The Storm -- live and acoustic in Indiana

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

The Storm -- live and acoustic in Indiana

Postby CSTPaul » Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:44 am

Hello. I've been lurking here for a while, but it's time I post up since we've got something pretty exciting happening in a couple of weeks. Keep in mind we're non-profit, so I'm not making a dime on this thing.

Here's the original press release:

VALPARAISO, IN-- Chicago Street Theatre's 'One Night Jam' acoustic concert series is proud to present Top-10 recording artist Kevin Chalfant and The Storm on Sunday, October 3rd at 7pm.

Back in 1991, The Storm exploded across the nation's airwaves with their smash hit, "I've Got A Lot To Learn About Love," a song that many originally mistook for a new Journey tune, partly because the lineup included ex-Journeymen Gregg Rolie and Ross Valory. However, Storm frontman and vocalist Kevin Chalfant quickly made his own mark on the melodic rock scene as people came to realize that not only did he have a remarkable, soaring voice, but was also quite a talented songwriter as well.

First coming to national attention as the lead singer of the band 707 on their "Megaforce" album, Chalfant built on that following with two albums from The Storm, and again with his new band Two Fires. Chalfant has also sung with The Alan Parsons Live Project and Jim Peterik's World Stage project. Somewhere in between all that he started his own music label, Clique Records, and added a producer's hat.

Several years ago, Chalfant reunited with original Storm guitarist Josh Ramos and acquired the use of the band's name, and started performing again as The Storm.

Series director Paul Braun and his wife Sheri have attended several of Peterik's 'World Stage' shows, and it was during the last one that Braun realized that if he'd be willing to do it, Chalfant would be a great artist to include in the 'One Night Jam' series. A phone call to Jim Peterik confirmed that it would be a great idea, and Peterik put the two in contact. Not only would Kevin perform, but he wanted to bring the whole band to do a stripped-down, high-energy acoustic show.

According to Braun, "If you saw either of the two Jim Peterik shows at CST, you know how cool this type of show can be in our room. Kevin Chalfant brings the same sort of energy, the same style of melodic rock that Jim does. Yeah, it's a little 'retro,' if you consider the '90's 'retro', but good music is good music. And Kevin's still got that magnificent voice that everyone fell in love with back in the day."

Opening the show will be native Chicagoan and established singer/songwriter Lisa McClowry. McClowry can be currently heard all over the national and international airwaves. She is the winner of 2002 "Best Songwriter" award at the Los Angeles Best New Talents Awards Showcase.

McClowry sang the theme song "Bridge to the Stars" in the recent motion picture release The Wild Thornberrys. Along with Mark Mothersbaugh of the well-known 80's band Devo, and long time musical partner, Lavant Coppock, McClowry co-wrote and sang a featured song "Through the Eyes of A Child" in the motion picture 'The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle.' She also provided the singing voice for the animated princess in the box office hit 'The Rugrats in Paris.'

"I first saw Lisa perform during one of Jim Peterik's World Stage concerts, along with Kevin Chalfant, and she seemed a natural to open this Jam," said Braun. "One more call to Jim Peterik and the lineup was complete. This is a whole lot of talent on one stage for very little money!"

Valparaiso is a little less than an hour East of Chicago, so it's easy to get to from most anywhere.

CST's performance space is a cozy, 140-seat room. All seats are upholstered theatre seats, and all seats are reserved. There's no smoking and no alcohol, so everyone is there for the music. With a setting this intimate, you're never more than eleven rows from the stage.

World-class performers, stripped down to nothing but the music, all up-close and very personal. It's like watching a concert in your living room. And with ticket prices these days ranging anywhere from $40 to $300, $25 is a bargain for this sort of talent in a room this intimate.

For more information, go to CST's website at http://www.ctgonline.org/onj/storm.html or call the box office at 219-464-1636.
Paul Braun, Director
One Night Jam acoustic music series
Chicago Street Theatre
Valparaiso, IN
www.ctgonline.org
CSTPaul
Fresh Air
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:11 pm

Postby Tornado_Jackson » Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:49 am

If I wasn't so poor, I'd travel to Chicago just to see that.

The Storm rules.

Both of their two albums were better than any releases from Journey during or around that same time period (if they had released any). Ironically, Journey was on hiatus for pretty much all of The Storm's existence. Still, The Storm's two albums wipe the floor w/ TBF & ROR. Hands down.

"Eye of the Storm", in particular, is as close to a melodic masterpiece as one's apt to find.

I really wish Chalfant was with Journey. Much better singer.
Tornado_Jackson
 

Postby perryfaithful » Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:13 am

Tornado_Jackson wrote:I really wish Chalfant was with Journey. Much better singer.



...than augeri??
User avatar
perryfaithful
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1572
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2003 5:29 am

Postby Tornado_Jackson » Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:39 am

Yes, Perrygirl.
I've stated repeatedly to the point of nauseum on this board and the newgroup that Chalfant is eons better than Augeri could ever aspire to be.

This doesn't mean I don't enjoy Augeri. I just think Chalfant is in a class of his own. He to this day sounds like a very young Perry. I've always stated that I would take Chalfant over Augeri in a heartbeart.
However, now that Deen sings with the group we do have a singer who can sing in that equal high upper stratosphere young-perry realm.


Hope that clears things up.
Tornado_Jackson
 

Postby Monker » Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:01 pm

perryfaithful wrote:
Tornado_Jackson wrote:I really wish Chalfant was with Journey. Much better singer.



...than augeri??


Chalfant doesn't need to be in Journey.

Since Arrival has been released, Chalfant has released two "Two Fires" CD's, the US version of the second Storm album, "The VU" album, his "Running With the Wind" solo CD, a gospel CD, a Chrstmass CD in a couple months, a CD with another band this month...and he has toured regularly with Gregg and solo or with The Storm.

So, he has probably released more music as a solo act then he ever would have if he had been in Journey....a soundtrack, a live DVD, Arrival, and Red 13. I doubt that replacing Augeri with Chalfant would have changed that.
Monker
MP3
 
Posts: 10401
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm

Postby Abitaman » Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:04 pm

You are Right, Journey needs more new music out there, BIG TIME.-ERIC
Abitaman
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 4681
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:06 pm
Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby OldJourney » Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:40 am

Abitaman wrote:You are Right, Journey needs more new music out there, BIG TIME.-ERIC


A difficult thing to accomplish without a big record label behind you, and a big enough fan base that wants to hear new material.
There's No Time Like The Present
User avatar
OldJourney
Radio Waves
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:50 pm

Postby Monker » Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:45 am

OldJourney wrote:
Abitaman wrote:You are Right, Journey needs more new music out there, BIG TIME.-ERIC


A difficult thing to accomplish without a big record label behind you, and a big enough fan base that wants to hear new material.


Gee, seems to me that Kevin Chalfant has MORE 'new' music then Journey does and he does not have a 'big record label' behind him...just his own label (as Journey has) and Frontiers for European/import releases. He has a SMALLER fan base then Journey.

I think you are wrong...What it takes is effort. Currently, Journey's effort is based on touring, not on new music.
Monker
MP3
 
Posts: 10401
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm

Postby OldJourney » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:51 pm

Tornado_Jackson wrote:I've stated repeatedly to the point of nauseum I just think Chalfant is in a class of his own. He to this day sounds like a very young Perry. I've always stated that I would take Chalfant over Augeri in a heartbeart.
Hope that clears things up.


Doesn't clear up everything...

Don't hold back! Tell us how you REALLY feel...

As in anything else you have an opinion on that we should know about? :lol:

You come here tearing people and their opinions apart, and in the end it turns out you really don't care for Augeri as a singer either.

Interesting...........
:wink:
There's No Time Like The Present
User avatar
OldJourney
Radio Waves
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:50 pm

Re: The Storm -- live and acoustic in Indiana

Postby Distant Voice » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:57 pm

CSTPaul wrote:Hello. I've been lurking here for a while, but it's time I post up since we've got something pretty exciting happening in a couple of weeks. Keep in mind we're non-profit, so I'm not making a dime on this thing.

Here's the original press release:

VALPARAISO, IN-- Chicago Street Theatre's 'One Night Jam' acoustic concert series is proud to present Top-10 recording artist Kevin Chalfant and The Storm on Sunday, October 3rd at 7pm.

Back in 1991, The Storm exploded across the nation's airwaves with their smash hit, "I've Got A Lot To Learn About Love," a song that many originally mistook for a new Journey tune, partly because the lineup included ex-Journeymen Gregg Rolie and Ross Valory. However, Storm frontman and vocalist Kevin Chalfant quickly made his own mark on the melodic rock scene as people came to realize that not only did he have a remarkable, soaring voice, but was also quite a talented songwriter as well.

First coming to national attention as the lead singer of the band 707 on their "Megaforce" album, Chalfant built on that following with two albums from The Storm, and again with his new band Two Fires. Chalfant has also sung with The Alan Parsons Live Project and Jim Peterik's World Stage project. Somewhere in between all that he started his own music label, Clique Records, and added a producer's hat.

Several years ago, Chalfant reunited with original Storm guitarist Josh Ramos and acquired the use of the band's name, and started performing again as The Storm.

Series director Paul Braun and his wife Sheri have attended several of Peterik's 'World Stage' shows, and it was during the last one that Braun realized that if he'd be willing to do it, Chalfant would be a great artist to include in the 'One Night Jam' series. A phone call to Jim Peterik confirmed that it would be a great idea, and Peterik put the two in contact. Not only would Kevin perform, but he wanted to bring the whole band to do a stripped-down, high-energy acoustic show.

According to Braun, "If you saw either of the two Jim Peterik shows at CST, you know how cool this type of show can be in our room. Kevin Chalfant brings the same sort of energy, the same style of melodic rock that Jim does. Yeah, it's a little 'retro,' if you consider the '90's 'retro', but good music is good music. And Kevin's still got that magnificent voice that everyone fell in love with back in the day."

Opening the show will be native Chicagoan and established singer/songwriter Lisa McClowry. McClowry can be currently heard all over the national and international airwaves. She is the winner of 2002 "Best Songwriter" award at the Los Angeles Best New Talents Awards Showcase.

McClowry sang the theme song "Bridge to the Stars" in the recent motion picture release The Wild Thornberrys. Along with Mark Mothersbaugh of the well-known 80's band Devo, and long time musical partner, Lavant Coppock, McClowry co-wrote and sang a featured song "Through the Eyes of A Child" in the motion picture 'The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle.' She also provided the singing voice for the animated princess in the box office hit 'The Rugrats in Paris.'

"I first saw Lisa perform during one of Jim Peterik's World Stage concerts, along with Kevin Chalfant, and she seemed a natural to open this Jam," said Braun. "One more call to Jim Peterik and the lineup was complete. This is a whole lot of talent on one stage for very little money!"

Valparaiso is a little less than an hour East of Chicago, so it's easy to get to from most anywhere.

CST's performance space is a cozy, 140-seat room. All seats are upholstered theatre seats, and all seats are reserved. There's no smoking and no alcohol, so everyone is there for the music. With a setting this intimate, you're never more than eleven rows from the stage.

World-class performers, stripped down to nothing but the music, all up-close and very personal. It's like watching a concert in your living room. And with ticket prices these days ranging anywhere from $40 to $300, $25 is a bargain for this sort of talent in a room this intimate.

For more information, go to CST's website at http://www.ctgonline.org/onj/storm.html or call the box office at 219-464-1636.






I've "Always" respected Kevin Chalfant ...

I wish Journey would've adopted KC over Steve Augeri any day of the week, (he would've done the band justice)...if it had to be anybody, I wish it would've been Kevin Chalfant... but who am I to judge?
Distant Voice
Ol' 78
 
Posts: 191
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2003 2:53 am

Postby ClassicJrnyPlease » Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:09 am

Tornado_Jackson wrote:I just think Chalfant is in a class of his own. He to this day sounds like a very young Perry.




I can't totally agree because the first time I heard Kevin Chalfant singing with The Storm on the radio, I actually thought it might be SP with a new recording......
but about five seconds into whatever he was singing I realized it was NOT Steve Perry singing. Kevin is good, but not THAT good.....
:wink:
User avatar
ClassicJrnyPlease
Radio Waves
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2003 4:27 am

Postby Tornado_Jackson » Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:23 am

OldJourney wrote:

You come here tearing people and their opinions apart, and in the end it turns out you really don't care for Augeri as a singer either.

Interesting...........
:wink:


I've long grown tired of your incendiary tactics and feigned supercilousness over other posters!
Why do you insist on purposely misconstruing what I say time and time again? :x :evil:

You're a liar.

I didn't say that at all.

Show me where I said I don't care for Augeri. I defy you too.
You can't - because I never said that.
Apparently, I must dislike Augeri so so so much that I own Tall stories, Tyketto, Journey 2001 Live DVD, Arrival, Red 13 etc etc
Yep. I really dislike him. :roll:
So much so, in fact, that I've blown well over a few hundred bucks on seeing him live for the past 5 years.

Amazing how you quote my post word for word except for the part wherein I stated emphatically that I DO enjoy Augeri as a performer and singer. My, how convenient of you to omit that line. Must have been a legitimate accident, right? :roll: :roll:

For specifity's sake, what I said was, while I do enjoy Augeri, I just think Chalfant is just a much better singer.
I didn't say I don't like Augeri.
God forbid, I am honest and state that I prefer Chalfant over Augeri.
Am I not allowed to like one singer more than the other?
See, unlike you and your fellow sectarian-minded Perry kindred, I dont feel the need to be loyal and an avid follower of only ONE musician.
Hate to break it to yah, but there are plenty of other musician's out in the world besides Steve Perry and nowhere are you bound to listen to the music of just ONE.
As far as I am concerned, Perry is good, so is Augeri, so is Rolie, and so is Chalfant.
I enjoy listening to them all.

Does my personal listening preference for one over the other somehow nullify the other singers' respective talents?
Of course not. Not by any means.
They are all talented men in my book.

Rock music fans can see this. Perrynutzoids cannot.
Last edited by Tornado_Jackson on Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tornado_Jackson
 

Re: The Storm -- live and acoustic in Indiana

Postby Tornado_Jackson » Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:45 am

Distant Voice wrote:I've "Always" respected Kevin Chalfant ...


Just out of curiosity, why are you able to respect Chalfant but seemingly can't do the same for Steve Augeri?
What has he personally done to you?
All inescapeable Perry-similarities aside, aren't Kevin and Steve A. both wonderful unique singers in their own right and deserved of a equitable share of respect?
Just curious.
Tornado_Jackson
 

Postby OldJourney » Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:48 am

You consistently take both sides of every situation so as not to be mistakenly associated with one side or another. I assume you are not studying Law, since you constantly have trouble taking a stand for something and sticking to it.

Another clue is evidenced by your penchant for trying to break the Law, to see what you can ...and cannot ...get away with...



Tornado_Jackson wrote: You're a liar.


No not really.... :roll:


Tornado_Jackson wrote:
Show me where I said I don't care for Augeri.
I defy you too.
You can't - because I never said that.


.............Be careful what you wish for

Tornado_Jackson wrote: "Perrynutzoids"


Another Nice one....... :roll:
There's No Time Like The Present
User avatar
OldJourney
Radio Waves
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:50 pm

Postby Tornado_Jackson » Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:33 am

OldJourney wrote: You consistently take both sides of every situation so as not to be mistakenly associated with one side or another. I assume you are not studying Law, since you constantly have trouble taking a stand for something and sticking to it.


Nope.
Sorry.
Wrong (yet) again.
You are seemingly overlooking the simple fact that I don't HAVE TO take ONE side. Why should I?
-Just because you ONLY like Steve Perry doesn't mean every other Journey fan has to.
Believe it or not, some people enjoy BOTH Steve Perry AND Steve Augeri's vocal talents.
It's not a matter of waffling on issues but, rather, one of personal opinion.
I like both Augeri & Perry, you don't.
For the last time, we get it.
Now, please, it's been well over 6 years, do try and get over it.

As I stated before, there are plenty of other musicians out in the world (besides Steve Perry) and last time I checked, nowhere is it mandated that the consumer be bound to listen to solely the music of only ONE.
As far as I am concerned, Perry is good, so is Augeri, so is Rolie, and so is Chalfant.
Actually, I enjoy listening to them all.
Uh-oh, does such a statement make me a "flip-flopper" or somehow ambivalent in your eyes?
What's wrong with liking more than one singer in a band?
Why can't I like both Augeri, Perry (and to a lesser extent Fleishman)?
Heck, I like Hagar, Roth AND Cherone (to a degree).
You got a problem with that, as well?
Say, why exactly do you care what music I listen to anyhow?
Don't you have a life of your own?

Also, your claim that I consistently take BOTH sides of a situation are false. I've adhered to my claims since my very first post here. I've always been of the belief that GH+ 5 was a generally lazy effort set forth by Perry. Likewise, I've always stated that Arrival was essentially made to be a snoozer, a TBF part two, if you will. I've always raved about Red 13. I think Perry feigned or at the very least embellished his hip injury during the time of TBF. I think Neal and Jon made the right move by getting the band on the road. I think 'Remember Me' is a particularly strong track from the current era.
Frontiers & Departure are my favorite albums from the group.
I've always stood behind these beliefs and shall continue to do so.
I don't habitually waffle on my opinions. Never have.


Sorry. You have no argument.
Tornado_Jackson
 

Postby Abitaman » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:50 am

To me it does not matter if it's Perry, Augeri, or Chalfant. They are all great singers, who sound alot a like, yet with their own distinct differences. I agree alot with T.J. on what he says, I to like Chalfant better, but that maybe just because he has more material out there to listen to. I own all of Chalfant's and Augeri's cds. And Chalfant more than doubles Augeri's material. So who do I know better, Chalfant. The more you lnow, the better you are to make a judgment on something. And it goes back to what I and a lot of other Journey fans have been saying, "Journey needs to get there butts in the studio, NOW".-ERIC
Abitaman
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 4681
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:06 pm
Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby mystichealer » Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:15 am

Abitaman wrote:To me it does not matter if it's Perry, Augeri, or Chalfant. They are all great singers, who sound alot a like, yet with their own distinct differences. I agree alot with T.J. on what he says, I to like Chalfant better, but that maybe just because he has more material out there to listen to. I own all of Chalfant's and Augeri's cds. And Chalfant more than doubles Augeri's material. So who do I know better, Chalfant. The more you lnow, the better you are to make a judgment on something. And it goes back to what I and a lot of other Journey fans have been saying, "Journey needs to get there butts in the studio, NOW".-ERIC



I agree that the band need to get in that damned studio right now, but i tell ya what, if the next recording is anything like Red 13 i shall have to bin the thing again, just like i did to that garbage Red 13. That (thing) has no soul, no passion and no hooks. Augeri's vocals are so poorly mixed he must be embarrassed. Let the man sing for god's sake. Where are those memorable hooks and chorus's. Red 13 was disgraceful by Journey standards. I sincerely hope they get their arse's into gear with the next one.


MH
User avatar
mystichealer
Ol' 78
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 12:10 am

Postby mystichealer » Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:18 am

Ohh and i too prefer Chalfant over Augeri. Not because he has more stuff available or has done much more, but for the simple fact that he is a superior singer.


MH
User avatar
mystichealer
Ol' 78
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 12:10 am

Postby perryfaithful » Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:12 am

mystichealer wrote:Ohh and i too prefer Chalfant over Augeri. Not because he has more stuff available or has done much more, but for the simple fact that he is a superior singer.


MH


Works for me also
User avatar
perryfaithful
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1572
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2003 5:29 am

Your error light is flashing again

Postby Tornado_Jackson » Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:41 am

perryfaithful wrote: Works for me also


So let me see if I have this straight:
In your eyes what Neal did and currently is doing is abhorrent.
You repeatedly claim that kicking Perry out for the Perry-ish sounding Steve Augeri was sacrilige, but yet, somehow, kicking him out for another similarly sounding vocalist (Chalfant) would be perfectly acceptable?
HUH :?:
What happened to your staunch "nobody but Perry" convictions?
Apparently, in all actuality, you really couldn't give two titanium hips whether or not it was Perry singing those tunes on stage.
So much for being the oh-so resolute Perry-faithful. :roll: :roll:

What a bunch of transparent bullshit artists.
Tornado_Jackson
 


Return to Journey

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSN [Bot] and 3 guests