, JY, JC and Tommy. - thoughts?
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Re: Styx - Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Postby yogi » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:08 pm

Totally deserving!, with the EXACT members you stated.

The other members that have played in Styx are huge but they did NOT get the train rolling. They jumped on AFTER the train was already running at full throttle. Importance in order of new members are: (in order)1. Todd 2. Glen 3. Gowan 4. Ricky - great musicians but not the guys who truly made Styx STYX
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:47 am

I agree, it should be the 5 guys that made the big albums.
STYX new album coming in 2021
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby yogi » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:02 pm

I say 6.
You've got to include John Curulewski. He was there from the very beginning thru Equinox.
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby gr8dane » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:44 am

I am sure Tommy JY and Chuck would want the other guys there.
They have helped keep Styx touring and recording still after all these years.
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Postby StyxCollector » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:14 am

I don't think they'll get in but I'll play along.

The RnRHOF has been all over the map. For some bands, it's just the "classic" lineup. For others it's who got them there (see: the Chili Peppers). Rarely is it the "new guys" - see Arnel, Jeff Scott Soto, and Steve Augeri). Rush was Alex, Geddy, and Neil even though Rutsey helped get them there. Keep that in mind.

DDY, Tommy, JY, CP, and JP are the locks. JC most likely. Everyone else - probably not. That doesn't mean they may not appear on stage in a performance (let's not get into what will/won't happen, a la Chicago), but I doubt GB, LG, Todd, and RP will be inducted with them if it happens. The Hall doesn't reward the people who come after.

Styx if they get in would be inducted based on 1975 - 1983 give or take. It's really 77 - 81 which makes them who they are in terms of sales, etc. Looking at 90/91 and later, none of that - be honest - significantly altered their legacy in terms of music.

Heart is a pretty good example of what may happen. The "classic" lineup gets in, performs a song, but the regular band does the rest.
StyxCollector
Cassette Tape

Postby masque » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:12 am

i love styx period.....I hate the fighting and disconnect between members, but I also understand it. I am a gigantic fan of the wooden nickel era records, but honestly if the general consensus is that Todd and Lawrence don't get it, then I also have to say JC shouldn't be in.

No disrespect to him, but the only thing he was a part of that actually matters to anyone outside of this message board was the original version of Lady, which he played and sang on, but did not write. He left not long after that became a hit.

If styx had not gone without him like they did, there would be ZERO chance that the styx from 72-75 would be anything but a faded memory one hit wonder kind of band.

the reason there is any chance of styx being considered for the HOF is because of what happened in the aftermath of lady from 77-81.

so I say you either honor pretty much everyone who has been in the band, or only those responsible for the hey day years.
masque
Cassette Tape

Postby Monker » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:20 am

The HOF is all politics and money. It has little to do with some type of argument for them being there.

If it is PC to add Styx and the HOF can make a lot of money, then you will have an argument for it.

As for who, again, it's being PC and making the HOF money. JC won't get in because he's dead and most people don't even know who he is. The newer members won't get in because they are not the ones who will make the HOF money.

The bottom line is that I doubt Styx can generate enough interest in the HOF for the HOF to even consider them.
Monker
MP3

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:21 pm

I agree. The Hall follows no set formula. Whether a band sells well over 100 million records or they influence part of a generation, it doesn’t seem to matter. They’ll choose artists that haven’t ever even had a platinum record or who I couldn’t see influencing anyone. To me it should be a combo of sales and influence. But i agree, politics.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Postby Monker » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:44 pm

Baron Von Bielski wrote:I agree. The Hall follows no set formula. Whether a band sells well over 100 million records or they influence part of a generation, it doesn’t seem to matter. They’ll choose artists that haven’t ever even had a platinum record or who I couldn’t see influencing anyone. To me it should be a combo of sales and influence. But i agree, politics.

This is why I wish there could be a second HOF...directed towards what the fans want. I always thought whoever owns the Hard Rock Cafe's could put something together...they have all of the museum quality items and such. Just find a building to exhibit a HoF and banner it the "Hard Rock Hall of Fame". Exhibit the bands and solo artists that rock fans feel really deserve it. No Madonna or Grand Master Flash, or crap like that...just rock.
Monker
MP3

Return to Styx